: reduced power mode and rough idle

Cleaner13
02-25-09, 08:44 PM
Ok i recently purchased a ported throttle body and installed it today, swapping out only the TPS on the stocker to the ported. The install was very easy and straight forward. I also would like to mention that at the same time I did descreen the MAF. I only learned after that I probably shouldnt have but as I do recall looking at www.stealthv.com garage sale, I remembered seeing them for sale, so I ASSumed it was normally done.Anyway after the install, I started the car and have reduced power mode and a rough high idle.I read on www.cadillacfaq.com how to relearn the tps and to get rid of the reduced power mode, however the descriptions of how to do it are a bit vague.i.e. To reset the reduced power mode it says to crank the car with your foot on the accelerator down to the floor. Now am I keeping the clutch in as well or keeping the car in neutral and attempting it that way?scenario 2.Resetting the ETC (electronic throttle control)Turn the key to run for atleast 3 mins. Start the engine and let it idle for 30 secs. Turn the engine off and restart. When it says to turn the key to run, are we talking turning the key to the position right before cranking etc.?Anyway this is my scenario at the time and if I am going to run through these procedures which should I do first?By the way along with the reduced power on the screen it also shows the traction control out and obviously the check engine light (not sure if those are both on with this problem normally)Thank you ahead of time for any help

CadiBlk
02-25-09, 08:59 PM
Descreening the MAF like you said prolly wasn't the best thing to do and may be damaged. Rough idle could be due to the ported TB being ported improperly and too much material was taken off allowing more air to pass the blade. From what I have read you can fix a bad port with a tune, but that kind of stuff scares me.

As for the reduce power mode reset process, I've never had it, so I am no help.

Good luck. When you get it figured out, be sure to document a more clear process and post it up here.

Cleaner13
02-25-09, 09:05 PM
Thank you for the response. I have ruled out the throttle body being overported however because I have temporarily had it idle under 1000rpms (like around 700ish) and if it was overported it should be just like a big hole sucking air in and no matter what I would do it would be running high rpms.

lollygagger8
02-26-09, 08:37 AM
Descreening MAF = Not good. Get a new one at a junkyard or Cleveland PickApart and save yourself alot of trouble

NormV
02-26-09, 08:57 AM
What dtc codes? Probably 1514/0068. Just another $300 for dyno tune and you should be set. What hp did you gain? :)

Norm

67+05CaddyV
02-26-09, 10:21 AM
Ditto what NormV said. Pull the codes using Autozone reader, gently clean MAF with alcochol swab. etc, and go see a tuner. If you don't know a tuner ask here and someone will direct you. Same things happened to me and gone now....

AlmostAV
02-26-09, 10:35 AM
I have had my maf descreened for 50k + miles....cars running better than ever. I picked up 1.3 rwhp and some low end torque by removing the screen. You either damaged the maf, or the throttle body needs tuning - like with most pnp throttle bodies. Throw your stock TB back in the car since it takes all of 10 minutes to do, and see if that solves the issue.

Like Norm said, you need a tune. Most likely nothing is wrong.

02+ z06 didnt even come with maf screens from the factory...that should tell you they arent needed.

Kmajecki
02-26-09, 10:52 AM
When you turn the key to on, not start, does the nav screen already say reduced power mode? If that's coming up before you even start the car, i'm guessing its the TB. Mine did that at the track once, plugged in a new TB and it went away without even starting the car.

The TB you bought, did it include the motor and all electronics or did you have to transfer your parts over to it?

heavymetals
02-26-09, 03:55 PM
I would put the original TB back in and see what happens.

Kmajecki
02-26-09, 04:06 PM
Yes absolutely! That should be step one. the only reason i assume you havent already done this is if you had to move your TB's electronics to the new one...

Cleaner13
02-26-09, 04:31 PM
Everyone thank you for all your helpThis is where Im at right nowI went out and bought a scanner (I figured I can use it elsewhere and justify the expense)The codes that came up wereP0106 P0068I cleared the codes and the only one that comes back is P0068When I did clear them however with the car running, the idle changed from erractic back to stock.Yes I did transfer just the TPS to the new throttle body, It already had the other piece with the gears inside etc..I was thinking of throwing the stocker back on, however the problem I have is that one of the TPS bolts feels like its going to snap off upon me loosening it and I dont need another headache.I was going to get one of the PCMs from Wait4performancewould that clear up this problem or do I need to literally go to a dyno/tuner or something other?Again thank you so much, this situation has me totally frustrated lol.I wonder if I could find a place with the TPS at a store at this time or if its a special order item etc.

CadiBlk
02-26-09, 04:40 PM
ReadingthatremindsmeofemailsfromNigerianscammers

Cleaner13
02-26-09, 04:45 PM
ReadingthatremindsmeofemailsfromNigerianscammers

I apologize it happens like that when I write my information on separate lines instead of the same paragraph

heavymetals
02-26-09, 05:37 PM
Your frustrating yourself by not troubleshooting it to find out what is causing the problem.

Your just throwing "solutions" at it.

ichpen
02-26-09, 05:52 PM
Have you checked the obvious things?

leaks
good connections
re-seated the tube

Cleaner13
02-26-09, 06:08 PM
Im not trying to sound like a smartass, but how am I not trouble shooting it?What would you suggest?I already checked everything to make sure all connections are proper and tight, every bolt and band was tight and thats all there is. Its only the 3 bolts, 3 bands, 3 sensors and 3 lines (2 for coolant and one for the pcv I assume)If you referring to replacing the stock throttle body, I already mentioned my problem with that in my past paragraph which is the tps bolt felt like it was going to snap off and thats why I didnt swap the TPS onto the stocker and put the stocker in. The only thing left is to replace either parts or sensors one at a time, clear the codes and see if they stay cleared or come up again.My first step was to track down another tps which I found at an autozone. I will put that on the stocker throttle body and swap it out with the ported one.

NormV
02-26-09, 06:26 PM
Let us know what you find out.

Norm

Cleaner13
02-26-09, 06:29 PM
Will doI did find someone with a simliar problem on here named Chef and the thread was called Is souletr possessed etc...He had the same symptons as me, but it never states what the main solution turned out to be, plus he had way many more modifications.

CadiBlk
02-26-09, 07:13 PM
here's some reading

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/159357-accelerator-issue-check-engine-app-code.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/150293-v-reduced-power-mode-help-please.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/149880-throttle-surge.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/142393-ported-tb-surging-issue.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/132078-engine-power-reduced.html

814V
02-27-09, 02:19 AM
thats a lot of reading.. i vote put the old one back on and see what gives

Cleaner13
02-27-09, 07:25 AM
guys thank you for the help, I actually read every single one of those threads prior to posting.I did however get the tps off the new throttle body without snapping the bolt. I went out and matched the bolt and got stainless ones to put in the stocker.Will be swapping to the stocker today or tomorrow if I get a chance and I will keep you updated.

Cleaner13
02-27-09, 03:04 PM
Ok swapped the stocker back today and its running and out of reduced power modeIts a little sluggish and a little choppy but its running.I ran a scan and only came up with the codes P0102 which is a low frequency to the MAF.Does this mean I need a new MAF or will my tune be able to take care of this?Thank you again everyone

heavymetals
02-27-09, 08:29 PM
Now you get to decide if a tune is gonna fix all your problems with the new TB, and you may have also damaged the MAF.

Welcome to mod hell.