: For those that had their Vs tuned...

Luna.
03-02-09, 02:24 PM
Am I the only one disappointed in the throttle response of the '09 V?

Make no mistake, I absolutely LOVE my '09, but I must admit that I'm very disappointed in the throttle response.

It lags so bad, the car feels like it's turbo charged, NOT supercharged, which is in direct conflict with my '05 V + maggie (or even my friggin camaro, which has a paltry ~300 hp). Once it gets going, it pulls pretty good, but throttle response is awful.

As such, my question is this:

Does a tune (significantly) improve throttle response?

I'm going to get it tuned regardless, but I'm trying to set my expectations

wait4me
03-02-09, 03:44 PM
If you order one from me and dont like it in a week, i will refund your money.

Dr. Design
03-02-09, 06:03 PM
Hello Luna,
Since you are local, you should swing by and we will throw one of our boxes on there and see if you like that. No charge for test drive :shhh: .

Give us a call.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Make no mistake, I absolutely LOVE my '09, but I must admit that I'm very disappointed in the throttle response.

It lags so bad, the car feels like it's turbo charged, NOT supercharged, which is in direct conflict with my '05 V + maggie (or even my friggin camaro, which has a paltry ~300 hp). Once it gets going, it pulls pretty good, but throttle response is awful.

wait4me
03-02-09, 06:39 PM
I dont want to start anything, but on your inline box, it is flawed. Monitor line pressure commanded via the TCM when you have your box on there at wot..

Line pressures are chosen based on engine loads and torque values. Your box leans out the fuel by "Tricking " the amount of air entering the engine and leaning it out. Which also in turn makes the calculated torque values and load no longer be correct.

What you will have is a bunch of blown up 4l90E transmissions with premature clutch failure...

Not enough line pressure on this trans is not a good thing.

The T43 trans controller will adjust and fix the normal driving stuff by a certain amount but wont fix wot in all modes...

NormV
03-02-09, 06:41 PM
Got to love piss water 91 octane on force induction! :)

Norm

Dr Chill
03-03-09, 12:23 AM
How do either product affect the warranty and can the car easily be converted back to stock before going back to the dealer for service?

Cub Cadet
03-03-09, 12:04 PM

I am betting that you have an automatic, right? GM cuts most of the performance out of the shifting and creates lag so that the transmission can last over 100,000 miles. Same thing happened on the Trailblazer SS... the aftermarket tunes could be quite a bit more aggressive, but the weak transmission cannot hold additional power.
This is one of the reasons my order will be for a 6spd V. I am tired of these crappy GM automatic transmissions.

PSRmark
03-03-09, 01:17 PM
I dont want to start anything, but on your inline box, it is flawed. Monitor line pressure commanded via the TCM when you have your box on there at wot..

Line pressures are chosen based on engine loads and torque values. Your box leans out the fuel by "Tricking " the amount of air entering the engine and leaning it out. Which also in turn makes the calculated torque values and load no longer be correct.

What you will have is a bunch of blown up 4l90E transmissions with premature clutch failure...

Not enough line pressure on this trans is not a good thing.

The T43 trans controller will adjust and fix the normal driving stuff by a certain amount but wont fix wot in all modes...

Thank you for bringing this up, we are aware that the loaded values are altered, but its such a minute amount that line pressure has not been effected to the point of any concern. We have years of testing on the 6l80 trans with the plug in unit and have yet to see any issues.

A full custom tune is always the best option, it allows for much more to be done via ECM and TCM tuning. But not everyone wants the hassle of going to a dyno tuner, or they don't have a tuner in their area...as I'm sure you are aware the factory sends out Engine/trans recalibrations all the time and sometimes to make it "easier" on the customer they perform the actions of an update while the vehicle is in for normal servicing not knowing that a custom tune is in the PCM.

Luna.
03-03-09, 01:59 PM
Got to love piss water 91 octane on force induction! :)

Norm

LOL. Aye

How do either product affect the warranty and can the car easily be converted back to stock before going back to the dealer for service?

In my humble opinion, minimal impact on warranty, but, perhaps, that is just me.

I am betting that you have an automatic, right? GM cuts most of the performance out of the shifting and creates lag so that the transmission can last over 100,000 miles. Same thing happened on the Trailblazer SS... the aftermarket tunes could be quite a bit more aggressive, but the weak transmission cannot hold additional power.
This is one of the reasons my order will be for a 6spd V. I am tired of these crappy GM automatic transmissions.

I have the manual transmission, same as my '05 V.

I guess it just seems to me that the maggie put it's boost down RIGHT NOW, while it takes this GM system longer to get rolling (Note that the GM system is quiet, and NOT my preference, but they have to cater to people who don't like the whine...all about the money, yes, but I still roll my eyes...).

That makes me wonder if it's a conscience decision to have the boost sort-of "roll-in" rather than RIGHT NOW! :suspect:

Thank you for bringing this up, we are aware that the loaded values are altered, but its such a minute amount that line pressure has not been effected to the point of any concern. We have years of testing on the 6l80 trans with the plug in unit and have yet to see any issues.

A full custom tune is always the best option, it allows for much more to be done via ECM and TCM tuning. But not everyone wants the hassle of going to a dyno tuner, or they don't have a tuner in their area...as I'm sure you are aware the factory sends out Engine/trans recalibrations all the time and sometimes to make it "easier" on the customer they perform the actions of an update while the vehicle is in for normal servicing not knowing that a custom tune is in the PCM.

I thought D3 did full PCM tunes, yes?

I'm definitely getting a full PCM tune; I was just wondering if a tune (significantly) improved throttle response

PSRmark
03-03-09, 02:25 PM
Yes, we do full custom tunes. It's the best way to go IMO

Dr Chill
03-03-09, 05:10 PM
Won't a custom tune be wiped out when the dealer reflashes or updates the ECM?

Cadillac Tony
03-03-09, 05:35 PM
You're probably running Rick's Maggie tune or a dyno tune on your other V, right Luna? If so, they would have recalibrated the gap between "commanded" and "actual" throttle position to make things a little more crisp.

GM tunes the ETCs on all their cars to have a bit of "lag" to make tip in and out smoother, as well as to reduce shock on the driveline. Most LSx tuners working on cars with fly-by-wire throttles make this one of the first things they change. I know I felt a big difference on my NA 2004, so I assume it makes a huge difference on a FI car.

Of course all this is my opinion as an enthusiast (not a Dealer), but I've always found a custom tune of the PCM like Jesse offers or a hands on dyno tune the best approach for power and driveability.

Luna.
03-03-09, 06:12 PM
You're probably running Rick's Maggie tune or a dyno tune on your other V, right Luna? If so, they would have recalibrated the gap between "commanded" and "actual" throttle position to make things a little more crisp.

GM tunes the ETCs on all their cars to have a bit of "lag" to make tip in and out smoother, as well as to reduce shock on the driveline. Most LSx tuners working on cars with fly-by-wire throttles make this one of the first things they change. I know I felt a big difference on my NA 2004, so I assume it makes a huge difference on a FI car.

Of course all this is my opinion as an enthusiast (not a Dealer), but I've always found a custom tune of the PCM like Jesse offers or a hands on dyno tune the best approach for power and driveability.

Thanks Tony. That makes a LOT of sense.

Yes, I've been running a dyno tune in my maggied-'05 for so long, so don't even remember what the NA version, with the stock tune, even feels like.

That's good news, for the lack of throttle response, when you have that much power, is driving my nuts (short-trip, yes, but...)

GMX322V S/C
03-04-09, 11:02 PM
...GM tunes the ETCs on all their cars to have a bit of "lag" to make tip in and out smoother, as well as to reduce shock on the driveline. Most LSx tuners working on cars with fly-by-wire throttles make this one of the first things they change. I know I felt a big difference on my NA 2004, so I assume it makes a huge difference on a FI car...Remarkable. So after doing this, the auto could widen the quickness gap with the manual even more?

Luna.
03-05-09, 12:08 AM
Remarkable. So after doing this, the auto could widen the quickness gap with the manual even more?

Not sure that makes a lot of sense. Why wouldn't they both receive similar benefit?? :hmm:

M5eatr
03-05-09, 10:22 AM
Hello guys and gals. I haven't been on the boards for some time. Have been shorting the Hussein O'Bama market. Made some nice scratch that I am putting down on a Black auto 09 V. Will pick it up Saturday. Did not hear too much about tunes, there seems to be a lack of information or testers. One of the first things I thought would be developed is a pully swap, to increase boost. Is anyone working on this? Thanks in advance.

atdeneve
03-05-09, 10:27 AM
Oh, I'd say there's quite a bit of testing and development going on. Almost right from the get go...

M5eatr
03-05-09, 10:35 AM
Great, so besides a tune, what else is out there? I'd really like to know if there is a pulley swap out there.

atdeneve
03-05-09, 11:36 AM
Jesse s'done quite a bit of tinkering with his V2s. Just browse through some of his stuff. Air box mod, headers, pulley swaps, nitrous, tune, etc.

Some have done modifications to the exhaust to get rid of em gawd awful crimps. There are Vs easily putting upwards of 500 to ground. Wait4me got more to the ground than the V2 comes stock at the crank. He got 559 hp with a 2.55 pulley swap and the air box mod. With extra boost and catback, he doesn't see 600 hp being a problem.

And getting into the 11s is a cake walk.

atdeneve
03-05-09, 11:41 AM
That was 559 lb-ft of torque, as well.

And the nitrous was to blow up his engine. Which he failed to do.

And what's the deal with the editing? And the post tools (there just images; you can't select any of them)?

atdeneve
03-05-09, 11:44 AM
they're <grumble>

Seriously, wat's up with the editing? Sucks sweaty shit balls.

M5eatr
03-05-09, 12:19 PM
Thanks. I guess there is a plethora of information out there. I just looked for the threads briefly.

N2O/O2 would be great. I have tons of it. The good stuff. W/O the sulfur.

GMX322V S/C
03-05-09, 11:59 PM
^Ah yes, I was thinking line pressure inside the auto, not throttle control. Mea culpa.