: Onstar digital upgrade problem

mike sts
02-26-09, 06:11 PM
Just had my 2005 STS 1sg upgraded from analog to digital onstar. As soon as I left the dealership I noticed when I called onstar the advisor sounded tiny lots of static and now when i call people using my bluetooth connection they tell me they can bearly hear me and it has much more static than it used to have. Has anyone else experienced this? I just brought the car back to the dealer and told them to fix my bluetooth connection or put my car back to analog and cancel my onstar. pleae advise

miked
02-27-09, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Digital shouldn't have static -- the static you're hearing is probably from a bad connection within the car (to the microphone or to the speakers).

The Bluetooth in the Cadillacs is far from perfect. Many phones don't pair correctly. GM did not put in a cross-talk cancelling microphone, so if you have your volume on too loud, people will complain that you sound echo-ie, or that they can hear themselves when they're talking to you.

mike sts
06-18-09, 09:11 PM
as a update the car has been worked on since febuary for this. So far the dealer has installed a new VCIM wire harness, a new vcim, a new amplifyer, and tried a navigation unit from another car, nothing has cured the magnetic humming noise a caller hears when i call them from a bluetooth connected phone

stevenriz
06-22-09, 12:26 PM
I also started getting that magnetic noise as the engine accellerates through the left front speaker. The calls work fine other then that. Bluetooth has never worked good, that cross cancelling mic that MikeD mentioned sounds like the problem I have. My callers can hear me fine but when they talk they hear an echo no matter how loud I have it. I have given up. Don't think there is any resolution for my problems anyway without living at the dealer for the next couple months. Not my idea of fun.

Dadollac1
06-22-09, 11:49 PM
mikests,It's funny but I never have all those problems from my bluetooth with my razor but I just found out that my onstar has a dual mode setup. It is analog and digital so it didn't need upgrading to subscribe to onstar.

z06bigbird
06-23-09, 12:30 AM
as a update the car has been worked on since febuary for this. So far the dealer has installed a new VCIM wire harness, a new vcim, a new amplifyer, and tried a navigation unit from another car, nothing has cured the magnetic humming noise a caller hears when i call them from a bluetooth connected phone

Poor ground!! Try another dealer.

amgqmp1
06-26-09, 10:46 PM
Poor ground!! Try another dealer.

Agreed, the symptoms do point to an imbalanced ground.

If the service department at the dealer did that much warranty work without fixing your ground problem...then they may have an ulterior motive to your frequent visits.
FWIW, I'm not usually the conspiracy type. :)

mike sts
07-02-09, 09:53 PM
So far what I am told is that there is a known issue with some sts microphones picking up interference from a cell phones antena. They told me to try another phone. I have tried 6 phones all buzzed. T mobile says its my car. I am still trying to get them to fix this