: Different parts for a Catera?

JoshinWV
02-27-09, 11:24 AM
Hello all,

I am the happy owner of a 99 Catera with 95K miles on it. I have already had the transmission and the intake gaskets replaced in it (under warranty). I am coming upon some issues now that I am wondering about. First off I have an odd coolant leak. If I do not run my heater, the coolant leaks out very fast, but if I run my heater, the coolant still leaks but at a much slower rate. I crawled under the car and I can see that the coolant is leaking from SOMEWHERE at the back top of the engine, but there is not enough room in there to identify where. I'm an old school Quad-4 mechanic, so DOHC engines are pretty familiar to me, but some of this crap is just a mystery.

Secondly, I know that there have been Cadillac parts in the past that have had the same part numbers as other GM cars (like Impala rotors, etc). Are there any of these type parts for this car? I admit having a Cadillac is nice, however I don't think it is right to pay a premium for the exact same part.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Josh

BackStreet
02-27-09, 02:17 PM
Sounds like the classic heater control valve leak. It is at the top/back of the engine.

Someone had a procedure to change it from the top. Did not seem too bad.