: Safety Recall (upcoming)---control arm separation

Dreamin
07-04-04, 04:42 PM
Not sure if there is a central place to post this... it affects the CTS, SRX, and XLR...

Upcoming Safety Recall 04043 Lower Control Arm Ball Stud Washer

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS DCS1214 URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: June 30, 2004

Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 04043 Lower Control Arm Ball Stud Washer

Models: 2004 Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR
2004 Chevrolet Corvette

To: All Cadillac and Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Dealer Operator, General Manager, Sales Manager, Used Car Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Administrator

Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site, the media may report that General Motors will be announcing a safety recall involving certain 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles.

Some of these vehicles have lower control arm ball stud nut/washer assemblies with washers made of the wrong steel material. The washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle. This could cause separation of the lower control arm from the knuckle, resulting in the loss of vehicle control.

To correct this condition, Cadillac and Chevrolet dealers will inspect the ball stud joints and measure the torque of the nut for all front lower control arms in all models affected as well as the rear lower control arms on the XLR and Corvette. If the torque is not at specification, the dealers will replace the ball stud, the knuckle, and the nut. If the torque is at specification, the dealers will replace the nut/washer assembly only. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.

There are approximately 45,000 vehicles involved. GM is working with its suppliers to obtain the parts needed to correct this condition as quickly as possible. Based on the anticipated schedule, we plan to begin notifying customers about this recall during the third quarter of 2004. GMVIS information will not be available until the recall is formally announced.

Listed below are some anticipated questions and answers to assist in responding to customer inquiries.

Q1: What is the condition that prompted a safety recall?
A1: Some 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles have lower control arm ball stud nut/washer assemblies with washers made of the wrong steel material.

Q2: What impact does this condition have on the vehicle?
A2: The washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle. This could cause separation of the lower control arm from the knuckle, resulting in the loss of vehicle control.

Q3: What might occur as a result of this condition?
A3: If front control arm separation occurs, the affected corner of the vehicle could drop and the control arm may be forced downward, contacting the wheel. This would slow the vehicle down and create a tendency for the vehicle to turn in the direction of the affected corner.

For the XLR and Corvette, if rear control arm separation occurs, there could be unpredictable right or left lateral forces at the rear of the vehicle. Although steering of the front wheels would be unaffected, control of the vehicle might be difficult.

Q4: Can the driver maintain control of the vehicle?
A4: The driver could maintain some steering control of the unaffected front wheel(s), however control would be diminished. The braking system would continue to be functional. If the separation of the wheel assembly severs the wheel's hydraulic brake hose, this may result in increased stopping distance.

Q5: How would a customer realize the condition exists?
A5: Fracture of the washer may occur unexpectedly without prior indication to the vehicle operator.

Q6: Have there been any incidents related to this condition?
A6: GM is aware of four incidences of the condition occurring.

Q7: Have there been any reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition?
A7: There have been no reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition.

Q8: How was this condition discovered?
A8: A fractured washer was discovered at the assembly plant.

Q9: Why was the washer made of the wrong steel material?
A9: GM is investigating how the suspect washers were stamped with the wrong material.

Q10: Is it possible that vehicles built before January 8 and after April 20, 2004 may have the suspect washers?
A10: These are the start and stop dates of vehicles built with the suspect washers. GM purged its supply of nut/washer assemblies received from the supplier and replaced them with nut/washer assemblies made of certified materials.

Q11: Where were these vehicles built?
A11: The Cadillacs involved in this recall were built at the General Motors assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan (Grand River plant) and the Corvettes were assembled in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Q12: What will GM do to correct this condition on the subject vehicles?
A12: Cadillac and Chevrolet dealers will inspect the ball stud joints and measure the torque of the nut for all lower control arms in all models affected as well as the rear lower control arms on the XLR and Corvette. If the torque is not at specification, the dealers will replace the ball stud, the knuckle, and the nut. If the torque is at specification, the dealers will replace the nut assembly only. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.

Q13: Are parts at the dealers, and can customers bring in their vehicles for repair right away?
A13: No. The recall will begin during the third quarter of 2004.

Q14: Is the vehicle safe to drive?
A14: The 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles involved in this recall meet all federal safety standards.

Z06CTSV
07-04-04, 05:13 PM
Thanks....

07-06-04, 05:19 PM
Hopefully the software reflash for the oil temp will be available when the recalls go out so that we can kill two birds with one stone.......

cts-vette
07-06-04, 09:46 PM
Bingo! I have about 5K on my V - and just started hearing a noise from the front end when I go over speed bumps or when shifting as I accelerate on the entrance to a highway (or other) that sounds like something is shifting foward and back...my first thought was control arm or strut tower...Guess this might be my answer, have an apt for friday for this, the oil reflash and 2nd service - i will post any findings over the weekend.
I will also have the rear done since i am concerned about what many have posted.

I have to say - what a great car overall! I don't seem to have many of the other issue here with the exception of the most common (wheel hop).

BTW - great job on the Valentine 1 install instructions, have mine all hard wired in and works like a charm...thanks for the help on that one!!

ctsvett
07-07-04, 02:14 AM
is the oil reflash available yet?

do you have the correct part number to tell the service dept?

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

benjet
07-07-04, 02:17 AM
is the oil reflash available yet?
Not @ my dealer as of 7/1/04.

-Ben

GTS21
07-07-04, 01:03 PM
Bingo! I have about 5K on my V - and just started hearing a noise from the front end when I go over speed bumps or when shifting as I accelerate on the entrance to a highway (or other) that sounds like something is shifting foward and back...my first thought was control arm or strut tower...Guess this might be my answer, have an apt for friday for this, the oil reflash and 2nd service - i will post any findings over the weekend.
I will also have the rear done since i am concerned about what many have posted.

I have to say - what a great car overall! I don't seem to have many of the other issue here with the exception of the most common (wheel hop).

BTW - great job on the Valentine 1 install instructions, have mine all hard wired in and works like a charm...thanks for the help on that one!!
I've also got a strange noise when going over speed bumps, and just a little over 5,000 miles. Very interesting. :suspect:

wildwhl
07-07-04, 02:21 PM
Showed this to my dealer yesterday.

Their response? Since they don't know which VIN #'s were affected they aren't able to do anything. I commented that this notice indicates the affected part, that my car was on the lift and could easily be checked, and they indicated that they wouldn't do anything.

Sounds like a great dealer, doesn't it?

Hope mine doesn't fail...

Wildwhl

Dreamin
07-07-04, 09:02 PM
Affects vehicles built: January 8 to April 20, 2004... Car's production date will be on door sticker... though this still may not be enough to convince your dealer :banghead:

I suspect the dealer wont get paid back from GM for any time spent on this, until the Recall is officially issued.

jmgco
07-07-04, 09:29 PM
I suspect the dealer wont get paid back from GM for any time spent on this, until the Recall is officially issued.

Bingo! Why do people feel that the dealer should fix a manufacturing problem at their expense?

No recall/Labor Ops means no reimbursement.

-John

pmsteinm
07-12-04, 01:02 PM
I think I'm one the four incidents mentioned in the recall. I brought my V in because the stability system would engage if I ever accelerated hard and then made a 15-45 degree left turn (turning harder wouldn't do it). The dealer calls me the next day saying they have a problem: While test driving it to determine the source of the problem the right front control arm seperated. All I could think was that I'm glad it happened when they were driving it and not me. Cadillac had them replace the wheel (the control arm damaged it), tire, control arm, ball joint, and they had to repaint the underside of the front air dam.

It's nice to know the stability system can tell that the car is falling apart before the driver can.

wildwhl
07-13-04, 03:27 AM
Bingo! Why do people feel that the dealer should fix a manufacturing problem at their expense?

No recall/Labor Ops means no reimbursement.

-John

John -

Well, who should we expect to fix it? We purchase the car from the dealer who at that time tells us what a fantastic service department and staff they have, and to never hesitate to bring the car in for any problem. So, I ask you then, whether it is a manufacturing defect or not, who SHOULD we expect to fix it? FWIW - Lansing, MI is a long way for me to drive for a service/recall issue :)

globed70
07-13-04, 10:07 AM
Isn't GM leaving themselves open for massive liability when there is a known safety issue which they cannot immediately address? :hmm:

Dreamin
07-14-04, 12:27 AM
While test driving it to determine the source of the problem the right front control arm seperated.

yep, sure sounds like your one of the four!

jmgco
07-14-04, 06:48 PM
John -

Well, who should we expect to fix it? We purchase the car from the dealer who at that time tells us what a fantastic service department and staff they have, and to never hesitate to bring the car in for any problem. So, I ask you then, whether it is a manufacturing defect or not, who SHOULD we expect to fix it? FWIW - Lansing, MI is a long way for me to drive for a service/recall issue :)
Your missing my point.

Of course the dealer should fix it but NOT before GM gives them the proper Labor Operations to fix it and at the same time say that they WILL reimburse the dealer for the work.

Remember, GM warranties the vehicle NOT the dealer.

-John

tornglasser
08-23-04, 01:04 AM
I have an SRX in the time frame of issue. At around 6,000 miles it started making a squeaking noise when braking over a rough surface. No noise when not braking, slight noise when car rocks backward on a med-hard brake. Could it be related to the recall part?

cadillactech
02-02-05, 08:15 PM
Probably opening a can of worms here, but, the general public is ALWAYS the first to know about recalls. The dealer is usually the last. We have been doing the ball joint nut recall already. The issue is this....if the dealer does not have the parts to fix the car in stock, it is futile to even rack it up. Now, if you came in complaining about a front suspension noise, and we determine that your car is about to be dangerous, you would get a rental car until we can get the parts. I know it's hard to comprehend, but JMGCO is right, if we dont have the necessary information, our hands are tied.