: Tires for my 05 STS

mikemillion2000
02-25-09, 04:48 PM
Wanted to get any recommendations for purchasing at a decent price (not the $1200 that the dealer is asking)...

Note that there are two different sizes in the front and the back, and the dealer is also telling me about the Speed Rating? and not just the sizes.

Any suggestions are appreciated..

ifmracin
02-25-09, 10:21 PM
www.tirerack.com
www.discounttiredirect.com

Just search fitment by car model.
You also don't have to stick with the staggered sizing if you don't want, my car has 245's all the way around.
Advantage to this is performing conventional rotations.

Force-1
02-25-09, 10:28 PM
I installed Kumho Ecsta ASX tires (staggered) on my STS. They are much cheaper than the OEM Michelin's, and handle much better IMO.

Less than $500 for all 4, mounted and balanced, at Discount Tire.

mikemillion2000
02-25-09, 10:56 PM
Thanx for the information folks, definitely a big help... I laughed at Force 1's answer, I just looked at some Kumbo tires on ebay last night... But how do they handle in inclement weather.. hmmm....???

mike-

Force-1
02-26-09, 12:12 AM
Thanx for the information folks, definitely a big help... I laughed at Force 1's answer, I just looked at some Kumbo tires on ebay last night... But how do they handle in inclement weather.. hmmm....???

mike-

Inclement weather--Albuquerque--what's that? :confused::histeric:

Aurora5000
02-26-09, 09:29 AM
Bought Falken 235/50/17 tires. Falken rated 1st by consumer reports (Nov 07). I find it about 50% quieter that standard Michelins. Has great performance around corners. Great on wet traction. 40K mileage tire. No pro rated.

Ziex ZE-912
All-Season Performance Touring
UTQG (UHP): 360 AA A
UTQG (60/65): 480 A A

- HYBRID-ASYMMETRIC PATTERN DESIGN: Provides authentic High-Performance grip and genuine Touring confidence. Optimized interior and exterior pattern designs ensure that dry performance, stability, and all-season grip are available whenever and wherever you need it.

- INFINITE SYPE SEQUENCE: Incorporates heavy full-depth sypes throughout the entire tread platform. Countless biting edges dramatically increase traction in winter months while improving overall grip when nature is at its worst. Come rain, shine, sleet, or snow the ZE-912 will deliver you in confidence.

- R.W.I. (ROTATION WEAR INDICATORS): Provides the driver with visual cues to help maximize tire life and overall value. Consistent rotations and inflation pressure management are paramount when safety and confidence are top of mind.

- QUAD HIGH - VOLUME CIRCUMFERENTIAL GROOVES: Deliver increased hydroplane resistance for maximum wet stability. Standing water and highway speeds are no match for the ZE-912.

- HIGH ANGLE VARIABLE CROSS GROOVES: Increase tread stability while effectively evacuating water away from the contact area. The ZE-912 embodies the essence of performance during each of the four seasons.

MILEAGE WARRANTY
- UHP: 40,000
- 60/65 Series: 65,000

luizbras
02-26-09, 03:46 PM
Hi, I just got a STS 2006 V8 and it came with 4 Blizzak tires in very good shape. They are 225-55-R17 all around. What all season tires should I get the same size or go for a 235-50-R17.

Thanks, Luiz

ifmracin
02-27-09, 11:29 AM
I currently am running 245 all seasons.

chkline
03-02-09, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure what size you need but I have a set of 18" Sumitomo HTR Z3 tires 235 front 255 rears that I just took off my STS. These tires were brand new when I purchased the car the end of last year. These tires are like new with only a few thousand highway miles on them. They are quiet, smooth, and have great traction in dry and wet conditions. I went back to Michelins due to business reasons. I'll make you a deal as these are just sitting in the garage.