: Gasket Kit & Engine Oil Cooler Repairs

ondale
02-19-09, 11:51 PM
How funny that my long time mechanic friend thought I was crazy that I had bought a 2001 Catera Sport after my 1997 Catera. I told him I just like the car. Well at 90K I took it in cause it was smoking and I wanted to replace the timing belt.

So as I figured, the Heater Control Valve and the Engine Oil Cooler needed to be replaced. Also, I need the gaskets changed too (leaking oil). I am having the hardest time finding the GASKET KIT (a package that included all the gaskets, uppers/lowers,etc). Plus a complete OIL COOLER is hard to find, just want to do a simple removal and install, no fixing or resealing project.

I'm in Chicago and my contact at Foley Cadillac (the parts guy even thought I was crazy for buying the Catera twice) told me the complete oil cooler and upper gasket are back ordered and scarce. So I am reaching out to my Catera support group to see what avenues you can suggest for me to find these items. (already did the ebay route). Also I am going to replace the water pump/idler pulley, tension bars along with the timing belt, so access to discounted OEM parts would be helpful too.

Again my mechanic asked if I was seriously considering spending all that to fix a car whose blue book said was not worth it. However, I really like my Catera Sport and appearance wise, it is in flawless condition. So I am going to bit the bullet and invest $2,000 to $2,500 to get all fixed.

I'm open to your suggestions on part places and other ideas.

AHazzardToAll
02-21-09, 12:43 AM
i say go for it. i think we just about all love the cars and i don't care what book says on them. i usually just search local auto parts stores like speedway, advance, o'reilly, and autozone. most parts have at leas a 1yr and several carry lifetime unlike cadillac's =p

gixxer_751
02-24-09, 07:42 PM
.02... I got complete oil cooler "kit" (everything needed to change out) and paid $355 off e-bay of course GM warranteed

sassanach
02-25-09, 12:52 PM
$355,phew, oil cooler kits here are 105 thats approx$160!!!