: North Texas Track Day Videos

Kmajecki
02-28-09, 10:10 PM
Gotta love Texas weather. Was in the 80's a couple days ago, this morning... 34. Windows down on the track, i made good use of the seat heaters! Good news for me, that clutch was perfect all day! I think i finally know how the other half lives :) Track was a lot of fun. More fun than Motorsport Ranch in my opinion as this one had many more straights. Also, last time i tracked i had the maggie and i must say i definitely prefer the N/A route. Mainly for reliability, but the car was just easier for a noob tracker to handle as the power was more consistent. I rarely had to use anything other than 3rd, and as you'll see there were times i could have briefly used fourth but just spent that time setting up for the turn.

I did pretty well. Never got passed and instructor signed me off to go solo the last 2 sessions. I didnt get video of it, but i passed up a stock C6, Cobalt SS, Boxter, and an older M3 in the first session. 2nd session, i got behind the boxter and apparently he got a lil nervous as he spun out into the field right in front of me at turn 10 (see map below). I got many many comments on the exhaust. My instructor picked me after hearing the idle as he got to drive the first 3 laps, most guys were just assigned an instructor. I know it's just for fun, varying level of drivers, etc... but man it felt good passing all those cars!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/ECR-Map-2-1-08.jpg

wzLQtuO7HO8

50secs into this one i got a little ambitious ;)
5MJYPv-uUIY

thebigjimsho
03-01-09, 12:23 AM
nice vids...

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 09:32 AM
Thanks! biggest mod this time at the track was the use of 2 hands on the wheel

jerrycecco
03-01-09, 09:35 AM
Kenneht, Great videos, I need to see your video mounting setup.
I made it home ok, I stopped @ Discount Tire on 35 and they swapped out two temp tires so I could drive home
I should have two new Mich PS2 next week.

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 09:40 AM
Are they covering it under the road hazard? Did you get any pic of the bubble? Glad you made it home alright

CIWS
03-01-09, 09:46 AM
The videos look great Ken. :thumbsup:

We just need to work on getting your exhaust note in stereo :D

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 10:25 AM
We just need to work on getting your exhaust note in stereo :D

I know! I bought a new mic (pc style) the night before which for whatever reason produced no sound at all, so back to my first mic. Why would a mic produce sound only on one side? Just a cheap mic?

Mic i used: Amazon.com: Sony ECM-F8 Electret Condenser Microphone with Flat, Boundary Effect Design: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Electret-Condenser-Microphone-Boundary/dp/B000095SBW)

Mic i bought that didnt work: Amazon.com: Labtec VERSE 333 MON MOUNT MIC ( 980184-0403 ): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-VERSE-333-MOUNT-980184-0403/dp/B00008XOMX/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1)

CIWS
03-01-09, 11:09 AM
Most mic / inputs are mono. You would need to duplicate the track in software more than likely. :)

Bueller
03-01-09, 12:35 PM
Holy fast civics. What do they have 500HP?

Nice vids.

AAIIIC
03-01-09, 01:39 PM
biggest mod this time at the track was the use of 2 hands on the wheel
Now put them a little lower on the wheel, so there's actually a point to them both being there, and you'll really be lookin' good! :p Seriously, I've never seen anyone with both hands on the wheel so close together, and I'm surprised your instructor didn't have you move them a bit lower. You're up around 11 and 1, rather than 10 and 2 or 9 and 3. The point of putting the hands lower on the wheel is that it gives you more leverage for quicker steering inputs, which comes in handy when things like your bobble at 0:50 happen (and you don't have stability control to catch it).

In the first video it sounds like you were accelerating in 3rd, then I guess putting the clutch in, then coasting a bit while braking, then letting the clutch back out before corner entry? For instance, at the start of the video you're accelerating from 0:11 to 0:17, then the RPMs die down to idle, then at 0:22 you let the clutch back out. Same thing from 0:30-0:34, then RPMs drop, then clutch back out at 0:38, etc etc. Am I just misinterpreting what you were doing based on what I'm hearing? If you were doing what I think you were doing, don't do that. Again, I'm surprised your instructor didn't correct that. You pretty much always want to be in gear, even when braking. If something unexpected happens, you need to be able to respond immediately, and the correct response (even in a braking zone) may be to get on the gas. If you had to get on the gas, you would have to let the clutch back out, which would further unsettle the car since you don't know how to rev match or heel-toe, and you'd just be compounding the problem. If it's not worth it to shift up into 4th, then just hold maintaining throttle in 3rd. If you're braking, don't touch the clutch unless you're downshifting.

Last but not least, the point of blipping the throttle when rev matching is to let the clutch out when the RPMs are still high. If you blip the throttle, then the RPMs die back down to idle, then you let the clutch out (which is what it sounds like you were doing), then the only thing that throttle blip did for you was make the car sound cool.

With all that said, your driving was very smooth and clean, which is good. Pretty much no wasted inputs, and it sounds like your throttle inputs were good (some people think the gas is an on-off switch, but it was clear from the exhaust note as you were cornering that you were feathering the throttle as necessary).

tweeter81
03-01-09, 01:43 PM
Very cool track videos. Thanks for sharing with the V brothers. This makes me want to go and schedule a track day for early summer now.

liqidvenom
03-01-09, 02:08 PM
very nice video, love the sound your car makes

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 04:26 PM
Now put them a little lower on the wheel, so there's actually a point to them both being there, and you'll really be lookin' good! :p Seriously, I've never seen anyone with both hands on the wheel so close together, and I'm surprised your instructor didn't have you move them a bit lower. You're up around 11 and 1, rather than 10 and 2 or 9 and 3. The point of putting the hands lower on the wheel is that it gives you more leverage for quicker steering inputs, which comes in handy when things like your bobble at 0:50 happen (and you don't have stability control to catch it).

In the first video it sounds like you were accelerating in 3rd, then I guess putting the clutch in, then coasting a bit while braking, then letting the clutch back out before corner entry? For instance, at the start of the video you're accelerating from 0:11 to 0:17, then the RPMs die down to idle, then at 0:22 you let the clutch back out. Same thing from 0:30-0:34, then RPMs drop, then clutch back out at 0:38, etc etc. Am I just misinterpreting what you were doing based on what I'm hearing? If you were doing what I think you were doing, don't do that. Again, I'm surprised your instructor didn't correct that. You pretty much always want to be in gear, even when braking. If something unexpected happens, you need to be able to respond immediately, and the correct response (even in a braking zone) may be to get on the gas. If you had to get on the gas, you would have to let the clutch back out, which would further unsettle the car since you don't know how to rev match or heel-toe, and you'd just be compounding the problem. If it's not worth it to shift up into 4th, then just hold maintaining throttle in 3rd. If you're braking, don't touch the clutch unless you're downshifting.

Last but not least, the point of blipping the throttle when rev matching is to let the clutch out when the RPMs are still high. If you blip the throttle, then the RPMs die back down to idle, then you let the clutch out (which is what it sounds like you were doing), then the only thing that throttle blip did for you was make the car sound cool.

With all that said, your driving was very smooth and clean, which is good. Pretty much no wasted inputs, and it sounds like your throttle inputs were good (some people think the gas is an on-off switch, but it was clear from the exhaust note as you were cornering that you were feathering the throttle as necessary).

Thanks for the advice! Yea i know i had my hands close together, main reason was that i swear this is pretty much the first time ever to use two hands and it felt weird! Especially when i went to shift and took the right hand off the wheel, i didnt like having my left hand so far off center from the wheel. I'll work on it and try using 2 hands even during daily driving to adjust, but yea i agree they were almost touching at a few points!

As far as the clutch, i was totally doing what you were saying. I was kinda thinking go to 4th, or just coast? I was even going to ask the instructor about it. Maybe he couldnt tell i was doing it? The exhaust note is much more pronounced in the video with the mic out back than it was in the car with the windows down and our helmets on. I guess im just that good he couldnt tell ;) hahaha Who am i kidding, people in the building on the other side of the track could hear my car, not sure why he didnt say anything. But yea i see the point. If i didnt perfectly rev match and let the clutch out mid corner, the rears could lock up or break loose throwing me into a spin.

Regarding the throttle blip.. when coming to the turns with the clutch in i was thinking i'll hit the brakes, blip, then release the clutch. However due to my non heal/toe skills when i released the brake to hit the throttle, for some reason i wasnt slowing down enough :thepan:, so then i decided i was still going too fast to release the clutch yet. Again just indecisiveness on my part. I also couldnt really gauge how far away the turns were very accurately so i sometimes blipped and then decided i needed to wait a few more seconds. When going 90mph on a 40' wide track with nothing but open field around it was kinda hard for me to realize how fast i was really going until it came time to crank the wheel! Although sounding cool was also pretty fun ;)

The instructor was quite adamant about being smooth on the throttle. The uuc flywheel makes the throttle pretty responsive, but i was definitely trying to keep that in mind the whole day.

Still plenty to work on, but thanks again for the advice. :highfive:

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 04:41 PM
Ya know after watching the vid again, another reason i think i had the clutch in was the rpms. Last time i tracked, i had a maggie and beat on the car hard all day. V didnt come home until the next day and it was on a trailer. I was scared of these high rpm downshifts. 7k in 3rd gear but i ended up doing it anyway so i guess i wasnt saving much. I guess in my mind 7k is worse coming down than going up which is prob not true. I was trying to let the engine come down and use the brakes to slow me more than the engine. But now that she made it home alright i may not be so worried next time. I'll prob use 4th earlier on the straights too, to keep the rpms down.

thebigjimsho
03-01-09, 05:31 PM
Thanks! biggest mod this time at the track was the use of 2 hands on the wheel
I wasn't going to say it.... :D

rand49er
03-01-09, 10:14 PM
LOVE to watch these vids! :thumbsup:

BUT, I find myself getting all tense in my gut and giving a little body English when you're in the turns. After 9-10 minutes of it, I'm nearly wiped out! Whew!

thebigjimsho
03-01-09, 10:16 PM
LOVE to watch these vids! :thumbsup:

BUT, I find myself getting all tense in my gut and giving a little body English when you're in the turns. After 9-10 minutes of it, I'm nearly wiped out! Whew!
sucks being your age and married...

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 10:49 PM
lol i cant count the # of times i've watched them, cant wait to do it again!

ccextra1976
03-01-09, 10:54 PM
Kmajecki

very nice, you are getting me fired up for Vday

My cousin works a couple days a month at the ranch, he own's a detail company called the beauty shop.

Kmajecki
03-01-09, 11:05 PM
That's cool, Motorsport Ranch always has some bad ass cars out there. I wish Eagle's Canyon had the FM transmitter like the ranch does. Im sure in time it'll get bigger. Saturday was fun, but i can only imagine what it would have been like with 6 + V's there. I'm really considering going to V Day!

ccextra1976
03-01-09, 11:11 PM
That's cool, Motorsport Ranch always has some bad ass cars out there. I wish Eagle's Canyon had the FM transmitter like the ranch does. Im sure in time it'll get bigger. Saturday was fun, but i can only imagine what it would have been like with 6 + V's there. I'm really considering going to V Day!

Vday will be my first in a car, he works on all the bad a$$ cars out there..he said it takes him like 5 minutes to figure out how to start some of them :want:

KaMaSuTrA
03-02-09, 12:39 AM
Very nice videos! Keep them coming!

rand49er
03-02-09, 08:53 AM
sucks being your age and married...Was married when I was your age, and THAT one sucked.

whisler151
03-02-09, 10:57 AM
...I'm really considering going to V Day!

Hmmmm....

AAIIIC
03-02-09, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice! Yea i know i had my hands close together, main reason was that i swear this is pretty much the first time ever to use two hands and it felt weird! Especially when i went to shift and took the right hand off the wheel, i didnt like having my left hand so far off center from the wheel. I'll work on it and try using 2 hands even during daily driving to adjust, but yea i agree they were almost touching at a few points!
Street driving is definitely a good way to practice, just to get your hands accustomed to it. I can pretty comfortably go back and forth between one or two hands. I, too, normally drive with just one hand, but if the weather's bad, for instance, I'll shift to two hands just for a little more control of things. On the track or auto-x I'm always two hands.

Of course, even with two hands on the wheel you'll find differences of opinion about how to position and move your hands. Race drivers typically stay 9 and 3 all the time, because most turns on a road course are gradual enough that you never have to go beyond 180deg of steering input (so you can cross your arms and still keep both hands on the wheel). That also means that you always know exactly what the position of the steering wheel is. A lot of auto-xers "shuffle steer", because many of the corners are so tight that you have to use more than 180deg of steering input. Nobody ever taught me one way or the other, but I just naturally am a shuffle steerer - I'm more comfortable sliding the wheel through my hands, keeping my hands roughly at 9 and 3 regardless of the position of the wheel. You can see in this video (in my Subaru at Shenandoah Circuit in WV) (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/Shenandoah%20Oct07/In-car%20clip.wmv) that I'm moving my hands on the wheel a lot. I've never really had any instructors have a problem with that in 40+ track days, but in my first track day here in the PacNW last fall the instructor said he wasn't going to let me do that. I was back at that track this past Saturday in the V, and for the most part I stay 9 and 3 (with the exception of one tight, slow corner) - I'll try to get some different video posted later to show the contrast.

As far as the clutch, i was totally doing what you were saying. I was kinda thinking go to 4th, or just coast?
Personally, I would go to 4th, unless it was going to be for such a short period of time that it didn't seem worth it. Looking at the second clip you posted, it appears that as the day went on and you got more comfortable and faster, you were shifting to 4th in spots you had not been doing so in the first video.

Regarding the throttle blip.. when coming to the turns with the clutch in i was thinking i'll hit the brakes, blip, then release the clutch. However due to my non heal/toe skills when i released the brake to hit the throttle, for some reason i wasnt slowing down enough :thepan:, so then i decided i was still going too fast to release the clutch yet.
Heel/toe is another thing I learned to do on the street, and I do it all the time now. I'm not really a heel/toe guy - I keep my foot positioned normally and bridge the gap between the gas and brake. So I brake with the big ball of my right foot, and roll my ankle to blip the throttle. Works great for me. Getting the Autovation pedals helped, since the gas pedal is widened towards the brake pedal. On my other two cars I've actually bent the gas pedal arm so the gas is closer to the the brake pedal - on most cars that's pretty easy to do.

Although sounding cool was also pretty fun ;)
Hells yeah! :p

Ya know after watching the vid again, another reason i think i had the clutch in was the rpms. Last time i tracked, i had a maggie and beat on the car hard all day. V didnt come home until the next day and it was on a trailer. I was scared of these high rpm downshifts. 7k in 3rd gear but i ended up doing it anyway so i guess i wasnt saving much. I guess in my mind 7k is worse coming down than going up which is prob not true. I was trying to let the engine come down and use the brakes to slow me more than the engine. But now that she made it home alright i may not be so worried next time. I'll prob use 4th earlier on the straights too, to keep the rpms down.
That last point is definitely something worth thinking about. These cars are such torque monsters that there's really no reason to worry about winding it out.

Still plenty to work on, but thanks again for the advice. :highfive:
My pleasure.

Kmajecki
03-02-09, 12:03 PM
Hmmmm....

I havent checked the sticky thread in a while, but there were 2 guys coming from Arizona and i think 1 from Oklahoma, if they all took I-40 Dallas attendees could meet up with them on I-40 in Little Rock. About 700miles from there to Summit with 5+ V's together could go by pretty quickly! :lildevil:

rangerrob
03-02-09, 01:56 PM
dude, the trip to summit was totally worth it! vday 1 rocked and was worth all 13hrs one way driving from chicago... but i'm not gonna lie, the 13 hrs ride home sucked...

CTS2NV
03-02-09, 02:04 PM
I wanted to go but had other things planned already, But great video !

v-sam
03-02-09, 02:59 PM
Nice vids. Looks like you were doing pretty good to me. The biggest mod you can make is more seat time in the car at the track. Welcome to the endless money pit hobby.

Kmajecki
03-02-09, 04:47 PM
Yea man i can see it getting pricey. Looks like i just 5 months of driving on my week old tires... Free tires and brake pads and i'd be out there weekly!

thebigjimsho
03-02-09, 10:59 PM
needz to get back out there...