: Adding trunk-mount CD player

Dave S Texas
02-23-09, 08:47 AM
My OEM radio system is a tape-player type, but tapes are a pain. I use an tape-player adapter for a single CD player, but now want a multi-CD player to mount in the trunk. Seems easy enough, but I don't know what to look for, so I'm asking for some advice. My OEM radio system is fine and I do not want to mess with it at all. Recent long road trips has brought this idea back into my mind. Thanks for any advice!

CadillacSTS42005
02-23-09, 05:12 PM
find one with a good ASP (Anti skip protection) as well as MP3 capabilities
just about anyone will be good

CaptainFishpond
02-23-09, 05:54 PM
I got one out of an 00 Firebird and it was a plug and play and works fine. Id check ebay or if I get one into work Ill post back.

CadillacSTS42005
02-23-09, 07:30 PM
1987 there isnt any plug and play solution

CaptainFishpond
02-24-09, 11:26 AM
oops. Sorry about that, I didn't look at what year you were dealing with.

Dave S Texas
02-25-09, 06:18 PM
I bought a 10-disk player from an ebay seller for $86 w/shipping & 1-yr warranty. It's an FM moduation type, so I don't have to deal with the radio. They have 2 more if interested.....

Dave S Texas
03-01-09, 09:33 AM
Re'cd unit Friday. Installation seems simple enough except for getting the control cable from the dash area into the trunk. Not sure exactly where/how this unit should be mounted in the trunk. Oh well, I'll figure something out...

Dave S Texas
03-05-09, 09:34 AM
I thought I'd post the follow-up to this thread:

Most difficult part of the install was getting the rear-seat cushion out/back in. Once I get it out and took out the rear-seat back, I cut a hole in the plastic air-grill for access into the trunk. Installed the changer in a small box I had in the trunk, which is large enough to store the cd 'jackets'. Routed the cable under the door-sill moulding to under the dash. R/R'd the radio for the antenna change, hooked up the wiring and tested the unit. Plays well using the radio controls. Only thing I do not like is: the player controls consist of 2 units. A 'commander' unit which has a lcd screen for info on what's playing and a separate remote to control the player. The lcd unit has a large cable and there is no way to hide that, plus there is no good place on the dash to put it where it's readable yet doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. It has to be used because it has a sensor for the remote unit. For the price and the 2-yr warranty I'm satisfied. Long trips will be better now.