: Do I need to warm the engine up before driving?

pcguy760
03-01-09, 02:54 AM
Ok I read the Tech Archive here and they kept talking about how great the Northstar V8 was and how it did not really need to be warmed up, etc. just start and drive...

This is my first Caddy (02 Esc) so I would like to know, do I need to warm my engine up in cold weather (20 Deg. F, etc) or not??

I do not rev past 2500 when it is cold anyways just until I clarify that it is okay with you guys...

slk230mb
03-01-09, 10:44 AM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I've had my truck through the winters of upstate NY and when it wasn't covered in snow I just got in and went. No ill effects here. When it's been warmed up when it's cold it, it's most likely when I had friends with me who didn't want to sit in a cold car or when snow needed to be cleaned off.

fasteddyII
03-01-09, 11:16 AM
Ok I read the Tech Archive here and they kept talking about how great the Northstar V8 was and how it did not really need to be warmed up, etc. just start and drive...

This is my first Caddy (02 Esc) so I would like to know, do I need to warm my engine up in cold weather (20 Deg. F, etc) or not??

I do not rev past 2500 when it is cold anyways just until I clarify that it is okay with you guys...

IMO and from reading in the past - if you have the right oil for the weather you are fine.

joee5
03-01-09, 11:40 AM
I dont think so but I do in the cold months. Minute or two tops. God Bless,Joe

luxurylife33
03-01-09, 12:04 PM
You do not need to "warm up" any fuel injected motor. Keep it under 40mph for the first min or two until the temp gauge rises above the first solid line. I warm mine up with the remote start so the cabin is nice and toasty in the winter months, but it wont harm your engine if u start it up and just start driving!

ratbike1
03-01-09, 12:05 PM
In theory; you do not need to warm up newer engines. With that said- I still give mine a minute or two in the cold weather... old habits die hard.

pcguy760
03-01-09, 06:58 PM
Haha, I hear ya on that one ratbike and I think I am gonna wait a minute or two, keep it below 40 until warmed up. I need to get a remote starter on this like I did in my Expedition but I am in no hurry now since winter is almost over...

ratbike1
03-02-09, 08:05 AM
Haha, I hear ya on that one ratbike and I think I am gonna wait a minute or two, keep it below 40 until warmed up. I need to get a remote starter on this like I did in my Expedition but I am in no hurry now since winter is almost over...

I was thinking the same; of course I came out to 6" of snow on the truck this AM!! :rant2:

ewill3rd
03-02-09, 08:11 AM
In sub zero temps maybe.
Under normal driving conditions, no.

Guyz1996deville
03-03-09, 01:03 PM
I figure that it is always nice to give it a minute or so in the cold temps. I figure enough oil to get to the top end is always good. Circulate and accelerate. So funny when you hear Harleys start up and instantly rev the piss out of them. I just chuckle and think " stupid "!