: Chicago Meet in August!!

CadillacGurl
02-21-09, 03:14 PM
Alright people, let's plan this thing! Pick a weekend in August in the poll and we'll go from there!

90Brougham350
02-21-09, 03:43 PM
Either weekend is fine by me, but I'd much prefer a spring / early summer meet. But I'm not organizing this, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-09, 04:29 PM
I'm game for either weekend. :)

JimmyH
02-21-09, 04:30 PM
Either one for me. Everyone weigh in, I will contact Great Lakes Dragway.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-21-09, 05:22 PM
I too would prefer a late spring/early summer meet but I am game for anything. I have a feeling that dragging the new Brougham will be similar to the van (slow and retarded looking) and me against Chad's S class will be the worst drag race in history. :)

Rodya234
02-21-09, 07:25 PM
I'm down for either weekend as well. Gives me plenty of time to get my car dialed in. Maybe even put something...extra on it. :shhh: My family is planning to take a vacation in July (my only month off for summer), so that will get the 1000 miles I need to break in the trans after it's rebuilt, and we'll be ready to hit the strip. :D

gdwriter
02-21-09, 07:30 PM
I voted for the later weekend, but can do either one. Count me in.

I'll likely have to fly, since it would be five days driving each way. I don't think I'll have enough vacation time to do it since my sister just texted me that she's booked the timeshare in Hawaii for December 20-27. So if it's a choice between driving to Chicago or Hawaii, Hawaii wins. But I will come out. I've had a great time at every single meet.

Jesda
02-22-09, 05:04 AM
If we spend just one moment in the city I'm slashing all your tires.

96Fleetwood
02-22-09, 09:09 AM
Either works for me right now. The Woodward Dream Cruise starts the 15th, and that is all I had planned for the Fleetwood in August.

CadillacSTS42005
02-22-09, 10:56 AM
I voted for the later weekend, but can do either one. Count me in.

I'll likely have to fly, since it would be five days driving each way. I don't think I'll have enough vacation time to do it since my sister just texted me that she's booked the timeshare in Hawaii for December 20-27. So if it's a choice between driving to Chicago or Hawaii, Hawaii wins. But I will come out. I've had a great time at every single meet.

Just curious...
how does one drive to an island?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-09, 11:44 AM

Ok, taking that into consideration, the meet will now take place in a corn field in Western Indiana.

HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY JESDA!

CadillacGurl
02-22-09, 12:09 PM
:rofl: No Indiana please!!!

gdwriter
02-22-09, 12:13 PM
Just curious...
how does one drive to an island?One doesn't. However, I have two weeks of vacation, and I would eat up most or all of that driving from Oregon to Chicago. So I need to conserve my vacation days so I'll have enough for my week in Hawaii.

I do get a certain number of "personal" days, plus some of the days I'd be in Hawaii are holiday, so I don't have to take a full week of vacation time for that trip.

JimmyH
02-22-09, 12:14 PM

:yeah:

gdwriter
02-22-09, 01:45 PM
I'd like to visit the Museum of Science and Industry at some point because that place is just too freakin' cool (and the last time I was there was in 1997). But otherwise, I don't need to go into the city.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-22-09, 08:28 PM
^ You should see the new train layout they have there. It is amazingly huge. Its called the great train story and it is about taking a train trip from Chicago to Seattle. In the layout the city of Chicago actually has a 10 ft. replica of the Sears Tower. Other than that, no more city for me either. And no going to any bars because no drunk Chads are riding in my car.

You know what would also be really cool, a Segway tour of the city. I did one about 3 years ago and had a blast. Its not cheap but we may be able to get a group rate. Three hours on a Segway with Jesda would be rather interesting. http://citysegwaytours.com/chicago

For a weekend like this would you all be able to arrive on Friday and leave on Monday or very late on Sunday? It would work out better than having to pick up a certain person from the airport in the middle of the day. :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/12/18306487_aa07d92c51.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/18305941_68301a0940.jpg?v=0

gdwriter
02-22-09, 09:23 PM
^ You should see the new train layout they have there. It is amazingly huge. Its called the great train story and it is about taking a train trip from Chicago to Seattle. In the layout the city of Chicago actually has a 10 ft. replica of the Sears Tower.I saw that and would really like to check it out. My five-year-old nephew loves trains. He would go nuts over this.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-09, 10:05 PM
I think for the next meet we should do customized t-shirts!

On The Front:
"Cadillacowners.com Summer Meet 2009"

On the back:
"The Isuzu Bashing Committee"

gary88
02-22-09, 10:52 PM
There needs to be a picture of John Redcorn somewhere on that shirt

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-09, 11:07 PM
Maybe the "Isuzu Bashing Committee" text can encircle a picture of John Redcorn, and on the back, we can have our nicknames.

Dibs on "The Aristocrat"

CadillacGurl
02-22-09, 11:22 PM
Maybe the "Isuzu Bashing Committee" text can encircle a picture of John Redcorn, and on the back, we can have our nicknames.

Dibs on "The Aristocrat"

Hahahaha I'll put Darling Nikki on mine

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-23-09, 12:48 AM
I hate having to come up with nicknames for myself and if you put the word "Isuzu" in it anywhere I'm gonna kill meself.

I am trying to think of something older because I have 2 cars that are both the oldest out of the group (Betty doesn't count cause she's a Chevy). Maybe Cadillac Style from the 80's commercials.

CadillacGurl
02-23-09, 11:46 AM
I hate having to come up with nicknames for myself and if you put the word "Isuzu" in it anywhere I'm gonna kill meself.

I am trying to think of something older because I have 2 cars that are both the oldest out of the group (Betty doesn't count cause she's a Chevy). Maybe Cadillac Style from the 80's commercials.

What about Rodeo? :p or Commi Walmart ?? :lol:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-23-09, 11:55 AM
What about Rodeo? :p or Commi Walmart ?? :lol:

Bah! Maybe I should just go by Wally.

I actually have a license plate frame that says "Follow me to Wal*Mart" which my grandma got for me when they went to Arkansas.

gdwriter
02-23-09, 11:14 PM
I actually have a license plate frame that says "Follow me to Wal*Mart" which my grandma got for me when they went to Arkansas.Oh, dear God. Maybe the other license plate on the car should have a frame that says "Follow me back to my trailer park." :histeric:

No offense intended, John. The devil made me do it. :devil:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-23-09, 11:38 PM
No offense intended, John. The devil made me do it. :devil:

None taken, I am proud of my hillbilly heritage.

As Kahn would say "Hillabilly redneck neighbor!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-09, 11:44 PM
Oh, dear God. Maybe the other license plate on the car should have a frame that says "Follow me back to my trailer park." :histeric:

Hahahahaha! Or maybe "My other car is a Monte Carlo" :histeric:

Or maybe "I'm a Skoal man for life!"

nickc50310
02-24-09, 01:11 AM
I'd like to visit the Museum of Science and Industry at some point because that place is just too freakin' cool (and the last time I was there was in 1997). But otherwise, I don't need to go into the city.

I will probably spend an extra day or two in Chi to get in some time in the city. If youre down to spend extra time there, my GF, brother and I will go with ya to the museum. I love that museum. Ironically, I think the last time I went there was 96 or 97.

Also, either weekend is good for me.

Night Wolf
02-24-09, 08:32 PM
Now that I'll be able to more easily take time off work with the new job, I may try to make the meet, get the chance to meet alot of forum members.

Looking at Mapquest it is roughly 13hrs/800-miles.... same as Key West, I may even do it in 1-day.... wonder if there is anyone else in the South that would like to meet and caravan up, or just dosen't want to drive the distance :)

What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would take part into which vehicle gets the honor.

96Fleetwood
02-24-09, 10:08 PM
I drove from Atlanta to Chicago in my supercharged Tahoe back in November. Took me 11 hours, the smokey mountains were fun :thumbsup:

gdwriter
02-24-09, 10:27 PM
What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would take part into which vehicle gets the honor.It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.

Night Wolf
02-24-09, 11:17 PM
I drove from Atlanta to Chicago in my supercharged Tahoe back in November. Took me 11 hours, the smokey mountains were fun :thumbsup:

Depending on which part of ATL, I am about 90-120mins South.... so 13hrs seems about right.

It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.

Wait.....what? Seriosuly?

That is PERFECT top down weather.... I was thinking late Augest would be cold (below 60's) man I have been out of NY way too long. Thats what that was in reference to, if it was too cold for topless driving, then I'd take the Lincoln.... but if it isn't too cold (63* seems to be the cutoff) then the ol' BMW will be making the trip.... she needs alot of work until then, so I better get started! As of right now the A/C in the Bimmer dosen't even work, not that I think I would use it anyway... it's on the list of things to fix, but there are more important items first.

As for the Jeep... unless there are some trail days planned, then when talking another 2,000-mile roadtrip, 27mpg is much more appealing then 17.

Looking at Mapquest again, Chicago is also just about exactly 13hrs/800 miles from my home town in NY, which I told myself I want to make a trip back up this year, I'm thinking maybe I'll take 2 weeks off end of Augestish, go to the Chicago meet, then NY for a week. My hometown is 17hrs/1000-miles from my house, so I'll make that a 2-day trip.

The fun thing about the new Gov't job is comp time... means I can work a weekend/overtime and instead of getting paid OT for it, I can exchange it for time off, so even 10-days off (2 weeks), between now and Augest, not even counting vacation buildup, is plenty of time to work that time off.

Now I'm excited :)

gary88
02-24-09, 11:52 PM
Trust me, you will come to appreciate air conditioning in Chicago during August.

gdwriter
02-25-09, 12:32 AM
Trust me, you will come to appreciate air conditioning in Chicago during August.:yeah: Willis Carrier (inventor of air conditioning) is one of my heroes. Seriously.

I've driven convertibles and enjoy them, but when it's hot (85+) and humid, it's A/C all the way, baby. When I bought Betty, one of my conditions was that it had to have factory air. It didn't have to work (it didn't), but it had to have it. I've spent a lot of money to get it working, and it works beautifully.

On a long road trip (I will be driving more than 2,000 miles each way) with 8+ hour drives several days in a row, driving with the top down for hours at a time at highway speeds would be exhausting. But I'm old. :rolleyes:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-25-09, 12:42 AM
July and August are the two hottest months of the year. It could easily be 90 degrees the last week of August with very high humidity and no wind. Now we just have to get Brizzal on board.

GizmoQ
02-25-09, 01:25 AM
Well this is a CADILLAC meet, so my Mustang Vert stays in the garage. Too bad I'm not doing anything special to my ESC this year. Still looking forward to this. The third week works for me cause I have another meet there that Saturday in Busse Woods.

Jesda
02-25-09, 03:11 AM
I've never taken a Cadillac to a Cadillac meet.

I drove the BMW in June humidity last year with the top down. Its reasonably cool on the highway. At idle in traffic, not much fun.

gdwriter
02-25-09, 03:13 AM
OK, it looks more likely that I will be able to drive to the meet. Between vacation and personal days I have accrued, I should have enough to drive the 2,300 miles each way without spending 15 hours a day behind the wheel. And thanks to a very cool road trip planner (http://www.gasbuddy.com/Trip_Calculator.aspx) I found at gasbuddy.com, you can plug in your trip and your car, and it will calculate the cost of gas based on your car's EPA rating, plus the best local prices along your way depending on your car's range. Right now, it's looking like a bit over $300 round trip, but we'll see how much it is as summer approaches. In 2007, I spent over $800 in gas driving to and from Des Moines. And it was worth it.

I definitely now prefer Aug. 28-30. This will allow me to see my friends in eastern Washington and see the Hot August Nights car show in Lewiston, ID the weekend before; I just won't be showing my car this year. I can see Mt. Rushmore on the way, which I've never seen before, then head up to Minneapolis, so I can caravan to Chicago with Chad, Brian and Tanner.

It's not 100% certain I can drive (probably 75-80%). If gas prices go sky high or this year's tax bill is so bad that I have to borrow money to pay it, I'll likely have to fly. But I really want to take Sabrina on a road trip and bring Hoover.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-25-09, 08:10 AM
Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.

CadillacGurl
02-25-09, 12:26 PM
Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.

Well, you could always fly...

gdwriter
02-25-09, 01:38 PM
Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.You can ride down with me and Hoover if I drive. You'd need to catch a ride back with Tanner or Brian, since I will head west on I-88 toward Des Moines that Sunday night.

If we're going to a racetrack, though, you should bring the Benz.

jey
02-25-09, 05:51 PM

Wow the gas bill on that trip must have been incredible. Actually let's see, November, that's when gas came back down to under $2 - ok, I see why you took it in November and not October :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-25-09, 09:10 PM
You can ride down with me and Hoover if I drive. You'd need to catch a ride back with Tanner or Brian, since I will head west on I-88 toward Des Moines that Sunday night.

If we're going to a racetrack, though, you should bring the Benz.

If we go to a racetrack, I may have to bring my car, I'm dying to know what she runs in the 1/4, but if we do autox, then forget it.
Otherwise, if I don't drive, it would be fun to ride down with you. :)

It's funny though, we should drive a CADILLAC to a Cadillac meet, and Tanner's is now (finally) running, but it gets like 6mpg so that kinda rules him out for the time being, and Brian has no Cadillac anymore (I'll see if I can't talk him back into one) so depending on whether or not Ruthie is gonna go, we may take her '93 SdV down. If she doesn't go, then either Tanner or I will take our cars, because whatever Brian has is gonna cost us a LOT more in gas than the CdV or S320.....unless I can talk him back into an LT1 Brougham, that got us 28mpg on the way down to Davenport, IA, doing 78-82 mph!

Well, you could always fly...

Hahaha, oh Nicki you're funny! :histeric:

CadillacGurl
02-25-09, 09:33 PM
Hahaha, oh Nicki you're funny! :histeric:

Are you one of those people that won't set foot on a plane?? :suspect:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-25-09, 11:17 PM
No, but why pay more money for a plane ticket when Chicago is only 7 hours away. Perfect road trip!

90Brougham350
02-26-09, 12:06 AM
August 28th - 30th it is then! My truck is for sale right now, I've had a few calls on it already. Who knows what the future may hold! But there's a good chance Ruthie will be going, so we'll be driving one way or another for sure.

Brian

90Brougham350
02-26-09, 12:08 AM
No, but why pay more money for a plane ticket when Chicago is only 7 hours away. Perfect road trip!

Yeah, the way you drive!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:h89Uuz7NStKmaM:http://www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/images/Logos/Handicap1.jpg

Zing!!!!!!

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-09, 12:20 AM
What can I say? I've only got the *****SIX***** cylinder! :p :p :p

Night Wolf
02-26-09, 03:58 AM
July and August are the two hottest months of the year. It could easily be 90 degrees the last week of August with very high humidity and no wind. Now we just have to get Brizzal on board.

lol... easily be 90 and high humidity?

That is good for convertible weather.... I've gotten used to the heat since I've lived in FL/GA. Our Summers routinely stay in the high 90's, 100's and even 110ish.... so down into the 90's is a nice change.

Hopefully the A/C would be working though, just alot of things on the car to fix, most of the things are under $250/pop, which is fine, except for the suspension/brakes, I'd want the suspension address before such a trip.

Who is along the way? this is the route according to Map Quest,

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Macon&1s=GA&2c=Chicago&2s=IL

Night Wolf
02-26-09, 04:04 AM
What can I say? I've only got the *****SIX***** cylinder! :p :p :p

If my Inline-6 Jeep can hit triple digits, then you have no excuse with your Inline-6 Mercedes. Double :p :p :p. :cool:

jey
02-26-09, 03:08 PM
If we go to a racetrack, I may have to bring my car, I'm dying to know what she runs in the 1/4, but if we do autox, then forget it.

Nice - if we do any motorsport event I will try to make this meet. Even better if it's an AutoX! Either weekend works for me!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-26-09, 03:37 PM
Rick, most of us live west of the city, not south.

Chad, just saw a commercial for Southwest Airlines. They are soon to be starting flights from Minneapolis to Midway for $49.

Brian, you will HATE the way I drive. My cars are lucky if they ever see 70 and if its doin 80 someone has stolen my car.

thebigjimsho
02-26-09, 03:52 PM
Southwest is going to be flying into Logan as soon as this August...

gdwriter
02-26-09, 03:57 PM
Southwest is going to be flying into Logan as soon as this August...Interesting; they've always promoted Manchester and Providence as convenient alternatives to Logan.

I've done both Manchester and Logan on trips to NH, and Manchester is so much easier. On my last trip in 2002, I was using frequent flier miles, so I had to go into Logan. The Big Dig was still under construction, so getting in and out of Logan to I-93 north was a PITA.

CadillacGurl
02-26-09, 05:45 PM
Chad, just saw a commercial for Southwest Airlines. They are soon to be starting flights from Minneapolis to Midway for $49.

Starts March 8th :bouncy: Would have been better if they started that last year when I flew out to visit my room mate... it was so expensive via United

dwight.j.carter
02-26-09, 06:33 PM
The question is why would anyone fly. Most people don't keep a car more than a couple years so why would anyone want to fly an airplane probably built in the seventies or eighties ?

dwight.j.carter
02-26-09, 06:33 PM
Oh and I am in whatever weekend you guys choose I will probably ride with Nick.

Night Wolf
02-26-09, 07:25 PM
The question is why would anyone fly. Most people don't keep a car more than a couple years so why would anyone want to fly an airplane probably built in the seventies or eighties ?

Whats wrong with airplanes built in the 70's and 80's?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-09, 07:55 PM
If my Inline-6 Jeep can hit triple digits, then you have no excuse with your Inline-6 Mercedes. Double :p :p :p. :cool:

It might do 101. I've done 134, and it still had about 1500 rpm.

gdwriter
02-26-09, 08:12 PM
The question is why would anyone fly. Most people don't keep a car more than a couple years so why would anyone want to fly an airplane probably built in the seventies or eighties ?Northwest is still flying DC-9s built in the Seventies, but most airplanes in use today aren't more than 20 years old. Airlines have been retiring older, less fuel efficient planes at a rapid clip in the past few years.

There's nothing inherently wrong with those planes other than the loud engines in the DC-9s, MD-80s and 737-200s; of those three, only the MD-80 is still used in large numbers, mostly AA and Delta. But Rick, as an aircraft mechanic, you should know about pressurization cycles and the stresses those put on the airframes, especially planes that make frequent, short flights, as was the case with the then 19-year old Aloha 737 that lost part of its fuselage in 1988:

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rich/MECH353/Aloha.JPG

OK, I know I've gone :Offtopic: but I'm interested in almost anything with wheels or wings.

Night Wolf
02-26-09, 09:35 PM
Northwest is still flying DC-9s built in the Seventies, but most airplanes in use today aren't more than 20 years old. Airlines have been retiring older, less fuel efficient planes at a rapid clip in the past few years.

There's nothing inherently wrong with those planes other than the loud engines in the DC-9s, MD-80s and 737-200s; of those three, only the MD-80 is still used in large numbers, mostly AA and Delta. But Rick, as an aircraft mechanic, you should know about pressurization cycles and the stresses those put on the airframes, especially planes that make frequent, short flights, as was the case with the then 19-year old Aloha 737 that lost part of its fuselage in 1988:

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rich/MECH353/Aloha.JPG

OK, I know I've gone :Offtopic: but I'm interested in almost anything with wheels or wings.

Yes, I am fully aware of pressurization cycles. The comment was made about planes made in the 70's and 80's, which dosen't mean anything in and of itself. The regional airlines I worked for had aircraft that were 10yrs old with more cycles on them then some of the big airlines 30-yr old fleet.

Aircraft are a whole different ballgame then cars, age plays a role, but there is alot more to it then that. Most people don't realize the age of the planes they fly on, but they don't understand how it all works either, if someone thinks their "2001" car is old, then what would they think about flying a "1990" plane? Some of the military aircraft I work on were built in the 60's.

In the case of the Aloha 37, corrosion also played a big factor in that, as you mentioned it had to do with cycles, not necessarily age. Total airframe time and cycles are what wears out a plane, not years - with that said, there is nothing wrong about flying on an "older" airplane.

I think we would have plenty to talk about if we ever met up - with our common interests and all :)

bstiffmanofsteel
02-27-09, 12:18 AM
Sounds fun, I'll attend!

GizmoQ
02-27-09, 12:37 AM
Aircraft are a whole different ballgame then cars, age plays a role, but there is alot more to it then that. Most people don't realize the age of the planes they fly on, but they don't understand how it all works either, if someone thinks their "2001" car is old, then what would they think about flying a "1990" plane? Some of the military aircraft I work on were built in the 60's.

O.K. guys, you need to keep one other thing in mind. Most military aircraft are maintained like race cars. When the racing season is over, they tear it down to the frame and rebuild anew. I retired at OC-ALC (the largest ISO 9001 aircraft overhaul facility in the world) where they do the depot overhauls of the Air Force B-52, KC-135, and a whole bunch of other aircraft and parts. Believe me when they leave there, they're damn near brand new again.

A couple years ago I rode on an aircraft with a 57xxxx tail number - that jet was commissioned in 1957!!! Its older than I am. But knowing our overhaul schedules take everything you guys mentioned and a multitude of other factors and flight characteristics into consideration, it didn't bother me a bit.

Night Wolf
02-27-09, 12:54 AM
O.K. guys, you need to keep one other thing in mind. Most military aircraft are maintained like race cars. When the racing season is over, they tear it down to the frame and rebuild anew. I retired at OC-ALC (the largest ISO 9001 aircraft overhaul facility in the world) where they do the depot overhauls of the Air Force B-52, KC-135, and a whole bunch of other aircraft and parts. Believe me when they leave there, they're damn near brand new again.

A couple years ago I rode on an aircraft with a 57xxxx tail number - that jet was commissioned in 1957!!! Its older than I am. But knowing our overhaul schedules take everything you guys mentioned and a multitude of other factors and flight characteristics into consideration, it didn't bother me a bit.

A fellow depoter! I'm at WR-ALC. Depot level of C-130, C-5, C-17 and F-15. I work depot level 130's.

Same is said for many of the airliners when they get out of heavy D checks, maybe not the exact same extent, but close. The average person just dosen't understand it though, simply thinks that just because an airplane is XX age, then it must be bad/unsafe.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-27-09, 01:44 AM
Okay, no more airplane talk.

And if anyone else disses the 80's I'm gonna slash your tires. :)

gdwriter
02-27-09, 02:15 AM
Aircraft are a whole different ballgame then cars, age plays a role, but there is alot more to it then that. Most people don't realize the age of the planes they fly on, but they don't understand how it all works either, if someone thinks their "2001" car is old, then what would they think about flying a "1990" plane? Some of the military aircraft I work on were built in the 60's.So what is this new job? I've seen references to it, but haven't actually seen you post where you're working now.

My Dad spent most of his USAF career as a crew chief on B-52s. Now there's a plane that's built to last. The current active duty planes are H models, which were built between 1961 and 1962. But even though they're approaching 50 years old, they have fewer hours on them than many commercial jets.

In the case of the Aloha 37, corrosion also played a big factor in that, as you mentioned it had to do with cycles, not necessarily age. Total airframe time and cycles are what wears out a plane, not years - with that said, there is nothing wrong about flying on an "older" airplane.Exactly right. That Aloha 737 had spent its career island hopping doing 30-60 minute flights, constantly exposed to salt air. I did some research, and at the time of the incident, the plane had gone through 89,090 takeoff and landing cycles, the second highest total cycles for a plane in the world at the time -- well beyond the 75,000 trips it was designed to sustain.

Night Wolf
02-27-09, 02:17 AM

And if anyone else disses the 80's I'm gonna slash your tires. :)

Keep on rockin' the 80's!

5qW0Edq1KqI

Actually if I end up going to the meet, ya'll will probably get a glimpse of my wide music selection - including the 80's.

gdwriter
02-27-09, 11:48 AM

And if anyone else disses the 80's I'm gonna slash your tires. :)Nothing wrong with the 80s; they were certainly better than the 70s. If any decade deserves dissing, that would be the one. And I can say that because I lived through them.

Rick, you must have posted the info about your new job while I was writing mine asking you about it. Congratulations; it sounds like a good gig, and likely more stable than the airlines.

Gizmo, I remember my Dad telling me about the depot overhauls and how it would be hard to find an original part on any currently flying B-52. And I know there are lots of KC-135s on duty that are even older than the BUFFs. A testament to Boeing engineering.

Night Wolf
02-27-09, 12:27 PM
Nothing wrong with the 80s; they were certainly better than the 70s. If any decade deserves dissing, that would be the one. And I can say that because I lived through them.

Rick, you must have posted the info about your new job while I was writing mine asking you about it. Congratulations; it sounds like a good gig, and likely more stable than the airlines.

Gizmo, I remember my Dad telling me about the depot overhauls and how it would be hard to find an original part on any currently flying B-52. And I know there are lots of KC-135s on duty that are even older than the BUFFs. A testament to Boeing engineering.

Well, I left the airlines back in July and started working on base - depot 130's, but as a contractor. Now I am going civillian, I'll be employed by the Gov't, less money but it's a career not just a job. I'll be in a different building tho doing different things then I was before.

kfx
02-27-09, 01:12 PM
:DHey nick, jimmy, brian, tanner, dwight, chad, jesda, gizmo, gdwriter!! Sorry I've been awol for the last couple months, my work & life in general have been outta control lately (won't go into details).

I voted for the weekend of 8/21, but unfortunately I work at a university and that is our busiest time preparing for students to return so I may end up not being able to leave town either of those weekends. But i'll definitely come if i can get away, plus i'm only 2hrs. from chitown. Had a blast at the last 2 meets that Nick put together (accept for last yr when i got a kidney stone!).

A later summer meet actually works great cause if all goes right i'm getting my whole car repainted in june, gotta scratch together enough $$$.

Was recently at navy pier & shedd aquarium, but i also would like to go to the museum of science & industry.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-27-09, 09:38 PM
Dammit, I can't find a good video on Youtube of "1999" by Prince. :mad:

thebigjimsho
02-28-09, 02:47 AM
Interesting; they've always promoted Manchester and Providence as convenient alternatives to Logan.

I've done both Manchester and Logan on trips to NH, and Manchester is so much easier. On my last trip in 2002, I was using frequent flier miles, so I had to go into Logan. The Big Dig was still under construction, so getting in and out of Logan to I-93 north was a PITA.Before the completion of the Big Dig, the airport was a disaster, as well as the rest of Boston. The Ted Williams Tunnel was only open to commercial vehicles(hooray us). And the Sumner Tunnel was a perpetual traffic jam.

The Sumner would end above ground at I-93. Traffic into Boston from the north and south always occurred because of the insane offramps in the downtown area. The Sumner Tunnel was jammed from about 6:10AM to at least 7PM. From about 11AM to 12:30PM it could be open but it would be a risk. The Sumner exited and you could either take I-93N or stay right and go to the North End and take the ramp to I-93S.

The problem with I-93N is that its 2 most heavily traveled offramps were about 150ft and 750ft from the Sumner Tunnel onramp. Crossover congestion non-stop. If you wanted to go to I-93S, you had to deal with Hanover St traffic. Cars and pedestrians. Another perpetual jam.

Now that the Ted Williams Tunnel is hooked up with I-90, it's open to everyone. That takes a lot of traffic off the Sumner. And now the Sumner empties to more tunnels. There is no direct, efficient access to I-93S. That's where the Ted takes you to. So now, you bear left and exit to I-93N, Washington St to head towards Charlestown or to New Charndon St towards Beacon Hill and the Financial District. If you bear right out of the Sumner, you take a tunnel and exit to Storrow Dr or Leverett Circle.

In the 4 years since the Big Dig has been mostly completed, I have not seen the Sumner Tunnel back up once, except for construction or maintenance in the tunnel itself.

Tis a new world in Boston traffic. Logan is no longer the burden it used to be. Getting to Logan is much improved as well...

thebigjimsho
02-28-09, 02:50 AM
Dammit, I can't find a good video on Youtube of "1999" by Prince. :mad:
Prince is a very wise man...

CadillacGurl
02-28-09, 10:26 AM
Prince is a very wise man...

Darling Nikki... that is all :lol:

thebigjimsho
02-28-09, 07:11 PM
so I hadn't seen or heard Darling Nikki in a while, so I googled. Here was a related video...

Dailymotion - 3Way Episode #9 "Rhonda Rapid Delivery", a video from 3WayTV. 3Way, 3WayTv, Cathy, Shim, McManus (http://www.dailymotion.com/related/x60ni9/video/x55hdm_3way-episode-9-rhonda-rapid-deliver_gaylesbian)

CadillacGurl
03-01-09, 10:07 PM
Lovely...

thebigjimsho
03-02-09, 05:39 PM
Tis, isn't it?

iowasevillests
03-02-09, 07:55 PM
Either weekend would work for me, I'm fairly new to the forums, but would love to join a meet, especially since I'll be coming out of SW Iowa it's an easy short day up to Chi town.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-02-09, 10:50 PM
Chi town.

No. Its called Chicago. :tisk:

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 01:04 AM
The Wendy City...

iowasevillests
03-06-09, 09:54 AM
Home of Crook.....I mean Cook County