: '90 Brougham, 350 - tough accleration when cold

tru504187211
02-26-09, 02:12 AM
I have had to drive the Brougham for a few weeks this winter, and have noticed that even on warmer days like 40 degrees, when the car is first started until about 15 mins later, it does not like to accelerate. When I push the pedal down, it may kind of jerk like she wants to accelerate, but it won't happen.

Is it a general rule with something this general to do a full tune up and see what happens next time or is their something in particular that I should look for?

Cadillac Giovanni
02-26-09, 03:10 PM
This happens to me sometimes when it's really cold as well. Probably a combination of cold fluids, and a cold carb, maybe some misfiring spark plugs. Often I find my car just won't shift beyond first if it's really cold. When it's that frigid out, I just let it warm up for 5 minutes or so before I drive, and it's fine.

VortecCaddy
02-26-09, 06:16 PM
I would start with a tune-up and also some sort of intake de-carbonizer. Seafoam works pretty good. Also check vacuum lines. If cracks are present they will expand when cold, then once the engine warms up they will contract.