: Electrical Problems II

BigKat
07-05-04, 09:14 AM
Two weeks ago I had a complete electrical failure while driving, dealer replaced the alternator. Now, I've had a dead battery each of three mornings so its back to the dealer. They found that the slide switch on the headliner near the dome lights is defective. If the slide switch it pushed too far forward and left that way, there is a continual drain on the battery over night, although everything appears to be shut down. The dealer said that the GM people have issued a technical advisory about it but they don't have a fix yet. In the meantime I'm told to leave the switch in the position towards the rear of the car or the dimmest setting until they can come up with a fix. I'm doing that and the battery is OK this week. Also, no fix yet for the car continually jumping out of second gear.

GTS21
07-05-04, 12:53 PM
Two weeks ago I had a complete electrical failure while driving, dealer replaced the alternator. Now, I've had a dead battery each of three mornings so its back to the dealer. They found that the slide switch on the headliner near the dome lights is defective. If the slide switch it pushed too far forward and left that way, there is a continual drain on the battery over night, although everything appears to be shut down. The dealer said that the GM people have issued a technical advisory about it but they don't have a fix yet. In the meantime I'm told to leave the switch in the position towards the rear of the car or the dimmest setting until they can come up with a fix. I'm doing that and the battery is OK this week. Also, no fix yet for the car continually jumping out of second gear.
As to the 2nd gear issue, is it jumping out of 2nd on downshifts? Several people have had this problem. I just had my tranny replaced because of it.

2004ctsv
07-05-04, 05:37 PM
Interesting - last week the battery was dead after sitting in the garage for a little over one week. No accessories or lights were left on. I hooked up a 6 amp charger and the battery came right back. I didn't think anything about it then but I'll try to let it sit again to see if the battery dies again.

Cal
07-05-04, 07:24 PM
That is your punishment for not driving the V for 7 days. She is very tempermental and hates being ignored!

BigKat
07-06-04, 11:46 AM
You know Cal, I think you're right. She's more tempermental than my wife. I hope it doesn't come down to a choice between my wife and the "V", cause I sure could use more closet space. By the way, I'm a transplanted Jersey-ite,
Exit 14A.