: Painting V2 Brake Calipers

bergstpg
03-02-09, 12:29 PM
I am planning to bring in my CTS-V to the local paint shop to paint the brake calipers. Haven't decided on color yet but red and yellow are at the top of the list.

Is there a Sherman Williams(the preferred paint brand this shop uses) type of paint I should use to prevent premature cracking, pealing, chipping, or fadding? I ask because I believe they can get pretty hot and are exposed to a lot more then the side pannels of the car.

Two - I would like to put a decale on them as well. I am considering either replace the Cadillac one that is on there now or the word BREMBO. Will a decale work here or does it need to be custom paiting on - for the reasons mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!

Paul

wait4me
03-02-09, 01:07 PM
Probably be better to get them powder coated. That way they will last a little longer and not be eaten by the brake dust as bad. As for brembo stickers, there are some high temp ones you can get and have them put on in the clear coat stage i think? so they will always stay on there. I had some done for my older V and it worked out VERY nicely. The red i used was Very Very red. Like cherry lipstick.

AZstar
03-02-09, 04:48 PM
I used Plasti-kote on my 2004 CTS-V. It was easy to apply and has lasted many miles including track time.

Razorecko
03-03-09, 11:38 AM
I'd go for blue/white ( zr1 ) also make sure you know your color def. If you powdercoat you wont be able to strip the powder coat later on w/out destroying the seals.

ctsv5005
03-04-09, 11:14 AM
I am planning to bring in my CTS-V to the local paint shop to paint the brake calipers. Haven't decided on color yet but red and yellow are at the top of the list.

Is there a Sherman Williams(the preferred paint brand this shop uses) type of paint I should use to prevent premature cracking, pealing, chipping, or fadding? I ask because I believe they can get pretty hot and are exposed to a lot more then the side pannels of the car.

Two - I would like to put a decale on them as well. I am considering either replace the Cadillac one that is on there now or the word BREMBO. Will a decale work here or does it need to be custom paiting on - for the reasons mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!

Paul
ive painted mine red...

bergstpg
03-04-09, 01:20 PM
Did you stencil it? Use a decale?

AZstar
03-04-09, 02:56 PM
I covered the V with painters tape when I did mine. I cut with a utility knife around the edge so the line was sharp. It looked really good with the red caliper and the silver and black V logo in the center.

bergstpg
03-04-09, 03:32 PM
I just ordered the brembo stencils. Going to change it up.

OldRoadDawg
03-04-09, 08:26 PM
I like the au naturale gold calipers that have been 'gently' heated up.