: Catera Rear View Mirror ????....

gixxer_751
02-23-09, 12:28 PM
Am I missing something.. i broke the original, buy one off e-bay but cant seem to figure how it goes on :cookoo:.. Am I missing something here, how does it attach to the windshield???and if anyone knows if it's even required to pass inspection in TX....

JRomano
02-23-09, 12:38 PM
yes a rear view mirror is, or at least should be, required for all inspections, its a key safety component

i don't know how it attaches

AHazzardToAll
02-23-09, 01:07 PM
yay gorilla glue!!! if all else fails duct tape. lol, i'd assume it just glues like any other rearview mirror, i'll see if there's anything in the manual when I get home tonight.

gixxer_751
02-23-09, 01:19 PM
glue huh???... all along the top (red), please check

98 Catera
02-23-09, 03:12 PM
Does anyone have better installation / removal instruction on this rear view mirror? I like to take car of things and glueing and duct taping isn't my way of doing things. I have one I need to replace too, the one in my car works but likes to wobble around, so i went out and got a newer one thats tighter and would like to remove / install the new one. Pleae help..

-Mike

AHazzardToAll
02-23-09, 05:59 PM
every car i've run across uses a "special" rear view mirror glue to attach the mirror. the windshield heats and cools and the glue wears out so the mirrors give way eventually. The duct tape was my attempt at a joke, i guess a sad one at that. i also take very good care of my cars (or do my best to) and apologize if i offended you by telling you to use duct tape. I will take a look at the manual tonight when i get home but it will be late. I think the part that would glue would be a piece more like the little black piece in the middle. Take a look and see if there is any residue on any of the parts to give you a clue. That's all the help i can be as of now.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272426.html?page=1
^^^^obviously this may not work perfectly for the cats, but at least you have an idea of what i was saying. I don't think i was making myself perfectly clear. My apologies.

gixxer_751
02-23-09, 06:09 PM
damn.. & ive done the research & aint shite on the internet & im thinking bout trying the mirror glue they have at autozone

AHazzardToAll
02-23-09, 06:20 PM
i'll take a look at the shop manual tonight and see what is says.

98 Catera
02-23-09, 07:48 PM
I didn't think you were serious about the duct tape... I was just wondering if someone knew how to properly install / remove the mirror, but i've seen that you posted that you were gonna look in the manual tonight to find out how. Thanks for the help, this bouncing mirror drives me nuts..

AHazzardToAll
02-23-09, 08:22 PM
it just gets worse in the summer. I had the same issue on my 01 cat, and it's starting on my 99 also.

98 Catera
02-23-09, 10:18 PM
ok, yea i got a nice tight great condition mirror out of a 97. another question i have about the rear view mirror without getting into it too deep is, how does the mirror remember where other people placed the mirror for memory mode? its neat

AHazzardToAll
02-23-09, 11:44 PM
it is neat, same way it remembers everything else I assume. I often wonder if my 99 sport it wired to I could just hook up the memory for the mirrors, but i'm the only person to drive the car so oh well. I just looked in the manual and it seems the normal way to do it. fastner is glued on and that little black thing in the middle clips on to it. it also looks like you might be able to tighten the mirror (which would seem typical) by the inside. in order to release it you "rock" it left to right then slide it down. i'll make scans and post tomm sometime.

JRomano
02-24-09, 10:19 AM
that would be cool, mines all wobbly, i had no idea it was connected to the memory seat

sixty5vdub
02-24-09, 10:31 AM
I had the "wobbly mirror" issue the other day. When I went to move the mirror around with my hand, the mirror actually fell completely off of the windsheild. After trying with no luck to figure out where the set screw was (normally, I have found a set screw is what holds the mirror to the little metal plate glued to the glass), I decided to just line it up to the metal plate on the glass and give it a good tug. It seemed to seat itself back in place, and has not wobbled or fallen off since.

If you have the metal plate still attached to the glass, try just lining the mirror up with it and pulling the mirror up and back. Worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

Anthony

gixxer_751
02-24-09, 12:08 PM
it is neat, same way it remembers everything else I assume. I often wonder if my 99 sport it wired to I could just hook up the memory for the mirrors, but i'm the only person to drive the car so oh well. I just looked in the manual and it seems the normal way to do it. fastner is glued on and that little black thing in the middle clips on to it. it also looks like you might be able to tighten the mirror (which would seem typical) by the inside. in order to release it you "rock" it left to right then slide it down. i'll make scans and post tomm sometime.

ok.. i fingured it out.. pos sold me a mirror with no fastner thats why I couldn't figure how tf to put it on... argggg.. thanks guys

AHazzardToAll
02-26-09, 03:54 PM
hmmm, well apparently my new computer decided to drop a duce on my old scanner and i'm having issues with it. I guess i'll just take picture scans with my camera!!!! sorry it's taking to long to get them up.

98 Catera
02-26-09, 06:48 PM
all good, i still have the one I wanna install. so when you have time i'll do it. I've been working crazy hours anyway. Haven't had time to work on it at all.

AHazzardToAll
03-03-09, 05:34 PM
sorry it took so long to get these up. the pictures went through one camera, 2 computers, and 3 thumb drives and flicker to get here. :o

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3394/3326109105_b59c5030eb_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/3326973484_a7c0ae0045_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/3327000206_4cd7014955_b.jpg

Good Luck!

98 Catera
03-05-09, 10:58 AM
awsome, thank you.

98 Catera
03-07-09, 07:29 PM
This works, try it. Got my new mirror is on because of these posts, thanks guys.

rjbrueck
10-09-10, 12:21 PM
Yes you are missing the base that attaches to the window. Its a cast metal bracket. I am currently trying to replace my mirror after it dropped out of its bracket. It appears that the holding device that is part of the bracket broke and i am having a difficult time finding what i need. Wish i could be more help.