: Have you had your V to the 1/4 mile? Come on in.....

Cadillac Tony
03-02-09, 03:32 PM
One of my customers called me today with a question I can't answer, so I'm posting this up and hoping some people here have a few suggestions for him.

He ran his Automatic 2009 down the 1/4 mile this weekend, and was pretty happy with the results (a 12.15 on street tires on an un-prepped track). He said several SRT8 Challengers with headers, tunes and slicks were no match for the V (:D), but he had to choose between feathering the throttle in 1st to avoid massive wheelspin or leaving TC on and having the throttle cut way down by the computer- his trap speeds were awesome, but 60ft times are keeping him out of the 11s.

Any suggestions from Auto V owners who have achieved some good 60ft times?

concorso
03-02-09, 04:06 PM
A rolling start. :)

Albertan
03-02-09, 04:35 PM
Tony
You are a good guy. I don't think I'd mention taking my new car to the dragstrip to very many dealers. I can just see warranty denied due to racing.

wait4me
03-02-09, 04:54 PM
He tried all three modes? What tire pressure? Did he buy and use some VHT? Maybe just needs to buy some stickier tires. :)

Cadillac Tony
03-02-09, 05:14 PM
I ran the stickier tires suggestion by him, but he really wants to do it on street rubber. I didn't ask about pressure, but he's an experienced drag racer so I figured he already had that under control.

By the way- he's very happy with your tune.

wait4me
03-02-09, 06:01 PM
Maybe the VHT might help then? OR trying a higher psi, Also did he try the sport mode and then the touring mode to maybe see if there is a gain? I can't wait till our local tracks open back up. I want to play with the car reallly bad.. I would think that competition mode with sport suspension mode one would be the best with street tires. It will allow some wheel slip before pulling power AS LONG AS NO SIDEWAYS ACTION happens. That and maybe some good foot action to just manually regulate the amount of power you put down.. :) With slicks, i can see low 11s pretty easy. Just need a wot 4k launch. :) My goal is to hit 11.5s with all stock just a tune and airbox. Then no idea what a pulley would do.. That would be for another day.

Cadillac Tony
03-02-09, 06:21 PM
We talked about the two suspension modes, and I actually think the "tour" setting would be better at the strip since it'll allow a little more rear squat on the launch.

SRT**8
03-02-09, 06:57 PM
what was the trap MPH?

wait4me
03-02-09, 07:20 PM
can he post a time slip or vid of it? :)

Richie18
03-02-09, 07:43 PM
Tony
You are a good guy. I don't think I'd mention taking my new car to the dragstrip to very many dealers. I can just see warranty denied due to racing.

Being that the CTS-V is a street race car that was tuned on the Nurburgring, isn't racing the car exactly what it was meant for. This car was built to be pushed to the max. Rotors, pad and tires are the only thing one should be worried about having to be replaced while under warranty.

CVP33
03-02-09, 07:51 PM
Headers, tune and slicks are good for 12.40's. .25 in the quarter mile is an ass beating. If stock V's are hitting 12.15's in the hands of novice drivers that need advise from their saleperson (no offense Tony) then I simply can't wait until the day I get mine!

Razorecko
03-02-09, 08:01 PM
well didn't the v engineers state that the v is a mid to high 11 stock vehicle ?

Richie18
03-02-09, 08:15 PM
Headers, tune and slicks are good for 12.40's. .25 in the quarter mile is an ass beating. If stock V's are hitting 12.15's in the hands of novice drivers that need advise from their saleperson (no offense Tony) then I simply can't wait until the day I get mine!

I ran the stickier tires suggestion by him, but he really wants to do it on street rubber. I didn't ask about pressure, but he's an experienced drag racer so I figured he already had that under control.

By the way- he's very happy with your tune.

Edmunds.com managed a 12.40 @ 114.7 MPH
Motortrend managed a 12.40 @ 117.1 MPH in the manual and 12.3 @ 117.5 in the Auto

So it seems that with headers, tune and slicks 12.40 is not a very good time.

:thumbsup:

CVP33
03-02-09, 08:53 PM
Edmunds.com managed a 12.40 @ 114.7 MPH
Motortrend managed a 12.40 @ 117.1 MPH in the manual and 12.3 @ 117.5 in the Auto

So it seems that with headers, tune and slicks 12.40 is not a very good time.

:thumbsup:

Sorry my post wasn't very clear. 12.40 with slicks, tune, headers is for an SRT8.

jjsC6
03-02-09, 09:42 PM
Just remember when running street tires - cool weather is great for making hp, but not good for traction. Hot weather is better for traction, but worse for hp. It takes a lot of finesse to launch in cold weather.

I'd try 25lbs +/- a little with traction control off, and back peddle if it lights them up.

John B
03-03-09, 03:20 PM
Tony, what was the MPH for the V?

Cadillac Tony
03-03-09, 05:37 PM
He reads the forums, but can't post time slips or video here since he's not very Internet savvy. I believe he said the trap speed was around 115 on his 12.15 run if I remember correctly.

haterinc
03-03-09, 06:23 PM
i have a lot to say... but everytime i scroll to the bottom to post... i keep being drawn to ebay to bid on Britney Spears signed photo, and then Tara Reid asked me to bid on her signed photo, and lastly i guess Carmen Electra wants me to bid on her as well....

now what was i going to write on here again? ... hmmm lol

SRT8/BMW
03-03-09, 08:20 PM

hey CVP how the hell are you. Most of our conversations were back in the day when you were on the srt8 board. Anyway..I have seen guys who knew what they were doing get an srt8 with diablo, thermostat, intake and catback--on slicks--get 12.3 @114 on repeated runs. Hell--I am getting my srt8 to 12.7@111 with just a tune. I have a 300C with headers, catback, heads, cam, tune intake--gets 12.8 on HEAVY street wheels and much better with DRs.

I was the one at Milan dragway when they were testing the V back in october. they got 12.2 in the manual and 12.3 in the auto--both @ 120 I beleive. 60 ft times were 1.95ish (I posted a vid of me running one in my BMW. I also posted my first Gtech run in the V--I know the acuracy is not that of a track timer--but that was 11.87 and in the 120s I will just say.

I will be SHOCKED if someone who knows there way around a strip, and with a little practice launching, doesn't get 11s this spring in a completely stock V. Shocked. lower tire pressure in back, higher in front, wand nail the launch with the engine cool..it is going to happen. I think Joe average will get 12.3-give or take. My two cents...we will see soon when the tracks in the east and midwest start opening.

CVP33
03-03-09, 09:20 PM
Good post. Aware of all of that as I followed your post re: the V's 1/4 performance. I was thinking that these may be factory prepped vehicles. But now that a stock V in the hands of a newbie is hitting 12.15's I have no doubt that this car will deliver 11.XX's with no issues. Now I just have to figure out how to afford one now vs. waiting 2 years.

eagle_lex
03-04-09, 04:15 PM
cvp33, thats my deal too... cant swing 68g's for a recaro nav deal..... but it is a great bang for the buck. i hope next year i can find a cherry with about 15k on it for somwhere close to high 40's or mid 50's. im saving!

SRT8B2NV
03-04-09, 06:06 PM
what was the trap MPH?

He trapped 118.9!! The car was very hard to control and as Tony said the driver isn't a newbie to drag racing!!
I own 2 SRT8's!! There isn't much comparision of the two cars STOCK!!
Both of my SRT8's are modded one runs 11.7 on motor and the other runs 12.31.

Cadillac Tony
03-04-09, 06:38 PM
Were you there that night? If the guy's name is Jack and it was a Black V with Recaros, that's the guy.

wait4me
03-04-09, 08:10 PM
Jack called me today and asked for some pointers. I dont think he set the suspension in the right mode. He is going to put it in sport mode next time. He said 1st gear was worthless as far as traction goes, so he really needs to get some sticky tires for it and i think he can hit mid 11s. I think he told me he hit a near 12 flat in one run.. Not to bad for the first time out and bad 0to60ft times.

SRT8B2NV
03-04-09, 08:44 PM
Were you there that night? If the guy's name is Jack and it was a Black V with Recaros, that's the guy.

Tony yes it is Jack the one you sold him he's out of VA!! He is a very good friend of mine.

FreddyG
03-04-09, 09:35 PM
Actually Nitto makes a Great street tire (Invo).

It works in all weather and hooks pretty well for a full tread street tire.

Nitto Invo sizes and info......................... (http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.invo)

If you stop and think about it, the Vee's are set up to do everything well, especially handling. A suspension set up that's good for drag racing isn't good for road racing and vice versa, so for these cars to go low twelves on OEM tires, is a testament to GM engineering and just how Amazing these cars are!

Just thinking out loud here!

Cadillac Tony
04-03-09, 03:00 PM
Tony yes it is Jack the one you sold him he's out of VA!! He is a very good friend of mine.

Jack's a great guy. Tell him I said "Hi", and to give me a call when he breaks into the 11s. :lildevil:

^caddyowner
04-03-09, 03:19 PM
Hot weather is better for traction, but worse for hp.

Eh, it depends. Hot weather will make the oils in the
asphalt come up and just make the track greasy.

SRT8/BMW
04-03-09, 03:26 PM
went to track two weekends ago. bad track prep (and 60 ft times) but good air. best time- 12.3 best trap 119

went again last weekend. good track prep but bad-humid air. Improved my 60 ft times down below 2.0--but best time 12.4 and best trap 116