: Hello all

xGruvdogx
02-25-09, 07:12 PM
Hello everybody. I recently purchased a 99 seville sls, it was quite a few dollars under Blue Book so I thought it was a steal, come to find out it wasn't, it was low because of the HG, now I am looking at the time certs/norms/studs issue because I bought it in Texas and I have no other way of returning/repairing the car so I was wondering what all the long time owners thought was the best solution would it be the studs/norms/time certs? I have read quite a bit on this forum However none really resolved my question so I figured a new topic was in order (sorry if you disagree) what one of the fixes do you all recomend?

Again sorry if I am out of order here making a new topic but I could not resolve my issue with the search function.

Ranger
02-25-09, 07:15 PM
I'd go with the studs.

xGruvdogx
02-25-09, 07:30 PM
Cool thanks for the reply man. I bought the car this Saturday (yes 4 days ago) and I guess I was not "in the know" enough about the sevilles before the purchase. But unless you have seen the symptoms who really would be (purely consolation for myself.) So I thought the studs looked pretty slick and called the dealer but they wouldn't install them so I checked around for shops and found one. What would ballpark be for installing the studs? I'm not asking anyone to step on anyones toes just trying not to get ripped off too much on a car I was already ripped off on, sheesh it hurts just writing it.

Ranger
02-25-09, 08:55 PM
Installing studs is not much different than installing Timeserts or Norm's. General cost is around $3000 - $3500, because the entire drive train must be dropped.

xGruvdogx
02-25-09, 09:05 PM
cool thanks again for the reply, I figured it wouldn't be much different. The car only has 87500 miles on it and it is too clean to do away with. The studs look to be a much better option than the certs but was on the fence because of the whole snake oil thing, after my mechanic checked it out he said "I see what they are trying to do there" lol, after the old internet joke... so I figured I would ask here. Again thanks.

Raze
02-25-09, 09:10 PM
So i'm wondering, because I know from other stud'd engines, how many N* owners are going to properly remove VC gaskets and retorque their stud nuts or a shop for that matter that does the install? I ask because many stud nuts require retorquing, most at least once, some recommend more than that...

xGruvdogx
02-25-09, 09:25 PM
how often should the vc gasket nuts be re-torqued? I read the stud webpage as install (correctly and it is 99.9%) fixed for good. I'm not much of a mechanic so anything useful is...well... super useful. thanks.

Ranger
02-25-09, 10:03 PM
I would talk to Jake about that, but I doubt they are supposed to be retorqued, as there is not much room to get the back one off and you have to pull the water pump pulley to get the front one off. I suspect maybe he is using Locktite on the nuts or maybe double nut them to lock'em.

STSj90
02-25-09, 10:05 PM
Go with the studs. As stated above

Let the guy with the studs post up in this thread. (97eldo) He will let you know anything you want to know about the stud kit:thumbsup:

xGruvdogx
02-26-09, 01:35 AM
cool thanks guys, after reading numerous HG posts and thinking on it a while i figured the studs were the best option, but was second guessing myself because I fell for the sales pitch when I bought it, so was just hoping my ticker wasn't off by too much haha.

Raze
02-26-09, 08:50 AM
I would talk to Jake about that, but I doubt they are supposed to be retorqued, as there is not much room to get the back one off and you have to pull the water pump pulley to get the front one off. I suspect maybe he is using Locktite on the nuts or maybe double nut them to lock'em.

That's exactly why I would ask to be sure, you don't want to have to retorque a nut on the back at a 45 to the big torque numbers required, not fun...

David Jenison
02-27-09, 12:28 PM
Make sure you look at potential oil leak areas. While it the parts are dropped and accessible, it would be a great time to address any issues. Unlike me, no one told me I had a half case? oil gasket leaking.
Good luck.

DAVE
'97 Concours