: ? about rolled fenders

verywhitedevil
02-25-09, 12:12 AM
New member! I want to roll my fenders and when inspecting, I noticed that if you roll the fender the inner fender liner has nothing to sit against. What did everyone with rolled fenders do about the inner liner??

I have not decided on whether to do the modification to the fender myself or have a body shop take care of it. Any thoughts from previous V owners who have tackled this??

Future mods: short throw, H & R, Kooks & B & B muffs

Current: Billet door pulls, A/C & Radio knobs, Momo shifter handle, brushed aluminum interior overlay, spoiler, BFG GForce Super Sport AT, tint

2005 Platinum / Ebony / 40K miles

I'll never go back!!!

50 4Ever
02-25-09, 01:22 AM
The only V I've seen with rolled fenders is calicadi. He recently moved to Arizona, I don't know where. Don't remember what he did with the inner liner. Also he had a body shop do the work.

:thumbsup:

shadybx7
02-25-09, 01:28 AM
apparently all 04V's have rolled fenders. i have never personally seen the insider of a rolled V fender cause i have an 05 Platinum wit Ebony too.(nice). BTW get a shifter first, it will bring you the most pleasure :stirpot:

814V
02-25-09, 03:18 AM
New member! I want to roll my fenders and when inspecting, I noticed that if you roll the fender the inner fender liner has nothing to sit against. What did everyone with rolled fenders do about the inner liner??

I have not decided on whether to do the modification to the fender myself or have a body shop take care of it. Any thoughts from previous V owners who have tackled this??

Future mods: short throw, H & R, Kooks & B & B muffs

Current: Billet door pulls, A/C & Radio knobs, Momo shifter handle, brushed aluminum interior overlay, spoiler, BFG GForce Super Sport AT, tint

2005 Platinum / Ebony / 40K miles

I'll never go back!!!

oh snap! another AZ member??? nice! looks like we have another buddy to come hang with us at V gatherings.. maybe we will have 4 this time! ha ha

oh yea.. i just had my fenders rolled from a body shop. your more then welcome to come look at my car. i live in the east side

thebigjimsho
02-25-09, 04:00 PM
The only V I've seen with rolled fenders is calicadi. He recently moved to Arizona, I don't know where. Don't remember what he did with the inner liner. Also he had a body shop do the work.

:thumbsup:zonacadi didn't roll his fenders, he had them flared. a lot of custom fab work...

tweeter81
02-25-09, 04:32 PM
I guess the '04s did have rolled fenders, but they were only bent (or rolled) up to about a 45 degree angle upwards. I had a body shop do my fronts after my front driver tire caught my fender and bent it out and they rolled the fender lip completely up so it basically made a "U" shape. I guess I have never had any problems with the inner wheelwell liner in over 15,000 miles. I still need to have the rear fenders rolled. I would recommend having a body shop do the work...and it is important if you get wider than stock wheels.

thebigjimsho
02-25-09, 04:40 PM
I guess the '04s did have rolled fenders, but they were only bent (or rolled) up to about a 45 degree angle upwards. I had a body shop do my fronts after my front driver tire caught my fender and bent it out and they rolled the fender lip completely up so it basically made a "U" shape. I guess I have never had any problems with the inner wheelwell liner in over 15,000 miles. I still need to have the rear fenders rolled. I would recommend having a body shop do the work...and it is important if you get wider than stock wheels.
must be the downforce from the portholes...

LUVMY04V
02-25-09, 06:07 PM
apparently all 04V's have rolled fenders. i have never personally seen the insider of a rolled V fender cause i have an 05 Platinum wit Ebony too.(nice). BTW get a shifter first, it will bring you the most pleasure :stirpot:

Yeah mine are rolled :thumbsup: factory roll FTW!

50 4Ever
02-25-09, 08:45 PM
zonacadi didn't roll his fenders, he had them flared. a lot of custom fab work...

I could swear he said he had them rolled. Maybe you can enlighten me as to the difference?

verywhitedevil
02-25-09, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info!! 814v, I will take you up on that offer. I am on the westside, but over there all the time.

rolled vs. flared

rolling the fender basically requires you to bend/roll the fender inner lip back torwards itself to remove the sharp lip from destroying your tires. You can run larger tires, but nothing as large when you flare.

flaring the fender lets you run wider rim/tire combo. A good example of a flared fender is on a BMW. Check out 2002 3 series rear of the car. Then check out the M3 from that same year. Let's them run huge rear tires, IMO. That is my 2 cents.

thebigjimsho
02-25-09, 09:05 PM
I could swear he said he had them rolled. Maybe you can enlighten me as to the difference?
he sent me pics. he had custom bodywork done to flare his stock fenders out. not as much as specter's, but quite a bit more. I think he was running 265 tires on 9.5" rims. I had the pics but they are on my dead laptop...

ctsv154
02-25-09, 09:26 PM
hmm... I wonder how much that cost? I think it could look really good as long as it was done right.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
02-25-09, 10:03 PM
he sent me pics. he had custom bodywork done to flare his stock fenders out. not as much as specter's, but quite a bit more. I think he was running 265 tires on 9.5" rims. I had the pics but they are on my dead laptop...

Similar to the VR?

atdeneve
02-26-09, 02:26 PM

:thumbsup:

zonacadi didn't roll his fenders, he had them flared. a lot of custom fab work...

hmm... I wonder how much that cost? I think it could look really good as long as it was done right.

Similar to the VR?

To most eyes, you could not tell that his car was flared. Very subtle, but it did allow him to run the 265s on wider Jongbloeds. It was definitely not a simple roll job. Like Jim said, it was a full on project - not cheap (more than just a couple thou).

I'd say that it was not a visual mod. At all. Like I said, most would not be able to tell the difference, unless you had another stock V sitting next to it. Purely functional, with the singular goal of fitting wider meat under there - he could actually have gone wider than the 265s he threw on there.

rand49er
02-26-09, 04:33 PM
... more than just a couple thou ...Sounds just a little too expensive, IMHO ... by an order of magnitude.

tweeter81
02-26-09, 07:19 PM
must be the downforce from the portholes...

You are a true poopstick.....hahaha......:shtf:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
02-26-09, 07:47 PM
You are a true poopstick.....hahaha......:shtf:

If you're ever coming through Cheyenne, let me know. Wouldn't mind checking out your car...portholes and all. :)

814V
02-27-09, 03:18 AM
a V has portholes?

tweeter81
02-27-09, 11:16 AM
If you're ever coming through Cheyenne, let me know. Wouldn't mind checking out your car...portholes and all. :)

Actually if my income tax return comes back nicely, I might be scheduling a trip down to a speed shop that I use in Broomfield, CO for some upgrades, so I would be heading right through Cheyenne. I might to doing this toward the end of March, so if you want, PM me your cell number and I will give you a call if I get down that way. I have really missed the car lifestyle/car meets since I moved from the Denver area up to Gillette.

Cheers,
C.J.

deedubb
02-27-09, 11:22 AM
Actually if my income tax return comes back nicely, I might be scheduling a trip down to a speed shop that I use in Broomfield, CO for some upgrades, so I would be heading right through Cheyenne. I might to doing this toward the end of March, so if you want, PM me your cell number and I will give you a call if I get down that way. I have really missed the car lifestyle/car meets since I moved from the Denver area up to Gillette.

Cheers,
C.J.
Yeah, we need another Colorado/Wyoming meet. There are a few new members around here now.

BTW, which speed shop do you use in Broomfield?

tweeter81
02-27-09, 05:41 PM
Yeah, we need another Colorado/Wyoming meet. There are a few new members around here now.

BTW, which speed shop do you use in Broomfield?

Dragon Race Engineering. I had them install my headers, tune, and new plugs and wires and they seemed very professional and I had a good experience with them. There prices seem a little high, but I would rather pay a little more and not have to worry about the quality of the work.

There website is www.dragonrace.com.

thebigjimsho
02-28-09, 12:47 AM
a V has portholes?
unfortunately...

814V
03-04-09, 01:25 PM
unfortunately...

are you for reals? i need to see a pic of this nonsense

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 05:12 PM
it's in tweeter81's avatard. Can't see it there. Just do a search including tweeter81 and portholes...

CTS-Voodoo
03-04-09, 05:32 PM
Give me a couple weeks and NO ONE will ever need to roll rear fenders again. Modded trailing arms coming soon!