: Bleed the clutch?

VforMe
02-26-09, 07:54 PM
So I went by the dealership today on my way home and got the oil changed. When I got home I checked the oil level to make sure I hadn't gotten shorted like I've read some others have. I noticed that the clutch fluid is bone dry!! When I went to put some more fluid in it a little black fluid floated up form below. Should I just go ahead and bleed the clutch and get it over with? Is there any chance there's not air in it now? Also does anyone have a picture of where the bleeder valve is for the clutch? I looked on the faq but I couldn't find any pictures.

Thanks

Scott

rand49er
02-26-09, 08:47 PM
If nothing else, I'll bump this back up.

I had the dealer do mine a couple of years ago, so I don't have any first-hand experience to lend. Suppose to be easy, IIRC.

Oh, btw, Tony (Pagano) posted up the other day that everyone should be looking at this level frequently since letting it get too low can let air get into the system causing the clutch to not disengage completely which in turn would cause the clutch to wear prematurely and/or the sychros to wear.

CadzillaTN
02-26-09, 10:07 PM
I found my reservoir empty about a week ago...sad thing is it could have been that way for the year ive owned my V and no telling how long before.:eek: Not until I replaced the shifter did I learn that the clutch was dragging, or so it seems. I wont know for sure until I bleed the clutch and hopefully I have not prematurely worn the clutch/transmission components too much.:suspense:

Im on the fence whether to buy a nice bleeder or not. Ive always wanted one, but still need to research more. I could just take it to a shop and have it done like some suggested... Either way,Im going to get one of the high performance dot 4 fluids ive been reading about. Also gonna do the brakes the same time hence the need to probably just buy a bleeder.

Ive bled many clutches and brakes over the years (manually). Do the bleeders do any better job than manual or cut down on time and effort, or is it just a convenience/one man job benefit?

VforMe
02-27-09, 12:41 AM
Oh, btw, Tony (Pagano) posted up the other day that everyone should be looking at this level frequently since letting it get too low can let air get into the system causing the clutch to not disengage completely which in turn would cause the clutch to wear prematurely and/or the sychros to wear.

That was what made me take a look at it while I was under the hood today, thanks to Tony. Of course there is no telling how long its been like that. I guess all those checked boxes on the invoice from the dealer about checking fluid levels was a bunch of crap. On the up side I drove it dinner tonight and I can say the clutch is a lot smoother even just adding fluid to it.

814V
02-27-09, 03:27 AM
i had mine done today.. damn air bubbles in the line were pissing me off!

nmaier2201
02-27-09, 11:37 AM
Bleeders do make it super nice... I've made my own before.. but my mighty vac works great.. you can use it to push fluid in (after disconnecting the shot glass resevoir) or you can put a wrench on the bleeder and hook a suction hose up and pull the fluid out.

The pushing fluid method might end up with a decent amount of fluid IN the bell housing…. But it’s got a drain hole at the bottom… so it’s not like it gets trapped in there with the clutch…

The bleeder is not super nice to get to though as it’s on the top of the bell housing and you need a short wrench to get at it to open it up. I’ve done mine a couple times with Motul and the difference it immediately noticeable. Quality fluid in your clutch helps a ton.

Or you can do it over time as well… the cheap way…. And just keep swapping the fluid out of the shot glass reservoir… most of the crap floats to the top so if you swap it out enough eventually you’ll get most of the fluid changed.... of course that’s like changing of the trans fluid in an automatic… it’s just not the same as doing a real flush and getting it all out.

Just my 2 cents

QKSLVRTA
02-27-09, 11:51 AM
Yeah I know bleeding the clutch in my Trans Am is a pain in the butt.... Since it's pretty much the same setup I imagine the V will be a pain as well... Mighty Vac works like a charm though

VforMe
02-27-09, 12:06 PM
which mighty vac kit do you guys have? I think I'm gonna get one, looks like it would be handy to have around. The next time the dog eats something he's not supposed to I can just pump his stomach without taking em to the vet:shhh:

CadzillaTN
02-27-09, 03:48 PM
is bleeding the clutch a bigger pita than replacing the shifter? Id like to attempt it this weekend..

Im sure like everything else, a lift helps tremendously...

ccextra1976
02-27-09, 03:55 PM
instead of just bleedin why not just do it all at once and flush out the old fluid and but in some motul? I'm going to do this for track prep

CadzillaTN
02-27-09, 04:04 PM
haha...yeah, i meant flush...probaly only takes a cpl clutch pumps to drain that bird bladder we call a reservior any. im buyin the high temp dot fo stuff from a race shop here in town. gonna do brakes too.

pondered a speed bleeder but for now ill just have to bribe the woman to step on he pedal...should be a joy!

CadzillaTN
02-27-09, 04:04 PM
double post....damn crackberry

ccextra1976
02-27-09, 04:17 PM
haha...yeah, i meant flush...probaly only takes a cpl clutch pumps to drain that bird bladder we call a reservior any. im buyin the high temp dot fo stuff from a race shop here in town. gonna do brakes too.

pondered a speed bleeder but for now ill just have to bribe the woman to step on he pedal...should be a joy!

i was going to use motul what are you going to run?

CadzillaTN
02-27-09, 04:24 PM
not sure what this place will have yet... someone sent me a link to the motul 660. looked like good stuff but i cant wait on shipping...there was a good site called stoptech that had a nice article on brake fluids and they listed about 8 good brands. i just want something with low compressability, high boiling point, etc. may not be necessary for street use but im doing it anyway..

shadybx7
02-27-09, 04:49 PM
Im on the fence whether to buy a nice bleeder or not. Ive always wanted one, but still need to research more. I could just take it to a shop and have it done like some suggested... Either way,Im going to get one of the high performance dot 4 fluids ive been reading about. Also gonna do the brakes the same time hence the need to probably just buy a bleeder.

Ive bled many clutches and brakes over the years (manually). Do the bleeders do any better job than manual or cut down on time and effort, or is it just a convenience/one man job benefit?

Just to clarify, DOT4 fluid can be used for both the brakes and the clutch. right?

ccextra1976
02-27-09, 04:58 PM
Just to clarify, DOT4 fluid can be used for both the brakes and the clutch. right?

:thumbsup:

CadzillaTN
02-27-09, 08:04 PM
i was going to use motul what are you going to run?

not getting this stuff in the store.. just did a dealer locator on their website.................

http://www.motul.com.au/dealer_locator/images/au_map.gif

ccextra1976
02-27-09, 10:28 PM
not getting this stuff in the store.. just did a dealer locator on their website.................

http://www.motul.com.au/dealer_locator/images/au_map.gif

not unless you had a yaht..lol....i did a little searching and think I'm going to run all amsoil, (clutch, tranny, brakes etc)

CadzillaTN
03-20-09, 02:22 AM
can someone who has bled their brakes chime in and explain the process/difficulties/call-outs in more detail, specifically related the V? The faq just lists a generic bleed process. Ive bled many clutches before but admittedly only on fwd cars. From what i've read this must be in an impossible spot to get to (without a lift?). No one in town wants to touch it, dealer wants $125...

CadzillaTN
03-20-09, 02:31 PM
i meant bleed the clutch in the post above...need to know if i should even attempt this or just break off the cash to the dealer...i really dont want to go there for just that.

ctsv154
03-20-09, 04:14 PM
Its a PITA but you can do it on jack stands. I have bled it once, then put an extended bleeder in when the slave went out.

As for the process, if you have bled one clutch, you've bled them all, its just harder to get to on the V.

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 05:18 PM
yacht.

ccextra1976
03-20-09, 10:56 PM
yacht.

i will sleep better at night now:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 11:43 PM
go. to. bed.

ccextra1976
03-20-09, 11:59 PM
you wish

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 10:05 PM
not really

NormV
05-31-09, 02:10 PM
...Ive bled many clutches and brakes over the years (manually). Do the bleeders do any better job than manual or cut down on time and effort, or is it just a convenience/one man job benefit?

I have had my reservoir clean for over a year and today bleed the system...black-black! It was very dark so just topping off the reservoir after emptying is not enough.

Just an 8mm boxed wrench, brake fluid, and a pan to catch it. Oh, if your home alone the garden shovel work well.

Norm