: New SRX and CTS Wagon at Dallas show

The Wrench
02-21-09, 03:45 PM
Saw them both up close at the Dallas show.

The SRX was on a raised turntable, so couldn't touch and feel.
Maybe it was just due to looking up at it, but the front seemed huge and bulky, and out of place with the small, almost delicate look of the rear end.
Overall it also appeared to have a greatly overdone "forward rake" giving the impression that the big front was dragging the ground, and the rear end was sticking way up in the air. But, much less truck-like than the current SRX.
Overall opinion: lots of styling cues that don't blend together too well.

The CTS wagon was on the floor, so we could get in/around close.
This is one beautiful car, looks much better than the photos.
The rear end really pops.
Overall opinion: I want one!

Cheers,
DG

TTopJohn
02-22-09, 12:23 PM
Nice, I'm headed over there today. I suspect the new SRX will be a good thing for GM in that it will appeal to more people and sell in greater numbers. The folks who buy Acura MDXs and Lexus RX350s will probably like it better, and won't know or care that it lacks the RWD based performance oriented chassis. But for a car nut like me, the original SRX is where it's at.

Now the CTS wagon, that's right up my alley. Cannot wait to poke around that one! I love how the taillamps evoke the rear treatment of the Cadillac Cien and the original Eldorado.

It may just be the perfect car for people who really do lead that stereotypical "active lifestyle" with bikes and kayaks and what not - after all it's a lot easier to get a kayak on the roof of a wagon than on the roof of an SUV.

concorso
02-23-09, 02:36 AM
I know the CTS wagon may not have the V8 the SRX had, or the the added height...but I bet it drives better! Ill bet the storage ends up being fairly similar, as well.
I really believe Cadillac is smart for splitting the 2 SRX identities into 2 focused models....
I also think if Cadillac doesn't offer magnaride on both models, theyre freaking crazy.... That suspension should be optional on all Cadillacs... Even the big STS feels extremely comfortable with this suspension. But when you go over a crest, this suspension really stops the car from floating, or lifting, or wallowing, not sure the word for this situation... Anyhow, the steadiness this suspension offers should be availbale to all caddy owners...

jdavis
02-23-09, 05:12 AM
I haven't seen either in person but, the CTS looks to be the clear winner of the two by the photos I have seen.
With Saab declaring bankruptcy I have to wonder what the fate of the SRX will be in that it is based on a Saab platform. Not to mention what the fate of the Cadillac marque will be with GM suffering.

TTopJohn
02-23-09, 10:30 AM
Saab going away should have no impact on the SRX. It's not so much that it is based on a Saab platform, rather the GM global platform that it is based on was developed in concert with Saab as it is/was to be used on a future Saab. A lower cost version of this platform will be used on the next Chevrolet Equinox.

This is similar to the way the Saab 9-3 is based on GM global architecture shared to a certain extent with the Saturn Aura and the Chevrolet Malibu.

Bee iLL
02-23-09, 03:14 PM
Saw both at the Chicago auto show. To each their own, but I would take the new SRX over the old one and over the new CTS wagon, any day. I always hated that the SRX looked like a minivan without the sliding door, which is why I bought a grande cherokee limited instead. The new one reminds me more of a SUV type car and I actually really like its agressive look. Your responses about liking the station wagon confirms what I always thought, people who bought the SRX are minivan/station wagon lovers. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead ever driving a station wagon or minivan. Again, to each their own.

The Wrench
02-23-09, 06:50 PM
Young Mr BeeiL, when I was 25 I wouldn't be caught dead even looking at any of these cars; so maybe you're closer to the minivan/wagon stage than you think?

DG

TTopJohn
02-23-09, 07:03 PM
Bee iLL,

I don't think it's accurate to lump minivans with station wagons. Minivans and station wagons are two very different types of vehicles that attract distinct groups of fans.

I have a thing for station wagons but would never buy a mini van. Think E34M5 Touring, Audi S4 and S6 Avant, E55 Wagon, and now of course CTS Wagon.

So yes, I do like that the original SRX is basically a CTS/STS wagon as far as the way it drives, but I don't think it looks at all like a minivan.

I do think the new SRX will be a better seller, as it more closely tracks what appeals to people about the better selling entries in the segment, and it still has distinctive Cadillac looks. It just won't appeal to me as much.

Funny you mention a GC, we dumped a Grand Cherokee to get our SRX.

c5 rv
02-23-09, 07:12 PM
I've never considered my SRX to be anything like a minivan. (I've owned two, a Caravan and an Aerostar.) But my adult children (who misbehaved in said minivans) think the SRX looks like a minivan.

GMJim
02-24-09, 05:25 PM
Hey B
Your dad called, he wants his car back.

Bee iLL
02-24-09, 08:25 PM
Young Mr BeeiL, when I was 25 I wouldn't be caught dead even looking at any of these cars; so maybe you're closer to the minivan/wagon stage than you think?

DG

That is probably because when you were 25 (don't know your age, so guessing), cadillac was thought of as an "old man's car". Cadillac no longer is thought of that way. In fact, I think I see more 20 something year olds driving cts's than anyone else. Minivan or wagon? You'll never see me driving one, even when I'm 90.

Bee iLL,

I don't think it's accurate to lump minivans with station wagons. Minivans and station wagons are two very different types of vehicles that attract distinct groups of fans.

I have a thing for station wagons but would never buy a mini van. Think E34M5 Touring, Audi S4 and S6 Avant, E55 Wagon, and now of course CTS Wagon.

So yes, I do like that the original SRX is basically a CTS/STS wagon as far as the way it drives, but I don't think it looks at all like a minivan.

I do think the new SRX will be a better seller, as it more closely tracks what appeals to people about the better selling entries in the segment, and it still has distinctive Cadillac looks. It just won't appeal to me as much.

Funny you mention a GC, we dumped a Grand Cherokee to get our SRX.

You are correct I shouldn't group the two together, however when I'm stuck behind some yoo-hoo going under the speed limit or going slow in the fast lane, its usually either a station wagon or minivan. So I tend to view them as the same type of drivers. By the way, for someone who would never buy a minivan, take a look at your SRX from the back... Looks awfully "minivanish" to me....

Hey B
Your dad called, he wants his car back.

My dad would love to have my car, but unlike me, he never invested the money he earned, so he never hit it big. Just lived check to check like most people. I realized at a young age I wasn't going to settle for that.. Good thing I cut my losses and pulled out before the big crash! suckers! By the way, soccer mom called and wants her minivan back.

GMJim
02-24-09, 08:29 PM
Your the man.
Now go back to STSville

King3244
02-26-09, 12:51 AM
All shots aside....what I want to know is if the new smaller srx and cts will still have comfortable seats? It seems as soon as they make something smaller that they make them more uncomfortable.....no?

TTopJohn
02-26-09, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about comfort, based on the CTS sedan. Great seats there, should be no different in wagon form. And I don't see anything about the size reduction on the SRX that makes me concerned about comfort there.

One reply to Bee iLL - wow, when you get stuck behind someone slow in the left lane, it's usually a station wagon? Where are you driving with enough wagons to be a problem, 1982?

Bee iLL
02-26-09, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about comfort, based on the CTS sedan. Great seats there, should be no different in wagon form. And I don't see anything about the size reduction on the SRX that makes me concerned about comfort there.

One reply to Bee iLL - wow, when you get stuck behind someone slow in the left lane, it's usually a station wagon? Where are you driving with enough wagons to be a problem, 1982?

I said wagon or minivan. Mostly minivans, but station wagons also. Don't know if its just my route to work, but I bet you I pass at least a dozen wagons a day. Sorry for hurting everyones feelings by expressing my opinion, but as I said before, to each their own. I just don't think the previous comments about the CTS Wagon looking good and the SRX not looking good were correct. In fact, I think the complete opposite. The CTS Wagon looks ugly, while the new SRX shines. It looks more like a Caddy SUV should than the current generation of SRX's.

GMJim
02-26-09, 08:13 PM
I just can't seem to get past the rear side windows for some reason.

concorso
03-01-09, 07:15 PM
Saw both at the Chicago auto show. To each their own, but I would take the new SRX over the old one and over the new CTS wagon, any day. I always hated that the SRX looked like a minivan without the sliding door, which is why I bought a grande cherokee limited instead. The new one reminds me more of a SUV type car and I actually really like its agressive look. Your responses about liking the station wagon confirms what I always thought, people who bought the SRX are minivan/station wagon lovers. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead ever driving a station wagon or minivan. Again, to each their own.Curious, how can something remind you of an SUV car. Isnt that an oxymoron? Anyhow, the CTS is not a station wagon, a sport wagon. IE, itll be a great driver. You only need look as far as the E63 Estate or the M5 Touring or the RS6 Avant to see that 'station wagons' can be very aggressive, more then an SUV can be.

Dont confuse old 80's station wagons with new sport wagons. If anything, SUV's are closer to vans than most of the new wagons. Hell, the SRX is going to be fwd in 2wd mode. Real aggressive. :)