: Onstar upgrade for 2002 Escalade possible?

pcguy760
02-27-09, 02:53 PM
Hi, I was wondering if the digital Onstar upgrade is possible for the 03 - anyone did it or knows?

Submariner409
02-27-09, 05:05 PM
The upgrade was done to my 2002 STS. Take a look at www.onstar.com and get to support. Your model may be in there, BUT the el-cheapo grace period is over, so you may pay a bit more for the change. Takes about 3 cups of coffee at a dealership AFTER you check in and they receive the conversion package for your car.

2002 or 2003 ?? You list both.............

KrazyKeith
02-27-09, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure it can be done to the 2002, but the 2003 and up can be converted. I wrote to onstar back when I got my lade in Dec of 08'

They told me to call for the complete information but I never got around to it.

I've been eyeballing this bluetooth kit that uses the non-functioning on-star system, I may go with that rather then having the on-star converted to digital. The only reason I wanted it was for break-in protection ( I have a viper 791xv anyways) and also for lock-out protection. I guess the other things like emergency assistance and stuff is cool too.

100% on the 03's and up, not sure at all for the 02....

pcguy760
02-28-09, 12:22 AM
Sorry I meant 2002 - anyone done this conversion on an 02?

pcguy760
02-28-09, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure it can be done to the 2002, but the 2003 and up can be converted. I wrote to onstar back when I got my lade in Dec of 08'

They told me to call for the complete information but I never got around to it.

I've been eyeballing this bluetooth kit that uses the non-functioning on-star system, I may go with that rather then having the on-star converted to digital. The only reason I wanted it was for break-in protection ( I have a viper 791xv anyways) and also for lock-out protection. I guess the other things like emergency assistance and stuff is cool too.

100% on the 03's and up, not sure at all for the 02....

Wow that would be cool - any link I can look at? Thanks.

KrazyKeith
02-28-09, 06:50 PM
Wow that would be cool - any link I can look at? Thanks.

Here ya go.

I found the link from the audio/video section here on the forums.

Eventually I think I might get it, I'd like on-star but I dont know how much the digital conversion will cost.

Link:

http://www.costartech.com

pcguy760
03-01-09, 02:40 AM
Wow I guess they make em for all the Escalades :) Kinda cool to have it linked to your bluetooth cellphone and use the Onstar buttons to make calls, etc. Plus with voice dial enabled cellphones this would be even better - nice! Thanks for the link Keith!

hueterm
03-01-09, 12:54 PM
2002 Onstar cannot be upgraded, nor can any analog Onstar system.

pcguy760
03-03-09, 10:45 AM
Ok, we have kind ventured off into a different direction lol - using the old onstar buttons to link with a bluetooth enabled / voice dial enabled cellphone to make calls etc. - seems like that site Keith showed has the device to make it possible even on the 02. I think it would be kinda cool to just use the buttons to activate voice dialing on the cellphone and just say who you want to call...