: Steering squeal when turning...

Caddy Man
02-21-09, 09:17 PM
Hi guys.

Not long ago, I had the rack and power steering pump replaced in my car. Ever since then when I turn the wheel to the extreme left or right the car sqeals. Sometimes the squeal only last for a second or two and then goes away. When I turn the wheel even slightly away from a lock positionand then turn it back, the squeal is gone. The dealer said its normal, but the previous 3 cars ive had have never done this. i am going to take it to another dealer. Have any of you had this problem or know why it might be occuring?

EChas3
02-23-09, 12:51 PM
You've got classic symptoms of a slipping belt. I'd guess the noise ocurrs when the pump is working hardest. If you've replace the belt and the fluid's good, I'd still suspect a slipping belt and check the tensioner and/or validate that the pump isn't slowing down when it sqeals.

I haven't needed to look under the engine covers yet so I don't where the belt path & associated components are located. If the tensioner is bad, it can damage a new belt. :(

Caddy Man
02-23-09, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. This is what I am suspecting. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what happens.