: 02-04 tranny and diff problems

tabascotk
03-02-09, 08:54 AM
I found an escalade that I like. The owner said the tranny and front diff were replaced at 63,000 miles. He said that the 02-04 escalades had problems with slippage in those years. I'm wondering how common that is, and if it's a cause for concern if I buy a different one. The last thing I want to do is buy a vehicle, and have to throw a new tranny in it right away.

bstiffmanofsteel
03-02-09, 12:47 PM
I have an 02 with approximately 55k on it. I bought it 3 years ago with 20k and thus far no issues. I have heard that the 02 transmissions had problems with slippage, but I have been blessed to not have that issue

joee5
03-02-09, 01:09 PM
I have an 04 with 56K and, Knocking on wood, no problems thus far. God Bless,Joe

luxurylife33
03-02-09, 07:40 PM
It is a very, very common problem for the differential. Most members on here will agree. According to my carfax, my EXT's diff was changed under warranty just under 15k miles! Your lucky the car your looking at already had it replaced, just ask for receipts, make sure it was done by the dealer or reputable shop. From what I gathered, this was more of an issue with the 4wd escalades and less common on 2wd's.

I have never heard of any issues with the tranny though.

Caddydude420
03-02-09, 10:17 PM
I have an 03 EXT AWD. The tranny was slipping and was rebuilt at around 70k miles.

Guyz1996deville
03-03-09, 12:58 PM
My Escalade is slipping now pretty good. Bringing it in for a rebuild and a new Torque converter on Monday I am thinking. It is going to run 1349.00 for me. Pretty good price I think concidering. Cheaper than an extended warrenty. I am going to have some updates done too. Changing the 3 pack to a 5 pack on the plates, as well as updating the booster solonoid. The price you pay to make sure you don't end up stranded. I beat on my truck pretty hard too. Supprised it lasted this long. I have changed all of my fluid regularaly too