: Rear Brake Rotors - Uneven Wear

marcwsu
02-22-09, 05:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2006 SRX AWD V6. I took apart the car today to change out the brakes and went to have the rotors turned. I was concerned when I took the rear rotors off because there is quite a lip around the edge on the inside of the rotors.

When they spec'd it out, they showed me how uneven the rotor is wearing. I don't remember the exact number but it went from something like 1.025 towards the hub area to 1.005 toward the lip/edge. So it wearing on an angle? These were the factory brakes.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I was not expecting to replace the rotors at 36k. I have read through many of the postings and did not see this mentioned. I did see rapid brake wear mentioned. I was going to ask the dealer about it because it seems like the rear are really working much harder than the fronts since they wore out first. I was also going to have them check the cause of the uneven wear.

I didn't touch the fronts yet but i have a feeling I will be shelling out for new rotors there too.

on a side note, I went to Murray's Discount, AutoZone and Advance Auto and neither one can get me the rear rotor. Advance would order with a 2 week wait for 119 each!

sgilbert
02-22-09, 08:39 PM
Go NAPA! My replacement F&R rotors & pads are NAPA.

King3244
02-23-09, 10:11 PM
Go wwwrockauto.com and I believe that the rear rotors can be turned if they have .95 or better on them....you can check that as well at rock auto.

bigdaddysrx
02-24-09, 12:22 PM
Replace the rotors...well worth the cost. Most uneven wear can be attributed to piston stroke in the caliper. Make sure you clean them well and check that they are not frozen.
regards,
BD

The Wrench
02-25-09, 07:34 PM
Sometimes the pads will get cocked slightly, and hang up in the calipers.
This can cause the uneven wear. Sometimes they can be freed by rolling backwards and hammering the brakes hard. but, too late for yours; be sure to lube the proper contact points when installing the new ones, and try the above procedure occasionally just to be safe.

DG

marcwsu
03-02-09, 11:16 AM
thanks to everyone for the replies... I was able to find them at one of the napa auto parts locations. I found that locally, F&R rotors for this vehicle are not stocked so hopefully not too close in the near future, I will just order them before I tear apart the car.

I did re-lube everything and cleaned all the parts very well... I figured it could of been a number of reasons so hopefully they will be fine from now on.