: Maybe a Stupid Question.. on the Hard Drive

cmicasa
02-24-09, 09:23 PM
but how many CDs/Songs Will HD Hold?

aceofblitz
02-24-09, 09:28 PM
40GB Hard drive and an average mp3 being 4mb so it's 10,000 songs. But you have to take bitrate and song length into consideration so if you're some sort of audiophile i'd be guessing it drops you down to the 5,000-6,000 range =P

proexpert
02-24-09, 09:52 PM
It's a 40 GB drive. The operating system takes up some of that space. If you have navigation, only 9 GB is available for media files, per page 3-24 of the Navigation guide. That's what the book says, I have no way to verify this information.

tedcmiller
02-25-09, 02:15 PM
I don't know either, but I have put about 10 albums on the hardfile ranging from about 12 to over 20 songs each. I also put on a CD comprised of about 50 MP3s that I made from old 45 RPM records. The CDs include standard CDA files and MP3s. When I ask for the hardfile statistics, it says I have used about 5% of the space. I have the navigation system and, assuming proexpert is correct, I don't know whether the remaining 95% is the space available for music, or navigation and music (I think it is both). I assume that part of the 5% includes the OS (operating system), but I don't know for sure. I have saved a few waypoints but no trips.

wait4me
02-25-09, 02:41 PM
My hard drive was full with about 1533 songs.

readyact
02-25-09, 05:12 PM
While the HD will hold quite a bit of music I found it best as stated in other post just to use an USB stick/thumb drive and stream the music from the device and leave the HD space for future upgrades. I also have an iPod which I hook up most of the time so I have loaded very little (about 1 CD) to the HD. But to each his own, it's great having so many choices when it comes to playing music on the Nav system and not having to carry around all those CDs.

tedcmiller
02-25-09, 08:34 PM
I have seen several references to a 9 GB limit on the HDD for media files in this forum. But, I have not been able to find any confirmation of this in any of the literature provided with my car (a 2009 CTS-V). For example, in this thread proexpert indicates this information is on "page 3-24 of the Navigation guide." The only documentation I have devoted to navigation on this car is the CTS/CTS-V Navigation System book. There is no reference to any HDD limits on this page in my book. Perhaps proexpert is referring to different book, or a different version of the same book. Clarification of this issue would be greatly appreciated. Until some written confirmation of the 9 GB limit is provided, I am going to assume that it doesn't exist. This would mean that the 40 GB HDD is used as needed by the system with no particular amounts of HDD space allocated for media or navigation files.

jvp
02-25-09, 09:42 PM
This would mean that the 40 GB HDD is used as needed by the system with no particular amounts of HDD space allocated for media or navigation files.

Every bit of marketing material for the CTS (as well as the V) indicates that it's a 30/10 split if the vehicle is equipped with the Nav system. Go to your friendly neighborhood Caddy dealer and snag the 2009 CTS book. It's mentioned in there.

Or here:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/landing.jsp?model=cts&year=2009

Look at the "Available 40GB Internal Hard Drive #"

..and when you find the # section at the bottom of the page, it reads:

"# With optional navigation system, approx. 10GB available for music storage."

jas

tedcmiller
02-25-09, 09:45 PM
I finally found a reference to a 9 GB limit for media files on the HDD. It is in the CTS/CTS-V Navigation System book on page 3-22 not 3-24 (at least in my copy). The item referred to by jpv on the Cadillac web site mentions a 10 GB (rather than 9). Whether it is 9 GB or 10GB, that is a lot of music (much more than 6 CDs).

JFJr
02-25-09, 09:49 PM
While the HD will hold quite a bit of music I found it best as stated in other post just to use an USB stick/thumb drive and stream the music from the device and leave the HD space for future upgrades. I also have an iPod which I hook up most of the time so I have loaded very little (about 1 CD) to the HD. But to each his own, it's great having so many choices when it comes to playing music on the Nav system and not having to carry around all those CDs.

I originally thought that I would download my favorite music (2 gigs) to the HDD, but since I use my navigation system extensively in my business, and will save a lot of destinations to my address book, I thought that using my thumb drive for music made more sense, thereby freeing the HDD for nav upgrades and a large address book. I also hook up my iPod from time to time, and agree with you that we have a lot of great options. Thanks, GM!

tedcmiller
02-25-09, 09:58 PM
It should be mentioned that if you have XM radio, the usefulness of the CD player and the HDD (or USB input) is greatly reduced. In fact my wife doesn't like any of the stuff I have on my HDD and switches the sound system to XM as soon as she gets in the car.

cmicasa
02-25-09, 10:01 PM
Damn.. I appreciate all the feedback. I loaded so far about 7 CDs and 500 Songs but also liked the idea of using the Thumb Drive... I have a 2Gig Thumb Drive but I may just buy a larger one for this purpose.

My ZUNE has been relegated to my G6, Tahoe and Vette... via Wireless/FM Transmitter. This car simply does not need it.:thumbsup:

aceofblitz
02-25-09, 10:24 PM
Thumb Drives prices are so low nowadays.. 8GB thumb drives cost so little. I always wanted a Zune they don't sell them around here because people around here think iPods are one of a kind, no other MP3 players haha

proexpert
02-25-09, 10:31 PM
My reference was for the 2008 CTS, sorry for the confusion.

See this link:
http://www.cadquest.com/pictures/cts/2008 CTS Navigation Manual - pg3-24.pdf

proexpert
02-25-09, 10:36 PM
Did you know you can record from XM to the hard drive?

darjae
02-25-09, 10:39 PM

As far as I know, that's only for 1 hour and it's not saved after that. It's only used for the timeshift.

cmicasa
02-25-09, 11:54 PM
It should be mentioned that if you have XM radio, the usefulness of the CD player and the HDD (or USB input) is greatly reduced. In fact my wife doesn't like any of the stuff I have on my HDD and switches the sound system to XM as soon as she gets in the car.

What's ironic is that I am getting ready to kill the XM signal in my Vette since I don't drive it as often... and when I do.. I always have the CDs spinning. Now that I have the ZUNE... (considering doing a HARD WIRE using the XM module) I simply don't need it.

In my Tahoe I will keep it and the V I may as well but I very seldom listen to XM music stations. I'm ususally tuned into the news/Finances in the morning... and Comedy 150/153/154 the rest of the time.:histeric:

Tedboss1
12-01-09, 11:01 AM

How do you reccord from XM to HDD?

tedcmiller
12-02-09, 12:06 AM
As darjae says, you can only record from the radio to the HDD for time shifting. There is no permanent storage. Permanent storage on the HDD only occurs when going from a CD to the HDD.