: '99 STS stuck water water pump

SCSTS
02-27-09, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, sorry to bother you AGAIN !

1999 Seville STS

I was having my water pump replaced but the mechanic says it is stuck and he can't get it out. He had 2 other mechanics bring their tools and try also. Any ideas ?

He is asking about replacing the "water pump housing". Any ideas about this? Is this what its called ? Is it diffucult ?

THANKS in advance for your help.

70torino429
02-27-09, 08:57 PM
is this a cadillac mechanic? most mechanics might not now that there is a special socket used to remove the water pumps on these cars. you take the cover off then put the socket on and turn it out. he might just be trying to pull and thinking its stuck. id say ask him if hes using the northstar cadillac water pump special socket, its a bit of a pain the first time you do one but you figure it out. i changed my water pump in about a half hour in the autozone parking lot, and no it isnt fun

ETC Dude
02-27-09, 09:14 PM
I bought the special socket to remove it. My was stuck too. It hit the tabs with pb blaster and cleaned and scraped around the tabs. There was lot of sealer build up. I had to use a 3ft braker bar then it moved. The crossover survied. Before unstalling clean the sealeant from the o ring groove really well. It look longer to clean the groove than to change the pump. No leaks... I forget which way to turn it for removal. Check posts or the fsm.

Ranger
02-27-09, 09:41 PM
Usually a few bursts from an impact will break it loose. Clockwise loosens it and counter clockwise to lock it back in place. He does understand that the pump is cam locked, not threaded I assume? It only takes about 1/8 turn or less to loosen it. The housing you are talking about is called the crossover manifold and it is a big job to replace it.

Submariner409
02-27-09, 10:14 PM
The key is "clockwise to remove, counterclockwise to install".

If the capsule is that hard to turn, have an able assistant hold the special socket in against the pump tangs or use the GM recommended retainer strap over the socket.

Ranger has an excellent example of a heavy duty pump socket tool.

[NortHStaR]
03-05-09, 07:28 PM
Just to answer your second question, he cant just replace the housing he has to replace the whole coolant crossover which is a major PITA!!!!