: Wind Noise From Window

Caddy Man
02-22-09, 11:04 PM
I have noticed the rear passenger side window/door has a lot of wind noise coming from it. It is not a wind buffeting sound, but just a constant whooshing of air that starts around 55-60 mph. It makes driving on the freeway so irritating as I can hear it out of my right ear the entire time. The rest of the car is considerably quiet, with normal wind noise everywhere else.

I had them replace the weather stripping and they ''re-aligned'' the door, whatever that means, but the sound is still there. I tried today, while my brother drove, to pull and press against the glass, the door, and the framing around the glass to see if it had any effect and it did not.

Has anyone else had this problem and were able to correct it?

I am starting to wonder if this is just a bad design or what. My 2003 CTS is much quieter inside, kind of makes me mad since it cost 30 thousand less ( price of both cars new).

sburgin
02-23-09, 08:06 AM
it's funny you posted this, because I was getting ready to make a post on the same issue - except in my case, it's with the rear driver's side door.

I'm with you, at highway speeds - it's all I hear in my left ear now that I notice it. :banghead:

dhemrick
02-23-09, 01:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you thought about checking your tires? The reason I ask is that I know my rear tires are getting worn (soon to be replaced), and they are starting to make road noise. The noise they make sounds a lot like wind noise around the back doors, and if I didn't know about the tire wear I might think that's what it is.

You may truly be having wind noise, but I would recommend having your tires checked just to be sure. If they rotate the back tires side to side and the noise follows the tire, then you know it's the tire. If it stays the same, you can at least rule out the tires.

Just a though...

Caddy Man
02-23-09, 09:36 PM
Dhemrick, thanks for the advice. The tires should not be a problem, I just got a new set just about 3 weeks ago. The sound is loud enough that my brother was in the front passenger seat and my sister in the rear passenger seat and they both commented that it sounded like a window was open, without me saying anything.

sburgin, have you taken your car to the dealer for this issue? If so what all have they done about it?

I almost feel like getting an entire new door under warranty because of this issue, lol.

jimbohenson
02-23-09, 11:52 PM
I am having the same issue with my drivers door, does not get any more annoying than that. I am under warranty and my service advisor said to bring it back when it warms up and they will look at it. I bought the car used and cant say if it has been damaged or replaced but I suspect that has something to do with it. I will update on this post after I bring it in.

justgreat
02-27-09, 03:49 PM
there was a segment on two guys garage dealing with this problem. they had two procedures to locate "leaks" in the weather stripping: one entailed using a smoke machine in the car with the blower on high and the smoke would escape where the w/s wasn't making a tight seal. the second involved taking a dollar bill and placing it op top of the weater stripping where you hear the noise and closing the door. if you can pull the bill out with the door closed, then there's problem with that section...the second procedure is simpler but time consuming.

jackg
06 sts6

ruf455
02-27-09, 05:43 PM
not that it is any help, but if it is windy out at all and I am traveling at HHY speeds, my drivers door seal whooooooshes away. I can't wait to try and talk the service guys into fixing that one....

pjbizjak
02-27-09, 07:40 PM
I thought I had a wind leak on my drivers door up by the dash and it turned out to be just the HVAC blowing through the vent.

sburgin
02-27-09, 09:53 PM
Haven't had it in yet...waiting for an oil change coming up here in a week or two to have it looked at then. will post back with what they find (i have to confess i'm not getting my hopes up).

Dhemrick, thanks for the advice. The tires should not be a problem, I just got a new set just about 3 weeks ago. The sound is loud enough that my brother was in the front passenger seat and my sister in the rear passenger seat and they both commented that it sounded like a window was open, without me saying anything.

sburgin, have you taken your car to the dealer for this issue? If so what all have they done about it?

I almost feel like getting an entire new door under warranty because of this issue, lol.

cadinate
02-28-09, 09:02 PM
thats funny i came acrossed this post, i was going to call the cadillac dealership for the excact issue! my 05 sts on the back passanger side door sounds like the window is cracked open at highway speeds! the wind noise is definatly noticable! almost wondering if the bose system was put in to cover the issue up :) let me know if anyone has a difinitave answer, i know the cause of the problems may be diffrent ( though it sounds the same ) but it will give me a place to start. thanks!

Caddy Man
03-01-09, 08:41 AM
Well, as I posted before, I sat in the back seat while my brother drove on the freeway. I tried to push the window and pull the inside of the door around the window to see if I could find the problem area. I could not find anything. Don't know if this would work, but I am going to take electrical tape and tape down random sections of the exterior window/door where body panels meet. This will hopefully help me determine where exactly air is entering.

At the dealership the other day I noticed the 2008 STSs have different weatherstripping on the B pillar post of the rear door. It actually wraps around the edge of the post and you can see it slightly on the outside of the car. I am going to investigate if this is the problem area.

justgreat
03-03-09, 08:53 AM
inspect the door seals closely under bright light; look for any uneven spots or bumps. close the door and closely inspect the gap between the door and the bod; checking for proper alignment. also sight along the side of the car from the rear and check for a flush fitting door to the body. and lastly, as i posted previously, use a dollar bill and put it op top of the door seals and close the door: if you can pull out the bill, you have a problem with that section. take some tape mark that spot and move on to check the rest of the door.

pin pointing the noise on any car is half the battle....

jackg
06 sts6

Caddy Man
03-05-09, 01:05 AM
Well, I tried to seal off all the gaps between the door and the main body of the car with electrical tape as well as where the window meets the door and I did not find any difference at all.

I am kind of stumped considering the wind noise has to be coming from outside and sealing everything would prevent it. I am going to try the dollar bill test next.

bass_sts
03-05-09, 02:54 PM
I had wind noise on the drivers door, ended up that the problem was the mirror. Make sure that is not the case.

jamesbalzer
05-29-09, 01:02 AM
Exact same noise in the right rear door of my 05. All the same noises you guys are talking about. Highway speeds only, sounded like the right rear window was cracked open. Dealership replaced the right rear quarter window and seal (as it is apparently an assembly) and fixed it. They even paid to re-tint the new window.

Slee_Stack
01-22-10, 10:00 AM
and lastly, as i posted previously, use a dollar bill and put it op top of the door seals and close the door: if you can pull out the bill, you have a problem with that section. take some tape mark that spot and move on to check the rest of the door.

pin pointing the noise on any car is half the battle....

jackg
06 sts6

I wanted to add that the dollar bill method is not infallible. I tried it and ALL doors at every point allows a dollar bill to be pulled out reasonably easy.

Trust me, I do NOT have an issue with wind noise everywhere!

I did have a buffeting effect on the driver's door from time to time.

Turned out that the window glass seal (hard rubber) had slipped down about an inch from the inside of the window frame at the top. This resulted in a misalignment to the weatherstripping on the upper door (body) frame.

From the outside of the car, you could actually see where the window frame seal had 'shrunk in and away'. It's very obvious with a white (or light colored) car. Probably not so much with a black car.

I used some weatherstrip adhesive and secured it with zip ties to allow it to dry in place for about an hour.

Now this seal remains in place and the buffeting noise is nearly eliminated.

Severe wind gusts can still create the noise, but I suspect that's unavoidable.

EChas3
01-22-10, 09:55 PM
Our friend that drives his STS on the Autobahn had to have his dealer tilt the dorrs in slightly at the top to eliminate his wind noise above 120 MPH.

I haven't seen him post lately. I hope he's well and enjoying his unlimited 1SH model (or whatever).

jamesbalzer
01-23-10, 01:08 AM
My 05 had it too. Right rear door, same symptoms. Dealer replaced quarter window and seal (under warranty!) and solved the issue. Look back through the forum; this has been a common issue for many and most have solved with the same repair.

AllGoNShow
11-07-10, 01:39 AM
Our friend that drives his STS on the Autobahn had to have his dealer tilt the dorrs in slightly at the top to eliminate his wind noise above 120 MPH.

I haven't seen him post lately. I hope he's well and enjoying his unlimited 1SH model (or whatever).

Anymore from the door tilt guy? I am interested in this, just changes the angle that the wind hits it at?

EChas3
11-08-10, 08:18 PM
No, I think it puts more pressure on the rubber seals at the top front edges. Air behaves in ways you may not expect above 120 MPH.

mike sts
11-08-10, 08:32 PM
had that noise car de compressed at highway speeds it took several trips to the dealer but they finnaly fixed it. they had to adjust the door so it would close tighter to make proper seal, i bet a good bodyshop would be better at fixing this than the dealer, if you use a delaership maybe try one with their own body shop

EChas3
11-08-10, 10:13 PM
^^^^ Same with sunroof issues.