: HELP! Car locked with key inside & Battery is dead

hindkwt
02-28-09, 07:36 AM
hi everyone,

i have locked the car with key inside the car and the battery is now dead , is there a way i can open the door or the hood to jump start the car from outside, please help me

Force-1
02-28-09, 10:36 AM
If you don't have a spare key I imagine you'll have to call roadside assistance, or a locksmith?

BarryNS
02-28-09, 10:59 AM
I believe that if you go to the Cadillac dealer with the appropriate papers they can use your VIN to access the appropriate information to remake a key to get into the car.

However, if you have the second fob, you can separate the two parts to access a door key that will allow you in even though the battery of the car is dead.

Of course, if On-star is not activated, you can call them on a land line, activate the system for whatever the minimum time they would allow, and then have them open the door for you via satelite.

tomm
03-02-09, 08:43 AM
What was the outcome? If you has a spare key the key would open the door with no power and no FOB. If you did not I would guess you would need a locksmith or get a key from GM. I had a similiar problem with another car a while ago and the locksmith costs almost $180.

PAO
03-02-09, 08:55 AM
I believe that if you go to the Cadillac dealer with the appropriate papers they can use your VIN to access the appropriate information to remake a key to get into the car.

However, if you have the second fob, you can separate the two parts to access a door key that will allow you in even though the battery of the car is dead.

Of course, if On-star is not activated, you can call them on a land line, activate the system for whatever the minimum time they would allow, and then have them open the door for you via satelite.

remember if the battery is dead, OnStar is useless.....the battery is need to conduct any functions to include the remote door unlock....this is the one flaw in the OnStar system......any accident that disables the battery and the crash notification to OnStar doesnt happen

DBeaSST
03-02-09, 01:22 PM
I thought OnStar had it's own battery for such emergencies?

c5 rv
03-02-09, 01:54 PM
You wouldn't happen to live in France and also own a SRX, would you?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/162913-cadillac-srx-starting-problem-liftgate-problem.html

(sorry, couldn't resist) Good luck solving your problem.

dkozloski
03-02-09, 02:50 PM
Around here you call a local cab company and they'll have you in your car in 5 minutes for $20. They have some wedges and fishing tools that work every time.

BarryNS
03-02-09, 04:00 PM
[quote=PAO;1792647
remember if the battery is dead, OnStar is useless.....[/quote]

Oh yes, you are so right. It reminds me of a previous entry I made here 3 or 4 years ago which will indicate a SECOND FLAW in the system, if I may.

I got in the car, started the engine and backed out of the garage. At that point I left the motor running and got out of the car to put the garbage can away. I then stopped by my mailbox and bot my mail and then drove to Home Depot 20 miles away. When I tried to turn off the engine It blinked red a few times, but I didn't pay attention and I pushed the button again and turned of the engine, closed the doors and went into the store. When I got back to the car I couldn't get in because I didn't have my keys, which I had obviously lost at home when i got out of the car. I also couldn't rent a truck at home depot to get home because my insurance papers were locked inside the car. it turned out that I had left my keys in the mailbox. Imagine if you lost your keys after starting the engine and then drove 200 miles before stopping to get gas and then finding out you have no key to get in the car or start the engine.

In summary ONCE YOU START THE MOTOR, YOU DON'T NEED THE KEY FOB IN THE CAR TO DRIVE IT. Not a good thing if you are several hundred miles away before you discover you have no key fob. The car tries to warn you when you turn off the engine, but who pays attention.?

Depite Cadillacs effort to make you want On-Star by not providing a wallet key, it would make some sense to me to have a flat wallet key made for such emergencies. The 2005 cadillac STS uses the same blank as the SRX.

z06bigbird
03-03-09, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=PAO;1792647][QUOTE=BarryNS;1790751]

What do you mean in this last para??? Thanks.

bigdog9586
03-03-09, 11:18 AM
How can they open a door if the battery is dead? Last I knew it takes juice to run the lock.
===============

I

corvette00
03-03-09, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the post, I just took the key out of my glove box and will leave it at home (unless I travel).

dkozloski
03-03-09, 04:49 PM
Ask one of the guys that hang around the liquor store to help you out. They can be in your car and driving down the street in less than 30 seconds.

ahuyghe
03-04-09, 04:22 PM
Well, Been there, done that on my 07 STS4. You can not get in. Had to call roadside assistance and the driver that showed up explained that no car has ever taken him more than 5 minutes to get in to. Well, he worked on it for over an hour, had to go in through the rear door and in the process the upper rear part of the door ended up being slightly bent out of shape due to spreading the door open enough to get in a lock grabbing device to pull open the door lock. Man was that guy sweating! GM replaced the battery and fixed the door, and i now have a spare key safely locked up in the garage.

Good luck with that!

Al

BarryNS
03-06-09, 02:14 PM
[quote=PAO;1792647][quote=BarryNS;1790751]

What do you mean in this last para??? Thanks.

I don't have the second key fob in the car or near the car as it confuses the car as to whether 1 or 2 is being used sets the wrong options. Also it defeats many of the security features that alert when keys are left in the car.

To answer you question, Cadillac used to provide wallet keys for every car but in 2005 when they first installed on-star in every car, the stopped giving out the keys. I would assume that they were trying to make it appear that On-Star is more useful then it needs to be for several hundred a year. So I went to the dealer and we figured out that the TRX had the same key blank as the 2005 STS and I had Cadillac make me a flat wallet key....which I have to say I used several times.

BTW, a 3rd fault is the fact that if you are in a high area of radio wave frequencies such as near the radio towers, the key fob frequently won't work or will be blocked. This happened to me on a 105 degree day at the top of South Mountain in Phoenix. If it weren't for the flat key in the key fob, I never would have been able to get in the car and without placing the fob in its programming holder in the glove box I wouln't have been able to start the motor.

Jesda
03-10-09, 08:29 AM
I thought OnStar had it's own battery for such emergencies?

Dont know about STS, but when I was stuck in a ditch the Escalade's battery died and ended my call to On*. Ended up walking through the mud to a fitness center and borrowed their phone.

DBeaSST
03-10-09, 10:18 AM
Dont know about STS, but when I was stuck in a ditch the Escalade's battery died and ended my call to On*. Ended up walking through the mud to a fitness center and borrowed their phone.

Good information to know! This thread has been quite informative.

WillySTS
03-10-09, 12:58 PM
[quote=z06bigbird;1793805][quote=PAO;1792647]

If it weren't for the flat key in the key fob, I never would have been able to get in the car and without placing the fob in its programming holder in the glove box I wouln't have been able to start the motor.

Your car isn't a 2005 where there is no key in the key fob, that key is separate up to 2007. It is up to you to keep them separate just for such situations.

corvette00
03-10-09, 10:47 PM
I have an 07 and it came with two keys. The fob does not appear large enough to have a flat key inside

BarryNS
03-11-09, 11:04 AM
[quote=WillySTS;1802055
Your car isn't a 2005 where there is no key in the key fob, that key is separate up to 2007. It is up to you to keep them separate just for such situations.[/quote]

Your right. I was a little confused as I now have a 2008 STS with the flat key. But you reminded me that the extra key that came with the keyfob was not a flat key but had thick back end on it, making it useless to put in a wallet. So, I still had to have a flat key made. Putting that supplied key on the keyring with the FOB could possibly have been useless if you locked your keyring in the car.

corvette00
03-11-09, 07:20 PM
Is the SRX flat key the correct one to have cut for an 07?

BarryNS
03-12-09, 10:23 AM
Is the SRX flat key the correct one to have cut for an 07?
I think it was the XLR for the 2005. Not sure about the 2007. I wonder if a keymaker could copy the flat key in the fob and make a regular flat door key from it. You could try keys from cars in stock and see which fit into the keyslot.

corvette00
03-12-09, 10:32 AM
I guess I am confused, does the 07 fob have a flat key inside?

EChas3
03-12-09, 12:28 PM

Some 2007's have the older Fob's. My wife's was an early 2007 and hers is identical to those for my 2006.

BarryNS
03-13-09, 05:28 PM

Now I'm confused. Either there is a flat key inside the fob or you were given a separate door key. Either could be used to have a flat wallet key made. Again, the problem with the extra door key is that it was too thick for a wallet.