: Bumper cut-out

dmokry
02-22-09, 12:00 PM
Can one of you fine folks tell me what the little square cut-out on the passenger side of the front bumper is for? I only see this on some models.

c5 rv
02-22-09, 12:32 PM
A tow hook threads in there.

SwissSTS
02-24-09, 01:11 PM
Tow hooks are required for certain export markets. I know that the models for Europe are equipped with 2 tow hooks. I had to borrow them from a dealer for my US-spec STS for the emmission certification. I was required to deliver the car with tow hooks in the front and in the back so that they were able to tie down the car on the roller test bench. The tow hooks are part of the the "export parts package", RPO BAG.

EChas3
02-26-09, 09:36 PM
Do they just pop out? Good idea when transporting an STS?

SwissSTS
03-02-09, 04:38 AM
Yes they just pop-out, I used a small srewdriver along with a thin towel to protect the paint. If I remember correctly, the one in the front should be opend from the right side, the one in the back from the bottom. When I had my car on a trailer we attached the lashing straps to the suspension frame.

DerekB
12-18-13, 01:54 PM
It's also a handy place to screw in a front license plate bracket if you're unlucky to live in a state that requires front plates that destroy the look of the vehicle.

targetSTS
12-18-13, 03:40 PM
I have a tow hook for STS
never know what can happen))

ddalder
12-18-13, 03:45 PM
I bought one "just in case". The part number is 10367821 in case anyone is interested. US retail is about $78.00 but should be less expensive from Rippy.

1BadCadSTS
12-18-13, 04:10 PM
Gen 1 SRX had them standard. I took one from a junk yard for mine.

dkozloski
12-18-13, 07:21 PM
My experience with the square plugs has not been good. The one in the rear bumper of my CTS kept falling out because pea gravel was getting thrown in behind it by the rear tires and it was getting lodged where it would pry the plug out. It had a leash on it but it finally broke and the plug was lost, thankfully under warranty. It cost about $100 for a replacement because it came unpainted and it had to be painted with tri-coat red paint. After that it never fit right so I finally glued it in solid with ABS pipe cement.