: Lowered the V (pics)- Should have come this way from factory

musclesbmf
02-23-09, 12:51 AM
Well, today was the day to take the stock 4x4, mud bogging look out of the V. With the help of a friend, we replaced the springs and OH MY.... WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Before:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V/HPIMG16sm2.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V/HPIM1017sm.jpg

After:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V/HPIM1021sm.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V/HPIM1022.jpg

Mark

CadV
02-23-09, 12:57 AM
I thought the V2 with 19's left too much space but this looks much better. You didn't drop it too far either. Looks perfect.

musclesbmf
02-23-09, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the props.
The 20's should be ready next month and I will post new pics then.

Mark

thebigjimsho
02-23-09, 01:15 AM
lowered with what? does this kill the life of the shocks?

CSX
02-23-09, 02:16 AM
Same question as above, who makes the springs, how's it affected the ride quality, and do you think it'll have any affect on the MR shocks?

Ketzer
02-23-09, 09:34 AM
It seems like with a little effort, you could modify the linkage on the ride height sensors to adjust for the new ride height. I could post a pic if no one has seen what they look like. It still doesn't cure the shock being slightly compressed but it would take care of the electronic end. :hmm:

LUVMY04V
02-23-09, 09:36 AM
Much better

Kadonny
02-23-09, 09:44 AM
Might be good for you, but the factory look for me is just about perfect. The only thing I would do is maybe lower the back just a hair.

I don't know why, but the 2 lowered Vs I have seen do nothing for me.

whisler151
02-23-09, 10:02 AM
Looks awesome!

ItsJustMyCaddy
02-23-09, 10:22 AM
Looks good. The other ones I have seen are too low. Stock ride height isn't awful though.

thebigjimsho
02-23-09, 10:30 AM
I do prefer a lower stance on the V2, but Golder's is too low to me. This is nice, but I stay concerned on these expensive shock's lives for the long term...

demorgan59
02-23-09, 10:37 AM
Might be good for you, but the factory look for me is just about perfect. The only thing I would do is maybe lower the back just a hair.

The stock V2 is about as perfect as it gets.

NormV
02-23-09, 10:41 AM
I think it might the feminine lines of the 2nd Gen CTS. Body style looks sexy and has nice road precence even in the base model where a 2003 base CTS looks mundain and dated. The V1 with it's lower ground effects all around look better lowered than not.

Norm

Nutz
02-23-09, 10:42 AM
I need direct side views to compare.

Ketzer
02-23-09, 10:59 AM

:yeah:

musclesbmf
02-23-09, 11:22 AM
This is a total experiment with the springs and the shocks... Electronically there are no glitches. These shocks are nothing special. They have metal filaments in them that change the viscosity of the shock fluid to make them stiffer or softer based on feed back. I'm sure the shock life will suffer, but I've never kept a car longer than 2 or 3 years anyways, so I'm not too concerned about that. Any vehicle lowered with springs is going to shorten stock shock life. So with that said, time will tell.
As for ride quality, I think the quality is a little less than stock but I believe that is because the strut is compressed more so the rebound effect is greater. But for me, I will suffer a little bit in the ride department to make up for it in looks. And let me stress, the ride is not bad at all. The ride is good and there is no ill effect to the MRC at this point.
If anybody want to measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well opening for coparison, yesterday 1 hour after install, mine measured 27" up front, and 27 3/8" in the rear. Even on both sides. I expect in the next couple weeks that it will settle another 1/8 - 1/4".

Now for the shocker.... the springs are Eibach for a regular 2008 CTS. Nothing is made for the V. Like I said it's an experiment, so we'll see. I wanted the H&R springs, but they are on a big back order.

And as for the positive and negative comments, cars are a personal expression, so I meant no ill will when I said it should have come this way from the factory. I prefer a lower bulkier stance, and that's what I went for and got.

Thanks guys,
Mark

OldDrummer55
02-23-09, 12:28 PM
And as for the positive and negative comments, cars are a personal expression, so I meant no ill will when I said it should have come this way from the factory. I prefer a lower bulkier stance, and that's what I went for and got.

Thanks guys,
Mark

No ill taken. You are a very reasonable and amicable forum poster... plus I suspect you have really, really BIG MUSCLES!!!! :holycrap:

Razorecko
02-23-09, 12:46 PM
This is a total experiment with the springs and the shocks... Electronically there are no glitches. These shocks are nothing special. They have metal filaments in them that change the viscosity of the shock fluid to make them stiffer or softer based on feed back. I'm sure the shock life will suffer, but I've never kept a car longer than 2 or 3 years anyways, so I'm not too concerned about that. Any vehicle lowered with springs is going to shorten stock shock life. So with that said, time will tell.
As for ride quality, I think the quality is a little less than stock but I believe that is because the strut is compressed more so the rebound effect is greater. But for me, I will suffer a little bit in the ride department to make up for it in looks. And let me stress, the ride is not bad at all. The ride is good and there is no ill effect to the MRC at this point.
If anybody want to measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well opening for coparison, yesterday 1 hour after install, mine measured 27" up front, and 27 3/8" in the rear. Even on both sides. I expect in the next couple weeks that it will settle another 1/8 - 1/4".

Now for the shocker.... the springs are Eibach for a regular 2008 CTS. Nothing is made for the V. Like I said it's an experiment, so we'll see. I wanted the H&R springs, but they are on a big back order.

Thanks guys,
Mark

Hey Mark

Check out one of my threads... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159276-lowering-spring-vehicle-needed-baltimore-md.html Road Magnet makes springs 100x better than eibach...they dont even need to settle :D Maybe you could talk to them and see if they could use your stock springs for research. If not how much do you want for your stock springs $$ ?? . I've had eibach's and like I said they do not compare to the ride quality and research put in by road magnet.

-Adrian

musclesbmf
02-23-09, 01:54 PM
No ill taken. You are a very reasonable and amicable forum poster... plus I suspect you have really, really BIG MUSCLES!!!! :holycrap:

Thanks. I enjoy sharing what "little" I know in hopes that it may help another member. LOL, to your last statement. I do live part of my life in the gym.

Hey Mark

Check out one of my threads... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159276-lowering-spring-vehicle-needed-baltimore-md.html Road Magnet makes springs 100x better than eibach...they dont even need to settle :D Maybe you could talk to them and see if they could use your stock springs for research. If not how much do you want for your stock springs $$ ?? . I've had eibach's and like I said they do not compare to the ride quality and research put in by road magnet.

-Adrian

Adrian, I think I want to keep the stock springs in case I ever need to revert back to them. I would love for some companies to step up and make some springs specific for the V2, but chances are that is not going to happen in this current economy and with so few V2's on the road right now.

Mark

Razorecko
02-23-09, 02:17 PM
It sucks cause i already asked road magnet about making springs and they said they would jump at the chance they just need a donor car/springs. Damn them for being so far away

RapidRob
02-23-09, 08:06 PM
:yeah:

Just gotta say X2 ...

Rob

GMX322V S/C
02-24-09, 12:22 AM
This is a total experiment with the springs and the shocks...the springs are Eibach for a regular 2008 CTS...Hmm, interesting experiment: Eibachs are typically what, 20% stiffer than stock? The V2 is about 10% heavier than the regular CTS but with more of its weight carried by the front suspension... Does it seem like your car oversteers a little more now?

musclesbmf
02-24-09, 11:20 AM
Hmm, interesting experiment: Eibachs are typically what, 20% stiffer than stock? The V2 is about 10% heavier than the regular CTS but with more of its weight carried by the front suspension... Does it seem like your car oversteers a little more now?

It's definitely because of the heavier motor that I got such a nice drop in the front. I've seen a regular CTS lowered with eibachs and it's not as low up front.
The more I drive the car, the more "normal" it feels. The only difference is, as I stated earlier, when hitting a bump you feel it more and I believe there is more rebound from the compressed shocks. Other than that, characteristics feel the same to me at this point.

MYV8ABMR
02-24-09, 11:29 AM
everything else aside, the stance looks perfect! i wish mine sat like that. when you get the wheels put on its going to really set the car off....i hope you got some aggressive offsets to compliment the fender flares on the v2

im so eager to see what our cars look like with a proper drop and an aggressive wheel and tire combo.....go wide or go home :D

synergy408
02-26-09, 02:36 AM
My car is not a V (I couldnt wait) but I too like the Eibachs...will throw in the H&Rs when they finally arrive. The ride is still good and it looks 100X better IMO.

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS1A.jpg

musclesbmf
02-26-09, 10:27 AM
i agree. Your car looks great!!

FreddyG
02-26-09, 01:53 PM
i agree. Your car looks great!!

I second that! His car looks Great and so does yours MuscleBMF!

I would worry more about the shocks if you were taking the car on a road course because of losing some of the wheel travel and shock more than anything else, but for street driving, it should be fine!

It does look Nice though! :cheers:

musclesbmf
02-26-09, 02:30 PM
Thanks Freddy.
I agree with you about tracking vs. street driving. No track time for me, so I should be al good. Thanks for the props.

Mark

FreddyG
02-27-09, 04:20 PM
Thanks Freddy.
I agree with you about tracking vs. street driving. No track time for me, so I should be al good. Thanks for the props.

Mark

You're Welcome! :cheers:

thebigjimsho
02-27-09, 11:52 PM
you're right.

Jahan
03-14-09, 05:10 PM
The reason you are feeling the bumps more is either the increased spring rate or the fact that you are riding on the jounce bumpers, or at least much closer to them. The shocks provide the same level of damping at any ride height, unless the MR dampers are programed specifically to be position sensitive (which is unlikely).

You could try trimming your jounce bumpers a bit.

thebigjimsho
03-16-09, 02:33 PM
jounce bumpers. sounds fun.

Tuan_CTSV
05-06-09, 03:36 PM
Have you had any issues with tire wear?? Camber Issues??
Also did you get your car aligned after you had the springs settle in? If so, did the tech get your car back to factory specs?

Thanks for your time
Tuan

musclesbmf
05-06-09, 04:02 PM
Yes, just had it aligned 1 week ago.
Without alignment, tire wear would be bad, but that's on any lowered car. My fronts ended up at -.5 if I remember correctly and that is at max adjustment.

Mark

Tuan_CTSV
05-06-09, 04:10 PM
So the -.5 was on the camber?? Toe and Caster is ok??

Also did you ever get your 20s put on? I would like to see how that came out. Thanks again

Razorecko
05-06-09, 04:43 PM
Hey BMF how many miles have you put on the springs ? Did they settle alot ? WE NEED MORE PICS !!:drool:

JEM
05-06-09, 05:10 PM
My take any time someone lowers a car like that, or puts bigger-diameter wheels on it, is that what we need isn't pictures, it's comparative lap times with the same (competent) driver at the same track.

Because, with few exceptions, lowering a car like the V is something you do for looks, and you ought to know how much performance you're giving up.

LUVMY04V
05-06-09, 05:21 PM
My take any time someone lowers a car like that, or puts bigger-diameter wheels on it, is that what we need isn't pictures, it's comparative lap times with the same (competent) driver at the same track.

Because, with few exceptions, lowering a car like the V is something you do for looks, and you ought to know how much performance you're giving up.
Pics don't lie opinions do though therefore we needs pics for me ....opinions for a judgment basis .... and timeslips for those who probably should have got a c6 zo6 car if they are that serious about the track

btw lowering the center of gravity shouldn't hurt the car Time wise or at least not that much

Razorecko
05-06-09, 05:31 PM
^ agreed. Especially since these springs have such a minimal drop. What is it like .8 in the front and 1 in the rear ? something very minimal

Mutlu
05-07-09, 01:03 AM
Looks great.

The car look that much more menacing.

Can you take some pics in different angles as well, please. Would love to see more of them.

Shankenfelter CTSV
05-07-09, 04:17 AM
Well since were in experiment phase, and since no coil overs work wth the stock MR setup, I am going to experiment with cutting the stock springs .....to suit well with the 20's arrving next week. I will post pics soon. I have lowered all my cars and the common denominotor pleasing to my eye is a spacing enough to stick one finger..not lower nor higher.

We shall see soon :)

musclesbmf
05-07-09, 08:33 AM
I'm not a racer through the twisties, so if I gave up any time or peformance there, it's no big deal to me. It hasn't affected my straight line performace and that is what I care about most.
The car dropped much for than the .8 and 1.0 advertised by Eibach and I am very pleased with that. I can barely get 1 finger in the front and maybe 1 inthe back between tire and fender. I attribute that to our cars being heavier than regular CTS's.
Someone asked about my wheels, and for the past 2.5 weeks, they are "supposed to be completed". Very frustrating to say the least. When I get them I will definitely post new pics because they should be pretty awesome looking.

Mark

Razorecko
05-07-09, 11:39 AM
Pics ^^ :yup:

Tuan_CTSV
05-07-09, 12:44 PM
^^^ What kind of wheels did you get?? Do you mind telling us what size you went with? (offset, width, etc)

Razorecko
05-15-09, 03:19 PM
Updated pics please :cool: - hows the ride currently ? any bottoming out ? noises/rubbing issues ? inquiring minds want to know

Dave Golder
05-15-09, 03:27 PM
This my new new V-650. Lowered less than my Silver car. This was done using stock springs and the ride is as good as stock.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG_0680.jpg

4gear70
05-15-09, 03:36 PM
Looks great, Dave! That's how I've planed on doing it as well.. using the stock springs.

Razorecko
05-15-09, 04:02 PM
Dave, did you cut them or heat treat the stock springs ??

Dave Golder
05-16-09, 12:28 AM
Dave, did you cut them or heat treat the stock springs ??

Neither machined the front struts to lower mounting and modified rear control arms.

synergy408
05-16-09, 01:38 AM
Looks good...really disappointing that Eibach and H&R aren't making springs for the V.

Razorecko
05-16-09, 10:25 AM
I have a company that would love to do it but they're in cali and they need a test car....If i would i could. They're called road magnet springs , i've had them on my jeep srt8 and they were awesome ! . They do alot of springs for lexus

stevenash71
06-24-09, 01:54 AM
what company makes these springs? looks great man. good work

stevenash71
06-24-09, 01:57 AM
looks great, beautiful ride, excellent color!!!

musclesbmf
06-24-09, 12:02 PM
More pics this weekend. Just got my 20's deleivered the other day. They look real swwet off the car, we'll see how they look on the car. As for an update on the ride, I still like it. Factory ride is still the best, but I wouldn't trade the look for a "smoother" ride. I will hopefully have pics up by Saturday.

Mark

sdflattop
02-19-10, 01:02 PM
looks awesome...that's what i want...can't stand that gap...i don't get american car companies...their stuff in europe is so much cleaner