: PO 441 error

iamstr8fire
07-04-04, 11:03 PM
97 deville d'elegance po 441 error. Where can I find out more about this?

anggarci
07-05-04, 12:25 AM
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow, also this web site shows many other codes as well. http://www.carsoftwares.com/obd2GM.htm

iamstr8fire
07-05-04, 07:25 AM
What does that code mean?

mcowden
07-05-04, 12:23 PM
The code means that either the gas cap is bad or loose, the purge control valve is not working right (rusty solenoids usually to blame for that one), there's a hole in the evaporative canister, a vacuum leak in the evap. system somewhere, a hole or leak in the gas tank or filler neck, or something else in the evaporative emissions vacuum, gas, or electrical systems. Is the "Service Engine Soon" light on? Does the code say it's CURRENT or HISTORY? Some ideas of things to check:

1. Is the gas cap on tight? Has the cap been damaged? Do you know it's working right?

2. No holes in evaporative canister, gas tank, or filler neck? Was the car in an accident or anything else that could have damaged it? (it's usually in the rear of the car next to the gas tank if I remember right)

3. Are there any vacuum leaks in hoses connecting to the purge control valve or canister? Are all of the vapor hoses in good shape and connected?

4. Do the purge control valve solenoid(s) look like they're in good shape? Have they been electrically tested for functionality? Is the pressure sensor known to be good?

5. Is all the wiring intact to the gas tank, the pressure sensor, and the purge control valve?

You can find more information in the factory service manual or a subscription to Alldata will probably have the diagnostic charts for it. You can order the service manual at www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) and the online, printable Alldata information is at www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com). There are some very knowledgeable people here as well that are usually willing to lend a hand. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have tools that you aren't afraid to get dirty, someone here can probably help you through it without going to a shop.

Let us know... Good luck!

Michael Cowden

iamstr8fire
07-05-04, 02:00 PM
Thank you for the response. I have to put the car on the road today and I will check those things when I come back. On thursday of last week I got this code when I was low on gas. I put about 10 gallons in there and ithe message went away. It is the "Service Engine Soon" message that keeps popping up. It is a CURRENT code also. Does that snippet about thursday give you any more information about what my problem is? As far as the gas cap goes, I passed emissions last tuesday and the gas cap portion of the test ran fine.

EDIT: I just got ride of a PO 300 messageabout 2 weeks ago if that helps anything.

mcowden
07-05-04, 04:11 PM
Well, being low on gas shouldn't cause that code to come up. If you still see the P0441 CURRENT code, there's still something wrong with the evap. system and the items mentioned above should be checked out. It's possible that the SES light/message will go away after a few more driving cycles. When some codes go from CURRENT to HISTORY, it takes 3 or more drive cycles (up to 50 in a few cases) without the same problem condition to make the light go out. The P0300 code means "Engine Misfire Detected," and is completely unrelated to the P0441. So here's what I would do:

If the P0441 is still CURRENT, inspect the above mentioned items and repair as necessary (preferably with OEM parts if parts are needed) or take it to a reputable shop and request OEM parts. Yep, the OEM parts will cost a little more, but you know they've been tested and proven with the rest of the system. I believe this is the most likely scenario.

If the P0441 shows up as HISTORY, try clearing it and see if it comes back. If the SES light doesn't go away after you've cleared it, look for other codes showing up as CURRENT. It's possible an evap. system component could have an intermittent problem, so I would expect it to come back, but at least you will know what's causing the SES light to come on.

Either way, if you still have a problem after these steps, make note of all the codes in the system and post them here. Chances are, someone will be able to help if these things don't fix it.

You're getting there...

Michael Cowden

iamstr8fire
07-05-04, 09:28 PM
what does OEM mean?

iamstr8fire
07-05-04, 09:36 PM
Also any help in where to look to inspect items 2,3,4,5 would be helpful. I will look into it tomorrow after work. Hopefully I can fix it at minimal cost :dance:

BeelzeBob
07-05-04, 10:31 PM
what does OEM mean?

Original Equipment Manufacturer

iamstr8fire
07-07-04, 10:35 AM
I am going to run it through a few shops and see what the price for fixing it looks like before I go any further

BeelzeBob
07-08-04, 12:05 AM
Did you double check the gas cap and the seal on the cap at the tank filler neck?? Usually an evap system code means that there is a leak in the system and most often it is the cap.....

familycruiser
07-08-04, 08:44 AM
Another thing to check is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I had the same code and it turned out to be the FP regulator. One easy check is to start the car and pull off the vaccum line to the FP reg, then open the throttle. If fuel spits out the regulator is bad. NAPA sells them for about $50 and it takes about 5 minutes to replace.

iamstr8fire
07-08-04, 04:37 PM
I checked the gas cap it was ok. I dont know anything about where to look for the fuel pressure regulator :suspect: . I'm going to the shop today after work :madtalkin

ddesens
02-11-05, 10:42 PM
what was the verdict? I have the same problem with my 97 deville