: Power steering fluid loss

Holmes815
02-27-09, 04:41 AM
So last night I'm cruisin around Manhattan looking for a parking space, after about 25 mins and still no spot I make a left onto 1rst ave and TOTALLY LOSE ALL POWER STEERING. Fortunately the car Gods had mercy on me and literally 15 seconds later I drove up to a spot; parralel paring with no power steering was a bitch but at least I got it parked!! So after coming back to my car and checking that there was no fluid leaking on the ground and that there was some in the reservoir although it was a little low, I drove to one of the handful of gas stations in the city and bought some PS fluid. At this point the PS pump was making noise but still showing no signs of leaking. As I dropped off my friend and re checked the fluid level, things were still descent; after making my first left off his street I heard a pop and pulled over to see a trail of fluid from where the noise happened to where I stopped. I put the rest of the fluid I bought and kept the car at low RPMs (drive was like 10 miles.)

Does anyone know what the hell could have happened??

Has this happened to anyone else??

Does anyone know a good dealer in North JErsey ( My dealer, Brogan Cadillac of Ridgewod closed a few months ago :(

Thanks in advance guys

James

rand49er
02-27-09, 08:25 AM
Haven't heard it described exactly like yours, but a few guys have had their PS pumps replaced. Don't know the precise details, however.

Slithering_Joe
02-27-09, 09:08 AM
Has this happened to anyone else??

Does anyone know a good dealer in North JErsey ( My dealer, Brogan Cadillac of Ridgewod closed a few months ago :(

Thanks in advance guys

James

At 25,000 miles, my lower hose started to leak but I caught it in time. Fixed under warranty.

Crown
1584 Route 22 East
Watchung, NJ
888-361-8506 | 908-561-2900

Brogan
112 Rt 46 East
Totowa, NJ
973-200-8620

Martin
374 Sylvan Ave. / Rt 9W
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, NJ 07632
(201) 399-4810

Holmes815
02-27-09, 12:11 PM
My guess was the pump too but I couldnt find a leak around the area at all.....

After I posted I was reading more and I might try Mahwah Caddy; Watchung is a little too far, Totowa is closer but still kind of a hike, and Martin Cadillac will not work on my car since I didnt buy it there; I also gave one of the writers a lesson on the V when they had me waiting there one of the 4 times I attempted to remedy my clutch issue before I decided to drive to DC and have Lindsay take care of it!!!! Thanks for the suggestions though.

James

50 4Ever
02-27-09, 02:42 PM
The sudden loss of power steering is very strange. I've never had issues with the V but have had problems with a Corvette. When the pump started making noise I had to add almost a full bottle of PS fluid, but I still had power steering. With fluid still in the reservoir and suddenly losing PS sounds to me like either your PS pump broke (stopped pumping) or a major blockage somewhere not letting the fluid under pressure to get to the rack.

Keep us posted.