: Fuel Injectors Revisited

darien99
02-22-09, 02:25 AM
Ok, I found lots of random info in here about our fuel injectors, just want to wrap it all up/varify in here.

1. Our injectors are rated at 23.5 lb/hr?

2. We have 2 orifices instead of 4 (Atleast thats how my '95 is)

3. The 2 orifices are for the design of the manifold?

4. So this would mean going to a 4 orifice LT1 injector isn't really the best thing for the northstar?

Want to add: I tried L98 injectors, and that is definitely a no-no. :eek:

Submariner409
02-22-09, 12:58 PM
Several different injector tip patterns, seal methods, and ratings for different Northstars over the production run. Early, mid-90's, 00 +. Best to check either the GM shop manual, Alldatadiy, or RockAuto for the part number/application.

As you discovered, it's not a "one size fits all" proposition.

darien99
02-22-09, 05:15 PM
I happen to have '95 shop manual(s) handy and there's no info on the lb/hr rating. Reason I'm intereted is because I have 3 leaking and wanted to throw LT1 or Ford Cobra injectors in.
So you're saying some northstar have more than 2 orifices? This may be good news.lol

Raze
02-25-09, 02:15 PM
I happen to have '95 shop manual(s) handy and there's no info on the lb/hr rating. Reason I'm intereted is because I have 3 leaking and wanted to throw LT1 or Ford Cobra injectors in.
So you're saying some northstar have more than 2 orifices? This may be good news.lol

Or to save yourself the pain of adapting parts that my not be compatible, go the the junkyard and pull a set of injectors, they're usually $5 each, I'm sure you could find 3 that were in good working order for pretty cheap...

Submariner409
02-25-09, 04:13 PM
As Raze said, lay in a batch of junkyard injectors from the same year/engine. Neither the GM manual nor alldata lists injector flow rates. You might find that spec by doing some research into who made the OEM injectors and what the company specs are for those, or find replacement injectors, find the company, and go from there.

:sneaky: I'll bet someplace like chrfab or hennessey would know :D

darien99
02-25-09, 11:32 PM
Or to save yourself the pain of adapting parts that my not be compatible, go the the junkyard and pull a set of injectors, they're usually $5 each, I'm sure you could find 3 that were in good working order for pretty cheap...
Your junkyard is a lot better to you than mine is. Mine will only sell the motor as a whole. It's probably true I could find atleast 3 good ones out of the 8. But the thought of reusing 14+ year old fuel injectors is just asking for more problems shortly down the road, in my opinion anyway. I'd like to just throw a new set of accels or something in and not worry about 'em for the rest of the life of the car.:cool:

Raze
02-26-09, 08:47 AM
Have yours blueprinted and flowmatched, i.e. rebuilt, next best thing, more $$$ but you'd know they were good.

Darien, are you seriously in Alpena, SD? I took a look on Google Maps, it's like there's nothing but you and wilderness for 50 miles, that might be part of your problem. Check other towns within 100 miles, someone will sell you used injectors if that's the case...

darien99
02-27-09, 03:09 PM
I'm actually in Alpena, MI...not sure why it says SD, I should probably fix that. :lol:

Still basically no yards around here either.
My EBCM just shorted and fried (harness plug melted) for the 2nd time I've owned this car so now my priorities moved toward a new ebcm and harness. Maybe I'll mess with injectors later this summer.