: Made a great purchase

caddiedrummer
02-26-09, 05:26 PM
After all these years I finally broke down and bought a 4 post lift for the garage. I can tell you the underside of the V looks great . I have to fit 3 cars in the garage and expansion was not an option.

Had a Rotary Revolution installed after seeing the brand at various dealer bays. Seems first rate at about $4500 installed--hope I can make it up in oil changes.:rolleyes:

Caddyscat
02-26-09, 05:59 PM
Hey Drummer, if you find time i'd appreciate some good pics of the underside of the car, id like to see the goodies underneath. :D

JEM
02-26-09, 06:39 PM
After all these years I finally broke down and bought a 4 post lift for the garage.

Yeah, it's nice to have a lift.

When we remodeled a few years ago we pushed the garage roof up a bit, the local Rotary dealer was a bit of a PITA to deal with so I ended up with a Bend-Pak; the customary pizza-and-beer attracted enough friends to get the thing set up.

In a perfect world I'd have a two-post lift (or two) for wrenching, a nice modern Hunter alignment rack, and 10000sf of garage so that I wouldn't need a four-post lift for parking, but this isn't a perfect world.

Krug Ford
02-26-09, 06:58 PM
How about pics of the lift too.. I am looking at them..

Need a 4 post.. How many lbs will it hold?

caddiedrummer
02-26-09, 07:47 PM
How about pics of the lift too.. I am looking at them..

Need a 4 post.. How many lbs will it hold?

9000 pounds. 2 post is better for doing more things on the car and takes less space. Downside for me is I am putting V, Vipers and various other cars on there and am not that good at spotting. Pics soon

JEM
02-26-09, 08:19 PM
9000 pounds. 2 post is better for doing more things on the car and takes less space. Downside for me is I am putting V, Vipers and various other cars on there and am not that good at spotting. Pics soon

2-post is better for service, as long as you don't need to keep the suspension compressed while you're working, but it's inconvenient for parking and you don't want to leave a car on one with the suspension dangling at full-droop too long, it's not good for the bushings etc.

Oh yeah...the thing I like LEAST about my Bend-Pak is that the emergency-latch housings stick up above the crossbar just outboard of the ramp. If you are too far to one side, you snag your sidewall on the housing and my M5 has a big gouge in one sidewall and the Audi's got a scrape on one wheel where I wasn't careful.

I've learned, and won't do it again, but I've also got some steel plate to bend into guides to make sure that contact won't be so damaging in the future.

Albertan
02-27-09, 12:34 AM
I was at the 2007 SEMA show and I can't remember how many brands of lifts
there were but it was a lot. A friend was just showing me one he put in his shop and he said he only paid $2500 for it. Don't know the brand. But he said it would hold 7000pounds.

Krug Ford
02-27-09, 10:54 AM
I am looking for a good one..

My dad bought me a 4 post but would not let me take it I have the jacks you can drive on and lift then lower the hoist and the car is suspended.. It works great. I am going to buy a 4 post..

MYV8ABMR
02-27-09, 11:22 AM
Dont mean to thread jack but I wanted to show you guys my ift..............

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10080348-48.html

..............jk I wish

NormV
02-27-09, 12:14 PM
Jack stands are still king! $60.00 for a full set of stands!!

Mallett Motors does not use a lift of any sort. Square footage rules! You posers! :)

Norm

thebigjimsho
02-27-09, 10:49 PM
Jack stands are still king! $60.00 for a full set of stands!!

Mallett Motors does not use a lift of any sort. Square footage rules! You posers! :)

Norm
you're so cruel...

undertaker
03-01-09, 09:40 AM
I was at the 2007 SEMA show and I can't remember how many brands of lifts
there were but it was a lot. A friend was just showing me one he put in his shop and he said he only paid $2500 for it. Don't know the brand. But he said it would hold 7000pounds.

I have a bendpak 2 post 10K lift in my big garage. I use it mainly for working on the cars but in a jam it gets used for storage. Its big enough to get a diesel dually on it (I will admit I'm a little nervous under it) but I have no worries leaving a 3-4k car on it for extended periods.

When I went to sema in 07 I grabbed a ton of paperwork from the various lift vendors, I wound up tossing them a few months ago, since my buddy who's always using my lift has decided he's buying a second lift for my garage so the choice isn't up to me on the second one. There were a ton of deals at sema though.......trade show specials etc.

big thing to check on is your concrete.....I think 4.5 inch pads are the minimum (more important with a 2 post than 4 obviously) and clearance vertically (although some companies sell shorter height units) my stupid ceiling is 12.5 between the beams but just under 12 at the beams.....of course we had to do some creative notching and reinforcing to fit my columns....

Now I'd mount one myself, but first time around its probably worth professional install (mounting/assembling itself cost me $500)

also most if not all run on 220V.