: Did I miss something?

jdavis
02-27-09, 02:46 PM
While at a dealer getting my $90.00 oil change, I was told by the service writer that at 16k miles, I should get a tire rotation and alignment at a cost of $230 which I thought was rather steep and declined. He told me that the 30k mile scheduled service would be the most costly. Upon getting home, I checked the manual and did not see anything about a 30k mile service in the maintenance schedule. I did see a 25k service that appeared to be minor items. Is this guy trying to stick it to me or did I miss something in the manual?

GMJim
02-27-09, 04:28 PM
JD, 60K on my tires, never rotated or had an alignment. Sounds like they are kinda
slow in the service department. Air filter at 25K & 50K. That's about it.

smokiejoe
02-27-09, 05:43 PM
Tell them the Economy is bad, and I can't afford that stuff.

Tire rotation on the SRX is side to side which really doesn't do anything, in my opinion. Just like Jim says probably don't need an alignment if tires are wearing evenly.

jdavis
02-27-09, 07:46 PM
I suspect that many service departments are going to be suggesting all sorts of procedures to customers because the dealerships aren't able to make it with sales in this slow market.
Smokiejoe, I have the 20's which are all the same size so, I could rotate them although they are wearing evenly at this time.
It goes against my grain to pay for a bunch of unesscessary things. I can only imagine how many folks never question and approve anything the service writer suggests. These service writers have got to be on commission.

c5 rv
02-27-09, 08:54 PM
It's funny that not only are the dealer maintenance lists much larger than those in the owners manual, the mileage points are different, too.

Superjim
02-27-09, 09:14 PM
It's funny that not only are the dealer maintenance lists much larger than those in the owners manual, the mileage points are different, too.

I have been known to ask them to show me in the maint schedule in my CADILLAC OWNERS MANUAL..where it recommends that I do "WHATEVER" it is that he is suggesting.

They then leave me alone.

Texas Jim