: Potential buyer questions..

dmount
02-28-09, 09:59 PM
I have been looking for a relacemt for my current vehicle, and sorta fell in love with the SRX. I'm a Regional Manager in the Southeast, and tend to spend a lot of windshield time, 1300 miles this week, 850 last week, 1200 the week before. The preowned units I have settled on are 2004-2006 models, 2-wheel drive (if I need AWD there has been a horrible mistake!) v-6, unless the folks on this brain trust tell me I need a Northstar.
The units I've looked at have 40,000 + /- on them which doesn't really concern me, but every ine I have seen, and there have been several, have the computer history cleared, and have no mikeage history available. This leads me to believe these cars get horrible mileage and it's one of the free worlds best kept secrets. (I have a deep seated distrust of most Auto Dealers)
Can any of you good folks tell me what sort of mileage I can expect? 75% - 80% of my driving is cruising Interstates at 75mph (+/-). My other concern is reliablity and long life; my current vehicle, an Excursion, has run over 250,000 with almost no additional service other than normal maintenence, but the 12.6 mpg is a little stiff when gas was $4.00.

Are there any foiblees or problems I should expect? Added unexpected maintenence, or wear items? I plan on running this to at least 200,000, but not if I can't keep it on the road, or it nickels and dimes me to death.
I love the looks, ride and handling and I'm sorta hoping y'all dont have any major complaints to disuade me.
Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide.

c5 rv
02-28-09, 10:50 PM
I have an 06 RWD V6 that I drive 80% highway. The DIC currently reads 20.9 MPG average. It goes up about 1 MPG in the summer due to the different gas blend.

As for 200K, I'd do some reading here about timing chain problems. I've have few major problems (39K miles so far), but plenty of smaller ones.

If I was in your shoes and wanted a SRX, I'd definitely go for an 06 CPO unit to get the narrower door sills, power liftgate, and 100K warranty. Avoid the 3rd row seat unless you have little kids that can belt themselves in who want to ride back there. The rear storage unit is really handy, unless you plan on hauling a lot of heaving things. I don't know if the cargo doors will take that. I think the V6 has enough power for RWD, but I prefer the V8 for AWD.

A Cadillac dealer should be able to provide you with the warranty service history on any unit, especially if they are trying to sell you a CPO unit. Good luck.

Northern SRX
03-01-09, 09:22 AM
I have an 06 RWD V6 that I drive 80% highway. The DIC currently reads 20.9 MPG average. It goes up about 1 MPG in the summer due to the different gas blend.

As for 200K, I'd do some reading here about timing chain problems. I've have few major problems (39K miles so far), but plenty of smaller ones.

If I was in your shoes and wanted a SRX, I'd definitely go for an 06 CPO unit to get the narrower door sills, power liftgate, and 100K warranty. Avoid the 3rd row seat unless you have little kids that can belt themselves in who want to ride back there. The rear storage unit is really handy, unless you plan on hauling a lot of heaving things. I don't know if the cargo doors will take that. I think the V6 has enough power for RWD, but I prefer the V8 for AWD.

A Cadillac dealer should be able to provide you with the warranty service history on any unit, especially if they are trying to sell you a CPO unit. Good luck.

:yeah:

I can't top this advice except to say that the '07s get a more refined dash and door set-up - but you'll pay accordingly.

I have zero experience with the RWD units but can tell you that mpg figures for the V8 and V6 do not differ that much on AWD units (we've owned both and would peg the difference ~10-15%) but there is a different difference in noise levels and passing power. That being said, both are fine.

z32drifter
03-01-09, 02:52 PM
My 05 V6 RWD averages around 20mpg on the road, depends on how hard I push it. My wife drives it in town most of the time and she gets 16-17mpg. On our last trip it ranged between 18 and 22mpg. The 22mpg leg was after I screwed up and filled up with 93 on my way out of NC, roads were mixed divided 4 lanes in the mountains and interstate... I averaged 68mph on that leg. I would also suggest a CPO just for extra comfort. My SRX has 45k on it they just replaced the converters a few weeks ago (I'm still in the factory warranty until 8/09, CPO carries untill 8/11 or 100,000 miles). I'm happy with our SRX so far, 2yrs and 25k. We've replaced the converters, a fog light bulb, front tires, and a few trim items.

manitoumike
03-01-09, 07:38 PM
We've had our 'o8 SRX since April '08 and love it!. Granted, there is not an awful of room in the rear, but there are only two of us(snowbirds). Most of our driving is on the highway. The mileage is 20.5 to 21 MPG.
The vehicle has only had a few small faults which the dealer here in Daytona very promptly fixed. They treat us like royalty, even though the vehicle was purchased in Canada.
Would we buy another one ?? You bet ! Great ride, lotsa comfort. a real "eye turner".
As for dealers, If you do your homework and are prepared then you have nothing to fear.
manitoumike:cool2:

dmount
03-03-09, 12:01 AM
Thanks for your quick and informative responses; I guess all I need to do now is convince myself that I can keep one running on a daily basis. I think I got spoiled with my Excursion, in 250,000 miles all I've done is replace the ignition coils (7 of the 8 in a coil-on-plug array), one headlamp, and change the oil and filters every 5,000. I did put a set of Michlins on it, but they have 140,000 on them and still have safe tread left.

One other question: What is a CPO?

I remember the COPOs from Chevrolet in teh '60s but doubt if we're talking about the same thing here!

Thanks again for all of the great input.

c5 rv
03-03-09, 08:36 AM
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned, the 6 yr, 100K certified warranty program offered by Cadillac dealers.

TSS
03-03-09, 09:28 AM
I did put a set of Michlins on it, but they have 140,000 on them and still have safe tread left.

:suspect: