: Does the V have a disc-changer?

pmsteinm
02-25-09, 12:56 PM
It's not clear from the literature if the new V has the in dash CD changer which is optional on the regular CTS. Can any owners tell me if there is one?

wait4me
02-25-09, 01:03 PM
You have a hard drive that holds 1000s of songs, i dont think a changer is needed. But no there is not one.

tedcmiller
02-25-09, 01:58 PM
The CTS-V has a single CD player and a 40 GB hardfile. A CD changer is not an option. You play each CD one at a time and record the CD on the hardfile, if desired. As wait4me points out, with this arrangement there really is no need for a CD changer.

pmsteinm
02-25-09, 05:17 PM
Does the harddrive store in a lossless format, or is it compressed? I figure I'll just use my Ipod w/the new V (which has all my stuff on it as lossless).

jvp
02-25-09, 06:27 PM
I figure I'll just use my Ipod w/the new V (which has all my stuff on it as lossless).

Using your iPod (or a thumb drive) is almost always going to be the best option, just from the sake of storage size. Though I'm curious about your use of ALAC on your iPod. You must not have a lot of songs on it? ...

jas

Cadillac Tony
02-25-09, 06:38 PM
If your ear can tell the difference between raw and lossy audio, use the iPod. Song files are compressed down when loaded onto the HDD, and it will actually only hold about 10gb of song data (the Nav software eats up the rest).

caddiedrummer
02-25-09, 08:18 PM
If your ear can tell the difference between raw and lossy audio, use the iPod. Song files are compressed down when loaded onto the HDD, and it will actually only hold about 10gb of song data (the Nav software eats up the rest).

Agree. What a great IPOD function/screen on V. I just got an 09 Viper and can't even add an IPOD w/o making the gauges go bonkers.

pmsteinm
02-26-09, 12:52 PM
I can fit about 2200 songs on my 80GB Ipod using apple lossless. My wife has a 120GB one, doesn't use lossless, and has about 100GB free. But she won't switch with me:bigroll:

I figure I'll hardly ever use the CD in the V, just the Ipod. I can't wait..is the car here yet:excited: ? (Built this week).

62Jeff
02-26-09, 10:10 PM
Using your iPod (or a thumb drive) is almost always going to be the best option, just from the sake of storage size.

I did just that. Ripped 94 CDs into 9 Gig on a $30 16 Gig USB drive using a Rip Bit rate of 320 Kbps. Now my USB drive sits in my glovebox, and I still have room for another 50 CDs on that one little $30 investment.

As a side bonus, now my entire CD collection is ripped and available wherever I want to take it - something I couldn't say if I'd stuck them all on the internal hard disk.

zevee
03-01-09, 11:10 PM
There is a 6 disc in dash on mine, but as you said it has so many other options. I need to get some DVD A to see how well the system works.
DVD Video sounds great in 5.1

62Jeff
03-01-09, 11:12 PM
There is a 6 disc in dash on mine, but as you said it has so many other options. I need to get some DVD A to see how well the system works.
DVD Video sounds great in 5.1

You must not have Nav then?

Kyle_B
03-02-09, 11:47 AM
I have been really pleased with the iPod interface. In fact, I don't even know if my CD player works --haven't tried it! :)

Only downside is that my kids love to play DJ all the way to school in the mornings, which can be distracting.

tedcmiller
03-02-09, 06:42 PM
I stand corrected. You get a six-disc changer on the CTS-V if you do not ask for the navigation option. Any CTS or CTS-V with the navigation option has only a single disc player. This difference is not clearly spelled out on the Cadillac web site.