: 1997 cadillac catrea timing belt

still_walkin
02-21-09, 07:34 PM
my brother was thinking of purchasing a 97 cadillac catera 150,748 miles and the seller wants 850 for it the only problem with it was the strut top mount where it bolt to the frame had a little rust but the main problem was the car needed a new timing belt. how hard is this to change . i also noticed that the plastic housing that has the timing belt had a crack on it. also the sepertine belt was in front of the housing that needs to to be removed does that belt have to be removed to get to the timing belt

JRomano
02-21-09, 11:18 PM
does it run? or is the timing belt broken, and that's why it needs it?

if it runs and the timing belt is just due for a change thats fine, get it and change the belt/tensioners
if the timing belt broke and that's why it needs to be changed, then run, don't walk, away from the car, it needs serious engine work or a new engine to work again.

still_walkin
02-22-09, 01:41 AM
so your saying fix the timing belt and adjust the the tensioniors and if it breaks again then it need new engine

lakesidepark
02-22-09, 08:18 PM
if the timing belt is broken...the engine is very likely to be severely damaged.

still_walkin
02-22-09, 08:55 PM
so pretty much the car is useless. is the surrounding parts broke or its just overall bad

dkinder
02-23-09, 01:18 AM
You aren't giving us enough information to answer your question. Does the car currently run okay but the seller is just telling you that it is due to have the timing belt changed or does the car not run at all (or run very poorly with misfires or loud engine ticking)? Give us some more information about the car. The timing belt cover being cracked really isn't a big issue, it is just that, a cover. However, it is vital to know if the car is currently running properly or if the timing belt has already broken or slipped significantly.

still_walkin
02-23-09, 01:43 AM
basically all the seller told us was the timing belt keeps coming off and needs to be fixed. they didnt say anything bout a ticking or knocking.

dkinder
02-23-09, 02:00 AM
I would have to say run as has already been said. There is no "timing belt keeps coming off" with these engines. It is an interference engine, so if it comes off, the engine is toast 99.9% of the time. Unless you're prepared to replace or rebuild the engine, look elsewhere.

still_walkin
02-23-09, 02:08 AM
thanks guys saved my bro a caddy nightmare