: Check coolant error, ice possible

wraunch
02-24-09, 10:15 AM
Ok, I bought a used 04 SRX with 57k on it a few weeks ago. Over the weekend I got the following error:
Check Coolant
Later while driving I got, Ice Possible displayed on the screen.

I checked the coolant and the tank is half full when cold. What should I do?

Other than this issue I am loving my 04 SRX!!!

GMJim
02-24-09, 11:08 AM
Welcome wraunch,
Just make sure your reservoir is at the full line. Sometimes it will take only a quarter inch.

Your vehicle will tell you "Ice Possible" when it is 36 degrees or less.

Enjoy

wraunch
02-24-09, 11:13 AM
Thanks. I kinda thought that. So if it's more than half full that's enough right?

Paulie Walnuts
02-24-09, 11:26 AM
same advice - i add very little coolant once every 6 months or so - I get the same message.

sgilbert
02-24-09, 03:19 PM
Fill to slightly OVER the full mark. Mine does the same thing; very sensitive!

wraunch
02-24-09, 03:24 PM
SGilbert,
Can you email me any manuals/guides you have for the 04 SRX?

sgilbert
02-24-09, 04:08 PM
SGilbert,
Can you email me any manuals/guides you have for the 04 SRX?

Sure, but I'll need an address. There is NONE in your profile.

Edit: Found your address on another post.

Sent

louisn
02-24-09, 05:27 PM
Thanks. I kinda thought that. So if it's more than half full that's enough right?
My warning light came on when the reservoir was half full.. I topped it off and the light has not reappeared.Easy FIX!

wraunch
02-25-09, 03:54 PM
can I just add water or do I need to go get some dexcool? Should I fill it all the way up?

sgilbert
02-25-09, 08:41 PM
ONLY DexCool! 50/50 if that's how you buy it, or straight if that's how you choose to buy it.

DO NOT fill all the way! Just slightly above the "full cold" mark. BTW: ONLY open & fill when it is cold!

wraunch
02-26-09, 09:14 AM
So if it is currently above the full line midway up the tank when it's cold I shouldn't add any. Also, today it is 50 degrees here and I didn't get the message. Every day it's been cold I get the check coolant error. Ideas?

sgilbert
02-26-09, 11:05 AM
If you get the warning with the level above the "full cold" mark, then you have other problems. Likely air in system or faulty sensor.

Unlike most other vehicles, this resovoir is pressurized. Be careful when hot!