: Squealling at 50mph

csbuckn
02-22-09, 12:04 AM
my friends 88 brhm has a sound that only happens from 40-60mph. The noise sounds like a squealling in the engine compartment. Dont know exactly where it comes from but it doesnt seem to be drawing any real power. It doesnt make any noise when I rev it up in nuetral. What do you think?

sven914
02-22-09, 02:14 AM
Check the belts. See if they're worn, cracked, or stretched. If you can twist the belt 180 degrees, it is too loose.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-22-09, 12:47 PM
Odd, typically belt noise happens at lower speeds. For it to start at 40 and stop at 60 seems a little weird.

I have some belts that no matter how tight i get them, they will always squeal when it's cold out. The noise won't go away until the car warms up, or until I get up to speed.

My_favorite_Brougham
02-22-09, 05:37 PM
In the days before my speedometer cable broke, it made a high-pitch squeal from within the dash/firewall area. Do you know if it's a belt for sure?

csbuckn
02-22-09, 09:12 PM
He doesnt know what it is for sure but he doesnt think its a belt. It only happens sometimes. I dont think its a belt either because when it was -20 degrees, it ran without any noises but its 25-30 degrees above zero and its making this noise.

sven914
02-22-09, 10:26 PM
I have some belts that no matter how tight i get them, they will always squeal when it's cold out. The noise won't go away until the car warms up, or until I get up to speed.

That happens with mine to; I think it's the power steering belt.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-26-09, 04:16 PM
It's a bitch, ain't it? I got most of mine pretty tight, but I think the one squealing is the AC belt. It's hard to tighten since you basically have to dismount the entire compressor and attempt to move it outward. Mine won't budge an inch anymore, every time I try to tighten it, I only seem to make it looser. What a dumb design.