: oil filter for northstar

ELDO GUY
02-20-09, 09:43 AM
I have a 2000 Eldo . Im looking to use a larger oil filter , because the pf58 seems pretty small for all the oil that goes through it . I thought I saw some info on this at one time but cant find it now . Tx for the help !!!

Submariner409
02-20-09, 10:13 AM
The Cadillac Northstar filter series is a fairly small filter - it really doesn't have much work to do because the engines are emissions and machine clean. There are no larger "Racing" equivalents which will fit.

If you want the best filter for the buck:
1. Stay away from K&N. Hype.
2. Either get a WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter) #51522 (check the cross references first), change your oil and filter, filling only to halfway up the dipstick hashmark (many posts and GM TSB on this, but the engine will basically quickly burn off the half-quart overfill if you fill to the top MAX mark). Your engine should take just about 7.5 quarts of 5W-30 oil, dino or synthetic, in whatever is your favorite top brand. DON'T OVERFILL !! (10W-30 oil is also allowable but not the recommended weight - read the owner's manual on this.)(The service manual asks you to prefill the filter before you screw it on, pretty hand tight.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive at the top of the page, in the black bar. Google "knize oil filter study".

Enjoy

ELDO GUY
02-20-09, 11:34 AM
Tx for all the info. Big is not always better I guess . I will be reading the articles !!!

Krashed989
02-21-09, 03:47 AM
2. Either get a WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter) #51522 (check the cross references first)...

Carquest is the same filter also #85522

Submariner409
02-21-09, 09:00 AM
Does Carquest rebrand WIX ? Many aftermarket filters use something close to the industry-wide numbering system, but there are several manufacturers, and all filters are NOT created equal. I've never run across a Carquest, so have no idea who makes it or what it looks like internally. A real WIX or NAPA Gold 51522 is about $6.50+ - Fram (yuk) and others are cheaper.

Do the "knize oil filter study" Google, or cut apart a couple of different filters. Very informative. Carefully cut around the can about 1/8" down from the tapping plate and pull the element out. If the filter is used (from your car) cut and remove the pleated media and break it into 8-pleat sections. Using plenty of rags, squeeze each media piece in a vise to remove 99% of the oil. Now unfold the media like an accordion and look carefully at what is trapped in the pleats. Bits of gasket and sealer should be present only after the first change on an overhauled engine. Maybe a few tiny, bright aluminum flakes - piston skirt. Duller iron or steel flakes - not good: cam or lifters or timing chain. White/yellow nylon or plastic - timing chain tensioners and slippers.

creeker
02-21-09, 02:16 PM
Does Carquest rebrand WIX ? Many aftermarket filters use something close to the industry-wide numbering system, but there are several manufacturers, and all filters are NOT created equal. I've never run across a Carquest, so have no idea who makes it or what it looks like internally. A real WIX or NAPA Gold 51522 is about $6.50+ - Fram (yuk) and others are cheaper.

Do the "knize oil filter study" Google, or cut apart a couple of different filters. Very informative. Carefully cut around the can about 1/8" down from the tapping plate and pull the element out. If the filter is used (from your car) cut and remove the pleated media and break it into 8-pleat sections. Using plenty of rags, squeeze each media piece in a vise to remove 99% of the oil. Now unfold the media like an accordion and look carefully at what is trapped in the pleats. Bits of gasket and sealer should be present only after the first change on an overhauled engine. Maybe a few tiny, bright aluminum flakes - piston skirt. Duller iron or steel flakes - not good: cam or lifters or timing chain. White/yellow nylon or plastic - timing chain tensioners and slippers.

I use napa (wix) for both my 97 sts and 92 eldo.,as said before they have gold and silver grades, silver cost less and is still better than most other filters,for the extra few bucks I use the gold.

Krashed989
02-21-09, 08:02 PM
Does Carquest rebrand WIX ?

Yup, it does. It's just a WIX filter with a new paintjob and instead of 50 or 51 for the first two numbers it has 84 or 85.

The only reason I know this is because the autoshop that I work for recently did an inventory change from wix to carquest. Everything was exactly the same, just relabeled. I guess carquest just happens to be cheaper for the company right now.

Submariner409
02-21-09, 08:26 PM
That's good info......like everything else in this business, NOTHING is cast in stone: it all changes daily !!

35 miles SE of here a BIG dealer, GMGiant Cadillac/Pontiac/Hummer has just disappeared within 48 hours. All cars loaded on trucks, gone. 78 employees gone. Lights out. Their web site is still up, but the Annapolis dealers and a couple of Baltimore port storage lots have their inventory. The Port of Baltimore, a huge car carrier unload port, is so full of cars that you can walk on them for, and I kid you not, miles.

I'm gonna do some snooping about GMGiant to see if I can score a Tech-II for a decent price. Even if it had only updates to mid-2009 (model year) it would still be a great find...........

darien99
02-21-09, 11:51 PM
Yes, a PF58 is pretty small. You should have a PF61 on there.

Submariner409
02-22-09, 11:26 AM
PF 61 superceded the PF 58 a while back and is the same size as a #51522.

Same filter for your 95 as for his 2000. Look at either the WIX cross reference catalog or on www.rockauto.com site: (AC, Fram, maybe a couple of others, no WIX).

ELDO GUY
02-23-09, 06:42 PM
Ill look into this one. How much larger is the PF61? .

Submariner409
02-23-09, 07:23 PM
:sneaky: Go to your nearest parts house and compare the two. I looked in our local Western Auto and they had no PF 58's. The comparable WIX, Fram, and Parts Master units all have the same size can. If you download some of the filter manufacturer .pdf catalogs you'll be able to find the size (case) specs for just about anything. Take a look at tapping plate thread sizes and the inside/outside diameter of the seal ring as well as the outer case sizes and you might find some oddball long case filter that would fit in place of a 58/61/XX522.

Ranger
02-23-09, 08:16 PM
I would not loose any sleep over filter size. Remember that some pretty smart lubrication engineers decided what was needed.

ELDO GUY
02-23-09, 09:56 PM
Ill be doing a lot of reading before my next oil change !! A lot of good ideas here. Not all oil filters are created equal ! Ill have to use the old can opener and take a look at a Wix Ive never seen the inside of one but everyone says they are about the best.

Submariner409
02-24-09, 11:32 AM
You'll need a fine tooth hacksaw, a steady hand and vise, and judgement to discount the inevitable saw debris that will find its way onto the top media section.

Best of all worlds is to chuck the filter in a lathe and cut the tapping plate off that way.

ELDO GUY
02-24-09, 02:29 PM
I actually made a filter opener using replacement cutting wheels from a pipe cutter. Put the filter in a vice , tighten lightly , give it a few spins with the opener and its open like a can of soup . No mess.

JohnnyO
03-12-09, 10:55 AM
I use AC or NAPA Gold if I happen to be by the NAPA store near oil change time. They closed up the one that was near my house and moved it two towns away. I have tried Mobil 1 filters two different times and both times I had a helluva time getting them to thread on. Never had that problem with a Mobil 1 filter on any other vehicle, only Cadillacs.