: E-bay Brake lines

mlj427
02-21-09, 10:05 PM
On ebay they have brake lines kits that come predouble flared with fittings and couplers. Its $45 but they say you can bend them by hand no tools needed. Has anyone used them? I have rust on the outside of my lines and know its coming.
Thanks
Mike

sven914
02-21-09, 11:09 PM
Could put the link to the auction your considering? The only brake lines I was able to find were for a Cimarron.

mlj427
02-22-09, 12:54 AM
Sorry about that. Hopefully this will work. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260351637892&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

sven914
02-22-09, 02:04 AM
They look they they're worth a try. I'm a little skeptically of them being able to be bent by hand, but the ends are for GM cars. If you cant bend them by hand, you can get a hand tool (http://www.classicchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=49-38&dept_id=1095&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Car+Care+%26+Tools+-+Specialty+Tools+-+ALL-_-49-38-_-X) that will bend them, or if you have a table vise and a length of pipe, you can use that.

cadillac_al
02-22-09, 12:55 PM
I haven't priced brake lines lately, but that is just a bunch of brake lines I could buy at the parts store and bend myself. Brake line is usually pretty cheap but I'm not sure if it's that cheap; 28 lines for $60 delivered might be a good deal anyway. I always get out my tubing benders when making brake lines but I usually end up bending 90% of it by hand anyway. Bending brake line is an art form and I usually don't have time for that. Brake lines can have surface rust for years before they fail and I usually wait for that failure before I mess with the brake system. 83 is pretty old and failure should be pretty close so it probably is a good idea to replace them sometime soon. Just for fun you could call a parts store and ask what they charge for 3/16 brake line in 30", 40" lengths etc. Usually the brake lines up front under the hood and crossmember don't rust so bad and I usually end up just replacing rear lines; which is usually a couple 40" pieces and a couple 30's and a couple couplers. I will probably price these sets out myself next time I do a brake job to see if they are cheaper than buying local. (that didn't sound too good so maybe not)

MaineWater
02-22-09, 10:53 PM
I actually need to replace my lines and I am going to try these out. I will let you know how it goes.

sven914
02-23-09, 10:58 AM
When you buy brake lines from a parts store, do they come flared? I've flared, cut, and bent brake lines, but I've never bought them.

jayoldschool
02-23-09, 11:17 AM
These are regular parts you can buy at any store. When I walk into my parts place, there is a display of lines. Different diameters, lengths, flares (ISO/double), etc. Just measure what you need, go to your parts place and match. Most bends can be done by hand, but a tubing bender is a nice tool to have.

mlj427
02-24-09, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. MaineWater Please let me know how it goes.
Thanks
Mike

MaineWater
03-08-09, 11:52 PM
I just finished installing them, they are just like any old line from an auto store. They were easy to install, had a couple leaks at the couplers but i tighten it and it went away. At least i saved the hassle of waiting in line and getting the parts, plus i have extra line left over:thumbsup:
I have a few questions, but will start a new thread for that.