: My take on "RICE"

Pages : [1] 2

Katshot
06-20-03, 02:02 PM
I truely believe that all the flaming that so called Ricers get is TOTALLY uncalled for. I think that most (if not all) people that flame ricers are just old-school performance dinosaurs and need to realize that Ricers are no different than many of us were when we were young.

In high school, I remember many guys taking lame-ass cars with no REAL performance capability and doing multiple BS mods to them via Pep Boys/JC Whitney/Local Speed Shops. Virtually any high school back in the 60's and 70's had a ton of cars with the following:

1. Air shocks
2. Fat rear tires
3. Skinny front tires
4. Glass-pack muffler(s)
5. Chrome tail pipe(s)
6. Chrome air cleaner or just flipped-over OEM lid
7. Pin stripe or "Racing Stripes"
8. Chrome or aluminum rear inspection cover
9. TONS of stickers (Thrush, STP, Edlebrock, Hooker Headers, etc, etc)

You know how many guy I saw pulling 2bbl carbs off and "plopping" 4bbl on thinking that they had just made a RACE CAR?
No, sorry guys, this is the SAME THING that's ALWAYS been part of the automotive scene. This new generation just uses better cars than we did and they manage to get a hell of a lot more performance out of their cars than we did, and it REALLY seems to piss-off the old-school guys.
I, for one can appreciate a slammed Civic just as I can a '69 Z-28, or a Callaway Vette, or a Saleen Mustang. Hell, I used to build High-Performance VW Beetles and always got the eye from the RWD/V8 guys whenever I took one out on the road. And I'm sure they used to have all kinds of crap to say about me and my little POS cars after I dusted their Camaro's or Mustang's.
But throughout the years, even though there HAS ALWAYS BEEN more than one way to go fast, I've NEVER seen such animosity towards other performance enthusiasts as there seems to be nowadays. I REALLY think it's stupid and am getting tired of hearing it from supposedly intelligent people.

**Flame-OFF**

Elvis
06-20-03, 02:35 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

The term "riceboy" should apply to someone who slaps a bunch of stickers on a car for parts they don't own. Or to a kid who parrots a lot of car talk they read in a magazine or on an internet forum, but they have no idea what they're talking about.

Consider this: In the 50's, 60's, 70's, and early 80's, there just weren't any Japanese cars on the road that were worth modifying. (I'm not talking about the Z) Today, Asian-built cars dominate the market. Kids are going to mod WHATEVER cars they happen to be able to afford.

BeelzeBob
06-20-03, 03:07 PM
I agree as well. There's no need to pay any disrespect to anyone because of the kind of car they choose - or choose to improve... I for one, respect all automobiles and their owners.

--> Moving this to the Lounge...

Brett
06-20-03, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Katshot]6. Chrome air cleaner or just flipped-over OEM lid
[QUOTE]

:histeric: the flipped over lid, i forgot about that. I think I did that to my '80 Regal in high school, probably worth 10 hp :rofl:

I'm with you on this one, i acually like alot of these "rice"(i dont actually use that term) cars.

Hey when your'e 16, all you can afford is the stickers. I have alot more respect for those guys than the kids around here driving boxsters. Now if I saw a thirty year old driving a civic with a black painted hood and aluminum wing I might start to wonder about him.

Night Wolf
06-20-03, 04:46 PM
Quote form the Olds topic:

IMO a "riced out" car is ANY car with, a huge spoiler on the back that serves no purpose, big exhaust tips that make the stupid buzz noise on stock exhasut system, mutiple stickers of products that the owner does not own, nor in the car. body kit put on badly or not painted, huge 10k racing tach with amber shift light.....when the car is an auto with a factory tach in the dash. stupid badges like Type-R on a lowest line Civic, or those DOHC V-tech stickers on a car that dosn't have it etc...

speaking for me, and alot of other people, If I was to see a car, even with all the things on it, and the car dosn't have, or anything like that, I still proablly wouldn't call it rice, BUT when the owner of the car actually thinks, and goes around acting like the car is really fast, when it is all stock, except for apperance, then that is what I really consider rice. It happens all the time at my school, but if people would just shut their mouth, instead of braggin about things they don't have in their car, then everything would be fine.

Blackout
06-20-03, 05:29 PM
The thing you always see the most of is kids with ground effects, neons, wheels, carbon fiber hoods, wings, etc. cruising around. But me being a kid and who know's a lot of people like this know why the kids do this.
1. Too many cops so whats the point of having a fast car that all its going to do is get you in trouble.
2. Not every kid cares about performance. Some kids if not most of them go for the all show-no go setups.

But I am also tired of people throwing the "ricer" word around all the time as soon as they see a import with any sort of modification done to it. The big thing is the "fart pipe" well unfortunatly no matter what you do a 4 cylinder it WILL sound like a farting noise or like bubble bee's no matter how good of a setup you have on it. But the kids with these cars also need to chill out with all this JDM talk and to stop being SO original with modifying Civic's, well actually any Honda in general. Try expanding your horizon's a little bit. Every car I have owned has been one not too many if any kids my age have owned. I've owned a 86' Lincoln Mark VII LSC, 89' Nissan Maxima SE, 91' Ford Taurus SHO+, and now I have the '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. So those car minus the Maxima nobody my age would even think of owning. KIDS BE ORIGINAL FOR ONCE!!!

DeVillish
06-20-03, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=BlackoutSpecV]But the kids with these cars also need to chill out with all this JDM talk and to stop being SO original with modifying Civic's, well actually any Honda in general. Try expanding your horizon's a little bit. [QUOTE]

yeah, i remember when i was really into JDM cars, the real stuff. I went around my school with a pic of a JGTC(Japanese Grand touring car) Chaser from a mag and asked all the "import guys" what it was. WOW, not one knew, i got answers like, acura legend, IS300, accord. Thats what i deam a ricer, if you talk about things you read in super street but have no clue about anything else, then i say rice(or hamberger if its US cars :banghead2 ).

chrisngrod
06-21-03, 12:26 AM
03EscaladeAWD seems like the self appointed rice cop here. If no one makes mods on their Cadillacs how are we ever going to get anywhere? If there is no need to make mods who will make the custom parts... The "rice" scene is an obvious call to everyone that we as Americans desire auto parts and all we can get.

scourge
06-21-03, 12:33 AM
when the owner of the car actually thinks, and goes around acting like the car is really fast, when it is all stock, except for apperance, then that is what I really consider rice.

Its not so much the car as the owner (or as is often the case with kids - simply the driver). Civics can be nice cars. No, they aren't race cars and no matter how much money you dump into it, its never going to be one. That was never part of its design consideration. But, having said that, I really really LOVE the Top Fuel Honda Del Sol they made for Option Magazine thats mid engine and rear wheel drive. Now, thats how Honda should have made it to start with. Very Lotus like.

http://www2.famille.ne.jp/~mst-hide/event/sa_zero.html
http://p34car.hp.infoseek.co.jp/off/motegi01/01motegi8.htm

And, I think maybe an AWD Civic would be a nice fun car to do up but they were never sold directly in the USA and using the CR-V drivetrain for a swap has been done but its expensive.

Ralph
06-21-03, 12:36 AM
03EscaladeAWD seems like the self appointed rice cop here. If no one makes mods on their Cadillacs how are we ever going to get anywhere? If there is no need to make mods who will make the custom parts... The "rice" scene is an obvious call to everyone that we as Americans desire auto parts and all we can get.

What are you talking about? Caddies are plenty powerful from the factory, well mine is. I think the term stems from what I heard years ago which is "If it runs on rice, then you are a ricer." We are talking about JAP cars here. Please in the future, DO NOT call my Cadillac a RICER even if I make mods to it. A Cadillac is NOT a RICE car! Remember in Harley Davidson and the Marboro Man, Don Johnson shot his bike and said "damn rice-bike, etc" Well it was a Japanese bike. When I hear Americans calling their Cadillacs rice, I get angry at first, then I laugh and think what are you guys talking about?! Up here, Rice is Jap! bouncer:

Night Wolf
06-21-03, 01:56 AM
Its not so much the car as the owner (or as is often the case with kids - simply the driver). Civics can be nice cars. No, they aren't race cars and no matter how much money you dump into it, its never going to be one. That was never part of its design consideration. But, having said that, I really really LOVE the Top Fuel Honda Del Sol they made for Option Magazine thats mid engine and rear wheel drive. Now, thats how Honda should have made it to start with. Very Lotus like.

http://www2.famille.ne.jp/~mst-hide/event/sa_zero.html
http://p34car.hp.infoseek.co.jp/off/motegi01/01motegi8.htm

And, I think maybe an AWD Civic would be a nice fun car to do up but they were never sold directly in the USA and using the CR-V drivetrain for a swap has been done but its expensive.

I am not saying Civic's are bad.... one of my friends just got a '92 Civic. Sure it's slow, but it is bigger and nicer inside then I first thought, and he wanted a car with good gas millage, and he gets 38-40 around town, that's what he wante,d and he is happy with it, and it's all good.... but he realizes it's not a fast car, and treats it so.

But yeah, Civic's...used for the purpos they were design- god, cheap, reliable transportation form point A to point B, are great little cars, especally if you are concered about gas millage....

....they hold their valuve very well, his car has 90k miles on it. Mine had 78k on it when I bought it, he paid $3,900 for his car and I paid $4,500 for mine... $600 differnce but look at how much more of a car I have (20mpg around town too) but that's what he wanted, so it's all good.

Katshot
06-21-03, 08:44 AM
I think Ralph is right **GAG** ;)
No, REALLY!
The term "Ricer" originally came from the motorcycle crowd and it DID refer to Japanese bikes. Then, as Japanese CARS started invading the automotive scene much in the same way that Japanese bikes had, the "Rice" name seemed to just spill over onto them as well.
The same idiotic mindset that gave us a "much divided" motorcycle enthusiast group, had just planted the same "bad seed" in the minds of automotive enthusiasts. Of course, it took hold and has grown into the same type of self-destructive thinking that will continue to undermind the collective power of a truely HUGE market group.
Think about how much more freedom and choices we, as automotive enthusiasts would have if we ALL were a "united" group and not several "splintered" groups. If "automotive performance" included ALL types of cars and owners, we as a group of vehicle owners would surely benefit. Aftermarket companies would be able to consolidate their marketing efforts into one market segment instead of the many that they must try to attract now and be able to roll that money over into lower prices, and expanded product lines. Just think of the possibilities if we weren't such a narrow-minded, prejudicial group of people.

Elvis
06-21-03, 09:10 AM
TIME OUT!

Okay, I'm the "Bling Bling" police, a few others are the "Rice Police," but right now I'm going to become the self-appointed PUNCTUATION POLICE!

Save yourselves a key stroke here and there, fellas.

If a word is PLURAL, you don't stick an apostrophe in before the "s" OKAY? The apostrophe is meant to indicate possession, not plurality.

thank you.

[/end *******ness]

HotRodSaint
06-21-03, 09:33 AM
Civics can be nice cars. No, they aren't race cars and no matter how much money you dump into it, its never going to be one.

Haven't you been to the F1 race is Suzuka yet? The opening race is a Civic spec race.

Night Wolf
06-21-03, 10:19 AM
I heard RICE first mean:

Rotery
Internal
Combustion
Engine

As in the older RX-7 etc...

scourge
06-21-03, 10:49 AM
Haven't you been to the F1 race is Suzuka yet? The opening race is a Civic spec race.

Just because they race them, that doesn't make them race cars. There is also a Nissan March one make series and if you've ever seen a March, you'd know they ain't race cars.

And for the rotoary engines, Option had an article with a custom 4-rotor engine making mad power. Bolts in just like a 13b or 20b.

HotRodSaint
06-21-03, 11:12 AM
Just because they race them, that doesn't make them race cars. There is also a Nissan March one make series and if you've ever seen a March, you'd know they ain't race cars.

What would a car that be called that races and has had it's interior stripped, a roll cage installed and it's suspension and driveline modified so that it is no longer legal to drive on the street?

A.) Street car
B.) Show car
or
C.) Race car

Not all race cars start life as carbon fiber tubs. Many racing series are still based on production cars modified for racing use. It all depends on how it's equipped and where it's driven.

Brett
06-21-03, 12:01 PM
Many racing series are still based on production cars modified for racing use.

Yeah, just look at Winston...er...Nextel Cup Cars :)

03EscaladeAWD
06-21-03, 01:25 PM
I still have to say that any car can be a ricer. A car with stickers stating something its not, like V-Tech stickers on a Cadillac, a loud racing exhaust that is said to improve performance but really only improves sound, and a ridiculously big spoiler that does nothing but increase drag and decrease gas mileage can't be anything but a ricer. This setup can be on a Honda, a Cadillac, or even a Bentley. You usually see them on Hondas because they are the easiest to do, and the cheepest. Thumbs up to the people who actually make it fast, but I would still tell them you would save a helluva lot of money buying American muslce thats already fast when you buy it. Imagine a Rice Bentley. The owners wont live long. bouncer:

Blackout
06-21-03, 02:04 PM
I still have to say that any car can be a ricer. A car with stickers stating something its not, like V-Tech stickers on a Cadillac, a loud racing exhaust that is said to improve performance but really only improves sound, and a ridiculously big spoiler that does nothing but increase drag and decrease gas mileage can't be anything but a ricer. This setup can be on a Honda, a Cadillac, or even a Bentley. You usually see them on Hondas because they are the easiest to do, and the cheepest. Thumbs up to the people who actually make it fast, but I would still tell them you would save a helluva lot of money buying American muslce thats already fast when you buy it. Imagine a Rice Bentley. The owners wont live long. bouncer: Well yes you can buy american muscle. I mean who wouldn't want a car that gets 15 mpg, cheap build quality, in the shop more then its on the road, cheap interior, but yet it goes fast. Well damn I'll be more then happy to dump $30k+ for a muscle car just because it goes fast and the rest of it blows. The import cars are so much better build quality, last a lot longer, and hold their value better. OK think of it like this. I bought my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V or $18,065 I blieve it was. Now my best run has been a 15.196 @ 88.54 mph in it stock. Within the next few months there is going to be 3 turbo's coming out for the Spec V from the same company. Stage I= $450 which makes the car go from 175hp to 220 hp and 180 lb/tq. to 245 lbs./tq. Stage II= $1100 and makes 290 hp and 310 lb./tq. and Stage III= $2000 and makes 320 hp and 365 lb./tq. Now lets say my $18k car with the Stage III kit equals $20k. Now with that kinda power pushing around a 2400 lbs. car that would be more then enough to blow the doors off of a new Cobra without even thinking about it and will probably give a Z06 a run for its money if not beat it. But I guess paying $20k for a import with 4 doors that would blow away a $40k+ american muscle sports car is just stupid then ain't it? :rolleyes:

Blackout
06-21-03, 02:12 PM
Here are some pictures of the QR25DE engine out of a Spec V with the Garrett GT35/40 ballbearing turbo put in.

http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/Dionsengineout1.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/Dionsengineout2.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/Dionsengineout2.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-21-03, 03:16 PM
Now with that kinda power pushing around a 2400 lbs. car...

You drive backwards? :shocked2:

HotRodSaint
06-21-03, 03:19 PM
Yeah, just look at Winston...er...Nextel Cup Cars :)

Uh, yea...nice Taurus you drive there Rusty. :shhh:

Brett
06-21-03, 03:26 PM
Well yes you can buy american muscle. I mean who wouldn't want a car that gets 15 mpg, cheap build quality, in the shop more then its on the road, cheap interior, but yet it goes fast. Well damn I'll be more then happy to dump $30k+ for a muscle car just because it goes fast and the rest of it blows. The import cars are so much better build quality, last a lot longer, and hold their value better. OK think of it like this. I bought my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V or $18,065 I blieve it was. Now my best run has been a 15.196 @ 88.54 mph in it stock. Within the next few months there is going to be 3 turbo's coming out for the Spec V from the same company. Stage I= $450 which makes the car go from 175hp to 220 hp and 180 lb/tq. to 245 lbs./tq. Stage II= $1100 and makes 290 hp and 310 lb./tq. and Stage III= $2000 and makes 320 hp and 365 lb./tq. Now lets say my $18k car with the Stage III kit equals $20k. Now with that kinda power pushing around a 2400 lbs. car that would be more then enough to blow the doors off of a new Cobra without even thinking about it and will probably give a Z06 a run for its money if not beat it. But I guess paying $20k for a import with 4 doors that would blow away a $40k+ american muscle sports car is just stupid then ain't it? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but this one time at band camp, i saw a Z06...........Oh wait, I think we've been down this road and its a dead end :bonkers:

03EscaladeAWD
06-21-03, 08:37 PM
Well yes you can buy american muscle. I mean who wouldn't want a car that gets 15 mpg, cheap build quality, in the shop more then its on the road, cheap interior, but yet it goes fast. Well damn I'll be more then happy to dump $30k+ for a muscle car just because it goes fast and the rest of it blows. The import cars are so much better build quality, last a lot longer, and hold their value better. OK think of it like this. I bought my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V or $18,065 I blieve it was. Now my best run has been a 15.196 @ 88.54 mph in it stock. Within the next few months there is going to be 3 turbo's coming out for the Spec V from the same company. Stage I= $450 which makes the car go from 175hp to 220 hp and 180 lb/tq. to 245 lbs./tq. Stage II= $1100 and makes 290 hp and 310 lb./tq. and Stage III= $2000 and makes 320 hp and 365 lb./tq. Now lets say my $18k car with the Stage III kit equals $20k. Now with that kinda power pushing around a 2400 lbs. car that would be more then enough to blow the doors off of a new Cobra without even thinking about it and will probably give a Z06 a run for its money if not beat it. But I guess paying $20k for a import with 4 doors that would blow away a $40k+ american muscle sports car is just stupid then ain't it? :rolleyes:
I was talkin about a used IROCZ. Thats a helluva lot cheaper than 30 grand. Yeah, Japan has the edge over American cars with fuel economy and reliability. STOCK! Add in a stage 3 turbocharger that boosts it 150+ hp gotta be 20+ psi and 15:1 compression that would take away its miles per gallon advangtage. And of course to turbo it, you've already destroyed the warranty. Gotta put in some extra strong sleeves in there some pistons some cams a new crankshaft so you gotta basically rebuild the engine to handle the turbo. More than 20 grand. When you're done, you don't have any warranty, the reliability is questionable, if you miss on changing some Japanese part in the engine the turbo will blow it to bits, you probably don't get better than 20 mpg, and you've spent at least 25 grand on a Japanese import. (I dont remember the cost of these mods. These are rough estimates!) This is all to compete with a IROCZ that you could've gotten for 10 grand less. A highly modded Jap to compete with a completey stock IROCZ! And if you couldn't find one in your area, then get a 5.0. Plus you'll never get a growl or rumble from that engine. Only farts. Gotta have a LT1 for some real juicy sounds!

chrisngrod
06-21-03, 09:53 PM
blackoutspev... come on man who would want a car that would never go in the shop and last more than 250k miles without any problems like my old Lexus SC400? Isn't the fun of an American car spending a lot of money for the time in the shop? My car has actually done very well lately and not needed any major service. I cross my fingers that it will remain like that for some time so I can do some upgrades. Other than that today I was really tempted to go to Raleigh and find a 5 speed SC300...

Blackout
06-21-03, 10:06 PM
Well in my 1991 Ford Taurus SHO+ I raced a IROC-Z and we were right next to each other the whole time and buy the time I hit 4th I jumped a little bit ahead but that was about it and we were dead even until we left off at 120 mph. And my stock Spec V is faster then my SHO was so in that case my stock Spec V would be able to beat a IROC-Z and my stock Spec V has beaten many 5.0's that were stock at Atco as well as on the road. But as for you saying about a used IROC-Z, you never once said that in your post so how was I supposed to know what you were talking about? So if were talking used cars then how about a used 240SX with a SR20DET swap and the most your paying is about $4500-5000 and you have a mid-low 14 sec car? Next time before you say something and then someone responds to it and then you say what you meant just put it in the first post to begin with not once someone has already made a rebuttle to it.

the Sandman
06-21-03, 10:21 PM
http://syty.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/hits_the_fan.gif

Night Wolf
06-21-03, 10:48 PM
Well in my 1991 Ford Taurus SHO+ I raced a IROC-Z and we were right next to each other the whole time and buy the time I hit 4th I jumped a little bit ahead but that was about it and we were dead even until we left off at 120 mph. And my stock Spec V is faster then my SHO was so in that case my stock Spec V would be able to beat a IROC-Z and my stock Spec V has beaten many 5.0's that were stock at Atco as well as on the road. But as for you saying about a used IROC-Z, you never once said that in your post so how was I supposed to know what you were talking about? So if were talking used cars then how about a used 240SX with a SR20DET swap and the most your paying is about $4500-5000 and you have a mid-low 14 sec car? Next time before you say something and then someone responds to it and then you say what you meant just put it in the first post to begin with not once someone has already made a rebuttle to it.

Stock Fox body 'Stang with the 5.0 were not all that fast, sure they were not slow either.......but nobody gets a Fox body to keep it sock, with a very little amount of money, they can be built up, and would kill your Sentra.

Blackout
06-22-03, 03:21 AM
Well what are we comparing here? Are we comparing new cars that are stock to used one with mod's or used cars to used cars? I mean if you want to compare it to a Sentra then how about the older SE-R's with the SR20DE in it and throw on a turbo and you have your own SR20DET with a boost controller that run's low 14's high 13's and the best part is with SR20DE's internals are designed to support up to 400 hp without having to modify the engine at all to support that kind of power.

scourge
06-22-03, 06:27 AM
Hotrodsaint, I see you are still compteley obtuse about Japan. Just how many of these racing Marches are on the street? 0 Just how many of these racing Civics are on the street? 0 How many Civics were designed from the start to be/become race cars? 0

Man, just like last year. Stop trying to make points about Japan that you have no concept of. Any car can be raced. Hell, a Trabant can be put into a race. Does this make the entire series of Trabants (that were never designed nor intended to be race cars) ever made automatically race cars? :helpless:

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 10:14 AM
Hotrodsaint, I see you are still compteley obtuse about Japan. Just how many of these racing Marches are on the street? 0 Just how many of these racing Civics are on the street? 0 How many Civics were designed from the start to be/become race cars? 0

Man, just like last year. Stop trying to make points about Japan that you have no concept of. Any car can be raced. Hell, a Trabant can be put into a race. Does this make the entire series of Trabants (that were never designed nor intended to be race cars) ever made automatically race cars? :helpless:

Hahahaha. :histeric:

I was born in Japan. I have been there 10 times over the past 6 years on business. Automotive business. I have attended the Tokyo Auto Salon more times than you've read about it. I've dined with the promoter and other higher level automotive dignitaries. I've been to the F1 race at Suzuka. Didn't you even stop to think how I would know about Suzuka?

But I could have been born in Egypt and never once left the desert to understand that a car equipped to race is called a race car. A car equipped to carry policemen is a police car. A car equipped to carry paying passengers is a taxi. Whats so hard to grasp about that?

So what if the Ferrari 360 (or the 550) was designed as a street car. When it's equipped to race, it's a race car. Does that mean all Ferrari's are race cars? No.

I never said all Civics (or Marchs) stock from the factory were race cars. And your assertion that all race car's must be designed from the beginning to be race cars is wrong and flies in the face of racing history. Many, many cars in many, many racing series all over the world started life soley as street cars.

I responded to what you said:

Originally Posted by scourge
Civics can be nice cars. No, they aren't race cars and no matter how much money you dump into it, its never going to be one.

That was incorrect. And just like 'last year' you aren't willing to concede you are wrong.

You can dump money into these cars and make them race cars. Can they compete at LeMans? Many street cars turned into race cars have. Of the recent Japanese entries the Acura NSX and Nissan Skyline come to mind. But there isn't a class for 2 liter and under FWD cars.

But here in America, a FWD Protege is 5th right now in the Touring Class of the SCCA Speed Touring Car Series. This puts it ahead of several BMW 325ci, several Lexus IS300 and a few Acura Integras and an RSX that race in that series. It's a FWD Acura RSX that leads this division, ahead of a the top 2 BMWs and an Audi A4.

So yes, you can take a street car and dump alot of money into it and it becomes a race car. But it's a waste of money if there isn't a series that will allow it to be raced.

It has always been that way since the first cars were built. And it will be this way until the last car is built.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 10:22 AM
Well what are we comparing here? Are we comparing new cars that are stock to used one with mod's or used cars to used cars?

Exactly. If you are comparing a used IROC to a new Sentra and the biggest argument you have is modding the Sentra voids the warranty, then thats not fair. The IROCZ hasn't been produced for many years and is long past warranty coverage. And you weren't going to leave the IROC stock were you? Cause that would void a 'warranty' too.

If this is going to be an on going topic, "You could purchase a used Ferrari for the price of upgrading your Corvette". Then let's make it a thread and set down some guidelines.

Set a maximum purchase price and a yearly upgrade budget and the intended racing forum, Autocross or drag racing. Then we can begin to have an apples to apples discussion on why my used Ferrari will beat your used Corvette.

the Sandman
06-22-03, 10:23 AM
http://syty.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_popcornsmiley.gif

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 10:30 AM
Oh and by the way, an Audi RS6 leads the GT class ahead of a BMW M3, a Corvette Z06, another BMW M3 and a Roush Mustang. The 2 Vipers are down near the bottom, one being at the bottom.

So you might want to think about buying a used 6 cylinder sedan if you'd like to win the autocross division.

Night Wolf
06-22-03, 10:53 AM
I think we all could benifit form this:

:D

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

scourge
06-22-03, 10:54 AM
I am not conceeding anything because I'm not wrong, especially to an arrogant person who thinks way to highly of himself. You can race a Civic all you want, but no matter how much money you dump into it-it will not change the fact that the Civic was never designed to be a race car or even a sports car. I have been in Civics used as race cars and I have seen them race, most often illegally.

The Civic is an econobox. That is its reason for eistence. So, no matter how much money you dump into it, you will never change that. You can race it all you want, but you will not change the fact that its nothing more than a grocery getter.

So, you can mouth off some more about how much you think you know, where you have been, and who you claim to know. You cannot change the fact that the Civic will never be a race car. You can dance around with semantics all you want. So, just like last year you can talk a lot of shit and will no doubt talk more in the next post about how great you are, but that cannot change the fact that you were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Night Wolf
06-22-03, 10:56 AM
Oh, and BTW....it's a Sentra :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
06-22-03, 10:59 AM
I am not conceeding anything because I'm not wrong, especially to an arrogant person who thinks way to highly of himself. You can race a Civic all you want, but no matter how much money you dump into it-it will nto change the fact that the Civic was never designed to be a race car or even a sports car. The Civic is an econobox. That is its purpose. So, no matter how much money you dump into it, you will never change that.

So, you can mouth off some more about how much you think you know, where you have been, and who you claim to know. You cannot change the fact that the Civic will never be a race car. You can dance around with semantics all you want. So, just like last year you talk a lot of shit and will no dount talk more in the next post about how great you are but that cannot change the fact that you were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Kinda like the new Neon SRT-4...... sure it may out run new Mustang GT's and many other cars costing 2+ times the amount....and you get a 14second car for $20 with a 5 year warrantee or something....

.....but no matter how fast it is, it's just a Neon

I am not saying I like it or I do, it's a neat car, fast for cheap, but I would never want to own one.

scourge
06-22-03, 11:03 AM
Kinda like the new Neon SRT-4...... sure it may out run new Mustang GT's and many other cars costing 2+ times the amount....and you get a 14second car for $20 with a 5 year warrantee or something....

.....but no matter how fast it is, it's just a Neon

I am not saying I like it or I do, it's a neat car, fast for cheap, but I would never want to own one.

Exactly. Hey, I've seen a 650hp Civic outrun Skylines but it still is what it is. The Neon SRT-4 is just a compact family sedan with a really fast motor. Body kits, faster time slips, out on the track, wherever - this fact will not be changed. You can dump as much money in the Neon as you want but its still not going to be a race car - its going to be a compact family sedan in a race.

Brett
06-22-03, 11:30 AM
race·car ( P ) (rskär)
n. Sports
An automobile used for racing.

It would seem that the definition for race-car is pretty broad, and could include just about anything

Night Wolf
06-22-03, 11:40 AM
I personally don't like Skylines.... I can't see spendig $70k on a sports car and you get a 4banger with AWD..... I want a big ol' push rod V8 and RWD.... but they are nice cars....

I wouldn't consider a Neo a family sedan though.... it is marketed more towards late teens/early 20's as a fast car for cheap.

I persoanlly like the sleeper idea a whole bunch more.... late 70's Coupe DeVille, with the 500, and go from there.... hell yeah

Brett
06-22-03, 11:41 AM
Skyline is an I-6, well at least the GTR is/was

Blackout
06-22-03, 12:16 PM
The R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II is a twin turbo'd AWD I-6 producing 327 hp @ 6800 rpm. Here is a link to a page that has the stats with the R-34 and the V-Spec versions of the car http://www.jbskyline.net/R34/GTR/Specs/ so the V-Spec version weighs in at 2400 lbs. so the power to weight ratio is great. As you can see at the bottom it does a 1/4 in 13.7 seconds. But anyways getting back to mr.biased himself aka Hotrodsaint you said how an Audi is leading the GT class and what not. Well the last time I checked Audi is an import also and its beating out the best "American Muscle" we have to offer and it only a 6 cylinder. So right there is proof that american muscle being the best race cars is proof that they are not if Z06's and Viper's and Rousch Mustangs are losing to M3's and Audi's. So you want me to to think of a maximum purchase price and yearly upgrade budget...ok. Well lets see. maximum you can spend for the car is $4500. http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=134357494&dealer_id=1360979&car_year=1988&make=NISSAN&distance=50&max_price=&model=240SX&advcd_on=n&end_year=2004&min_price=&certified=n&address=18940&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1983&color=&cardist=10 well there's my car. so $4500-$1200 = $3300 *the $1200 is for the car. The guy said I could take it off of him for $1000 if I wanted it but I figured I would leave it at $1200* Now my engine swap. Now here is the setup I would be getting complete swap w/intercooler, piping, blow off valve,2 1/2 inch down pipe, perfor FL $2,800.00 so $3300-$2800 = $500. And then with the $500 bucks my buddy can get me a pair of racing slicks for $500 for the rear tires. And then with just that I have a 13 sec. car. Oh and this is for drag racing not auto crossing.

catbert
06-22-03, 01:45 PM

Let me know when your $20k Nissan runs 12.1. On a separate note, there is Japanese performance - then there is rice. I never necessarily associated preformance with street rice. Rice is a "look" around here, that may, OR MAY NOT, have anything to do with going fast. Just my 2 pennies. BTW - you can't generalize about build quality anymore. The sister car of your Sentra, the Altima, has miserable build quality, fit and finish and interior component quality. American iron now has several models in the top 5 in new car quality, including Cadillac and Saturn.

Brett
06-22-03, 02:25 PM
Remember being a kid, and all you could think about was "one day I will own a SENTRA", oh wait that never happened. If you think a Sentra can be as fast or faster than a corvette, well thats where your'e right. So can alot of cars, but that doesn't make it a Corvette, it just makes it a fast Sentra. In the same respect a corvette is no Sentra, bad fuel economy, 2 seats etc. There is no point in comparing completely different cars.

scourge
06-22-03, 02:34 PM
Brett, thats my point about the Civic as well. I am aware of the ability to use a very broad definition of a race car as well. Sure, I have seen Civics raced. I have seen Nissan Marches raced. In a sense, these specific cars are race cars because thats what they are doing. But, that cannot change the fact that the Civic and March are nothing more than econoboxes. All the money in the world cannot change the fact that they are econoboxes. They may be damned fast econoboxes, but they are still econoboxes.

And, Skylines in Japan can be had very cheap. My GTS4 was less than $3500USD.

DeVillish
06-22-03, 02:43 PM
ok, the thing about what is and isnt a race car, WHO CARES! so what if its a civic your racing in, your still racing, and having fun, last time i checked isnt that was this HOBBY was all about? Vipers ARNT race cars then, stangs arnt, and forget about the McClaren F1 its a street car, not a race car. But there are RACECAR vipers and McClarens arnt there, so why cant we have racecar Neons(there IS a class just for them) and civics? You cant say that one car can be a racecar and other cant just becuase the company that made it didnt intend it to be a race car because ALOT of racecars were never intened to be racecars when they rolled off the line.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 03:04 PM
ok, the thing about what is and isnt a race car, WHO CARES! so what if its a civic your racing in, your still racing, and having fun, last time i checked isnt that was this HOBBY was all about? Vipers ARNT race cars then, stangs arnt, and forget about the McClaren F1 its a street car, not a race car. But there are RACECAR vipers and McClarens arnt there, so why cant we have racecar Neons(there IS a class just for them) and civics? You cant say that one car can be a racecar and other cant just becuase the company that made it didnt intend it to be a race car because ALOT of racecars were never intened to be racecars when they rolled off the line.

He get's it.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 03:29 PM
Sure, I have seen Civics raced. I have seen Nissan Marches raced. In a sense, these specific cars are race cars because thats what they are doing.

So now you are saying that you can spend a certain amount of money and turn them into a race cars?

So you will agree that this is a real race car?
http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gall2003/033gallery_ph/033_07.jpg

And this one?
http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/events/R01Sebring/03-seb-tc-88.jpg

You're gonna love this one.
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/aj/2003/030421r12_mon/jk1.jpg

Is this a freeway? Because all I see is econo-boxes.
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/aj/2003/030421r12_mon/start1.jpg

03EscaladeAWD
06-22-03, 03:37 PM
I'm gonna stop ranting about American cars now. I'm getting trampled by the postivies of Japanese cars! I hate em and I wont change. If you got a thing against American cars, I dont know why you're on this forum. The forum for you is http://www.superhonda.com . This place is for Cadillac enthusiasts. This is a copy from the Oldsmobile: Ricer or Muscle? thread

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 03:48 PM
But anyways getting back to mr.biased himself aka Hotrodsaint you said how an Audi is leading the GT class and what not. Well the last time I checked Audi is an import also and its beating out the best "American Muscle" we have to offer and it only a 6 cylinder. So right there is proof that american muscle being the best race cars is proof that they are not if Z06's and Viper's and Rousch Mustangs are losing to M3's and Audi's.

Me biased? Prove it. Show me one post where I have exhibited any bias. If anything, I am biased toward foriegn cars.

I have never, ever in my life, been an American first proponent. Thats just stupid. I made the post you are referencing in support of your argument. Read it again.

If you think me debating Scourge is an attack on foreign car's, read that again too. He's just an young pup who spouts off before he thinks and he isn't mature enough to admit that he was wrong. He said no amount of money could make a Civic a race car. I say he's wrong.

So you want me to to think of a maximum purchase price and yearly upgrade budget...ok. Well lets see. maximum you can spend for the car is $4500. <edit> Oh and this is for drag racing not auto crossing.

So set up another thread. You take drag racing and I'll take auto cross. Let's have a proper discussion about what can be had for what kinda money. The people who think that a 16 year old kid can buy a Corvette and make a rice beater, let them do it on paper and see who's right.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 03:55 PM
I'm gonna stop ranting about American cars now. I'm getting trampled by the postivies of Japanese cars! I hate em and I wont change. If you got a thing against American cars, I dont know why you're on this forum. The forum for you is http://www.superhonda.com . This place is for Cadillac enthusiasts. This is a copy from the Oldsmobile: Ricer or Muscle? thread

Why can't someone appreciate ALL car's on this board? Why can't I own a Cadillac and a Nissan 350Z if I choose? I like Cadillacs for one reason and foriegn sports cars for another.

This place is for Cadillac enthusiasts. This is a copy from the Oldsmobile: Ricer or Muscle? thread

So why would you post a Oldsmobile question in a Cadillac forum?

03EscaladeAWD
06-22-03, 04:14 PM
Why can't I own a Cadillac and a Nissan 350Z if I choose?
Cause thats like being friends with Harry Truman and Adolf Hitler at the same time. :rofl: lol J/K!! Can we close this thread? This is exactly how I got kicked off the Ferrari forums. Condemned for supporting American cars! About the IROCZ, my main point is you could save a lot of money modding out an IROC than you would modding a Sentra. If you're gonna turbo and highly modify a car for racing, I would think the least of your problems would be the interior styling and the gas mileage. Maybe I'm wrong. I would never buy either of those cars. If I ever had one, I'd trade it all in for a nice soft riding Cadillac! Having a race car is worthless if you don't have the right truck to pull it! IMO, I would have my Caddy pullin a IROC than a Taurus or Senta. But I've past race cars now, the only car I want is a Caddy, ok?

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 04:27 PM
I am not conceeding anything because I'm not wrong, especially to an arrogant person who thinks way to highly of himself. <edit>
So, you can mouth off some more about how much you think you know, where you have been, and who you claim to know. You cannot change the fact that the Civic will never be a race car. You can dance around with semantics all you want.

Is this a race car?
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/mw/030421r12_mon/am1.jpg

So, just like last year you can talk a lot of shit and will no doubt talk more in the next post about how great you are, but that cannot change the fact that you were wrong then and you're wrong now.

You have it all wrong. It is you who are talking sh!t once again. I made valid points. You quickly resorted to name calling.

As for me being arrogant, it was you who claimed I didn't know anything about Japan. Wasn't that you being arrogant if not presumptious? I wasn't even thinking about posting where I was born, where I've been and who I've met. But you started in with 'you don't know jack about Japan.' I just responded to your false assumption.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 04:31 PM
Cause thats like being friends with Harry Truman and Adolf Hitler at the same time. :rofl: lol J/K!!

Just the answer Stalin would have given. :devillaug

Katshot
06-22-03, 06:27 PM
Like it or not, these statements are undeniable:

1. A Neon (or any other stock vehicle for that matter), is only a Neon until it is modified. At that point, it becomes a custom car, and it's value (or usefulness) from any angle of use is now TOTALLY dependent on the person doing the modifications.

2. Many street cars have gone on to become phenominal "RACE-CARS".

3. Many "race-cars" have gone on to become Phenominal "STREET-CARS".

4. ANY vehicle can be a "RACE-CAR" of some sort if someone wants to race it bad enough.

5. Anyone foolish enough to believe that only cars that were "originally designed" to be a race-car, can make a good race-car, has no clue about the rich history of automotive racing.

6. If I take my Cadillac out and SPANK a Mustang in a race, I've just PROVED that my Cadillac is a better "RACE-CAR" than the Mustang.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 06:46 PM

1. A Neon (or any other stock vehicle for that matter), is only a Neon until it is modified. At that point, it becomes a custom car, and it's value (or usefulness) from any angle of use is now TOTALLY dependent on the person doing the modifications.

4. ANY vehicle can be a "RACE-CAR" of some sort if someone wants to race it bad enough.

5. Anyone foolish enough to believe that only cars that were "originally designed" to be a race-car, can make a good race-car, has no clue about the rich history of automotive racing.

6. If I take my Cadillac out and SPANK a Mustang in a race, I've just PROVED that my Cadillac is a better "RACE-CAR" than the Mustang.

He gets it.

Night Wolf
06-23-03, 12:15 AM

there we go, finally some sense....

I will also add, about the SHO, IROC-Z and Sentra thing.....

Just because car X is faster then car Y, and car Z is faster then X, therefor Z is faster then Y.... it dosn't work that way, there are too many other variables.

Night Wolf
06-23-03, 12:19 AM
The R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II is a twin turbo'd AWD I-6 producing 327 hp @ 6800 rpm. Here is a link to a page that has the stats with the R-34 and the V-Spec versions of the car http://www.jbskyline.net/R34/GTR/Specs/ so the V-Spec version weighs in at 2400 lbs. so the power to weight ratio is great. As you can see at the bottom it does a 1/4 in 13.7 seconds. But anyways getting back to mr.biased himself aka Hotrodsaint you said how an Audi is leading the GT class and what not. Well the last time I checked Audi is an import also and its beating out the best "American Muscle" we have to offer and it only a 6 cylinder. So right there is proof that american muscle being the best race cars is proof that they are not if Z06's and Viper's and Rousch Mustangs are losing to M3's and Audi's. So you want me to to think of a maximum purchase price and yearly upgrade budget...ok. Well lets see. maximum you can spend for the car is $4500. http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=134357494&dealer_id=1360979&car_year=1988&make=NISSAN&distance=50&max_price=&model=240SX&advcd_on=n&end_year=2004&min_price=&certified=n&address=18940&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1983&color=&cardist=10 well there's my car. so $4500-$1200 = $3300 *the $1200 is for the car. The guy said I could take it off of him for $1000 if I wanted it but I figured I would leave it at $1200* Now my engine swap. Now here is the setup I would be getting complete swap w/intercooler, piping, blow off valve,2 1/2 inch down pipe, perfor FL $2,800.00 so $3300-$2800 = $500. And then with the $500 bucks my buddy can get me a pair of racing slicks for $500 for the rear tires. And then with just that I have a 13 sec. car. Oh and this is for drag racing not auto crossing.

Sorry to break your bubble.... but I would rather have a Buick Grand National, and with minor bolt on stuff like an intake, and better exhaust, maybe some other very basic, minor and cheap mods, it will be running better then a 13.7 in the 1/4.... all this with a car weighing 1000lbs more then the $70k skyline, single turbo (stock.... from 15 years ago) in a car that can serve other purposes (actually be used as a daily driver, and fit people in the back seat etc..) oh, and all this for about 1/4 of the price of a new Skyline.....

..... I would much rather have a GN, with those basic mods, then a Skyline, and pocket the extra cash or put it towards a house or something.

scourge
06-23-03, 12:56 AM
If you think me debating Scourge is an attack on foreign car's, read that again too. He's just an young pup who spouts off before he thinks and he isn't mature enough to admit that he was wrong. He said no amount of money could make a Civic a race car. I say he's wrong.

But I'm not. I'm not young and you don't know as much as you think you do. Civics are Civics and no amount of money will ever change that. Nothing you post here will change that either. Vipers are designed to be performance cars. Corvettes are designed to be performance cars. Supras are designed to be performance cars. Cameros are designed to be performance cars. The list goes on and on.

I refer you back to the 650hp Civic killing Supras, Skylines, and EVOs at Tsukuba. That Civic was nothing shot of badass. It beat cars that were designed to perform and be raced. Is this racing Civic still just a two door econobox? Yes, yes it is.

So, you can say I'm wrong all day long with your fingers in your ears screamin "La-la-la-la" to your heart's content. I'm yet to see you prove the Civic is anything more than an econobox. Your closed minded arrogance hasn't changed one bit nor has your ability to become correct.

scourge
06-23-03, 01:07 AM

Then its not a Neon anymore. My point about the Civic never being a race car is that no matter how mch money it thrown into it, no matter how much shit Honda owners talk, no matter how much anyone online fails to admit it, the Civic will always be a Civic. Honda kids can talk smack all day long but their car is just a Civic.

As for closing this thread, I don't think its necessary. Its up to four pages and people are having fun with it. Even I am enjoying toying with someone who thinks they know a lot about Japan but has failed to prove such in any post here ever.

But, I think the consensus so far is that 'Rice" is ay Japanese car that looks fast but isn't, is covered by stickers of products that may or may not actually be on the car, and is generally offensive to the eye with owners who have the maturity of an elementary school kid.

Katshot
06-23-03, 08:53 AM
Sorry to break your bubble.... but I would rather have a Buick Grand National, and with minor bolt on stuff like an intake, and better exhaust, maybe some other very basic, minor and cheap mods, it will be running better then a 13.7 in the 1/4.... all this with a car weighing 1000lbs more then the $70k skyline, single turbo (stock.... from 15 years ago) in a car that can serve other purposes (actually be used as a daily driver, and fit people in the back seat etc..) oh, and all this for about 1/4 of the price of a new Skyline.....

..... I would much rather have a GN, with those basic mods, then a Skyline, and pocket the extra cash or put it towards a house or something.

Panther:
FYI,
1. The Grand National pulled 13.0's stock with just drag tires installed.
2. Using the Grand National in this argument is great for your point but you have to admit that it is (and was) a very rare car and DEFINATELY not at all an example of OEM performance of the day. It is more the exception than the rule.

the Sandman
06-23-03, 09:01 AM
Actually, Buick made over 100,000 turbo cars in that era, GN's and turbo Regals. Still quite a few around today if you look. Not all were intercooled, though, which made a *big* difference stock vs stock.

Now Syclones and Typhoons, they're somewhat rare. V6 turbo Trans Ams too. GNX's much rarer yet. :D

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 09:24 AM
Then its not a Neon anymore. My point about the Civic never being a race car is that no matter how mch money it thrown into it, no matter how much shit Honda owners talk, no matter how much anyone online fails to admit it, the Civic will always be a Civic. Honda kids can talk smack all day long but their car is just a Civic.

Let me get this straight. You can spend alot of money on a Neon, and it ceases to be a Neon. But if you spend alot of money on a Civic, it is always a Civic. :bonkers:

We can settle this right now. Is this a race car? Yes or no?
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/aj/2003/030402mday/mn1.jpg

You haven't answered that because answering in the obvious manner just proves my point. I really don't think you are so stupid as to actually think that it isn't a race car. You just aren't mature enough to admit that you made an error and move on.

So rather than addressing my points and/or conceding that you made an error, you attempt to attack me personally once again. If we were politicians on CNN, that might work for a sound bite. But this is an automotive board where everyone can search your user name and reread your past posts.

So far what that search exhibits is that for all the knowledge that you have claimed to possess, you don't know very much about automotive regulations and US manufacturing history and that you don't know very much about auto racing or it's glorious history.

But being misinformed isn't as bad as being unteachable. Everyone, everywhere can learn something everyday. But only those who are open to being taught can receive it. Your mind is closed, so it doesn't matter if this thread is closed or not. Because nothing is getting through anyway.

BeelzeBob
06-23-03, 09:24 AM
A Dodge Shadow can be rice if it's got stickers all over the place, a huge spoiler and you know - all the rest.. So while "rice' may be considered a "Japanese" thing - I don't really think people mean it that way. Anything car can be rice...

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 09:36 AM
Vipers are designed to be performance cars. Corvettes are designed to be performance cars.

An Audi RS6 and a BMW M3 are leading the Speed World GT class. They are ahead of the Corvettes and the Vipers.

Since we all know that the AUDI A6 was designed as a family sedan and the BMW 3-series was designed as a luxury coupe, how much money did it require for them to become 'performance' cars. How much money did it require for them to be competive against car's that were 'designed' to be performance car's from the very beginning?

I won't take you back to the mid '80's when a 'stock chassis' Audi won the championship over purpose built tube framed race cars in the IMSA series.

It doesn't matter on race day what the car's original intent was. On race day it's a race car. All that matters then is that it be competitive. I have much more regard for a company that can make their family car beat a sports car than I do for the sports car that is running in last place.

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:19 AM
An Audi RS6 and a BMW M3 are leading the Speed World GT class. They are ahead of the Corvettes and the Vipers.

Sorry, I don't want to be accused of being biased. :nyanya:

They are also ahead of a many Porsches and the lone Mazda RX-7.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/standings.html

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:36 AM
Even I am enjoying toying with someone who thinks they know a lot about Japan but has failed to prove such in any post here ever.

Ok, who's name and phone numer would you like?
Chief Designer, Design Department, Subaru Development & Engineering Division or Director, Auto Parts Sales Department, Marketing Division, NHK Sales Co. LTD. or Deputy General Manager, Car Accessories Division, Yanase or Managing Director, Tanabe or...

I could keep going through my list of contacts, but I think this is enough to defend myself against your childish, unwarranted and groundless personal attack.

If you'd like, I will give you the e-mail address and phone number for Yoshinori Takeuchi of Borla Japan. He's a very good friend of mine. On my word, he could introduce you to these and many other people. And as you know, in Japan if you are introduced by a Japanese national you have a much better chance of doing business.

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:47 AM
I can also provide you with the name of very nice salesman at Mikimoto in Ginza if you can afford it. :wacky:

scourge
06-23-03, 11:01 AM
Like I said, I love toying with you. You're a highly emotional blowhard who feels he has to parade off a list of names to prove just how great you think you are as though everyone is supposed to be impressed.:helpless: I am most certainly not. You still have not proven you know about life in Japan. But, you have proven you have a fragile ego and will go to great lengths to prove your manhood. You are amusing. You make me laugh - all the while you prance around like a peacock with your chest puffed out. :histeric:

Keep it up. Its obvious you have no idea just how foolish you look taking so seriously postings on an internet BBS.

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 11:06 AM
Like I said, I love toying with you. You're a highly emotional blowhard who feels he has to parade off a list of names to prove just how great you think you are as though everyone is supposed to be impressed.:helpless: I am most certainly not. You still have not proven you know about life in Japan. But, you have proven you have a fragile ego and will go to great lengths to prove your manhood. You are amusing. You make me laugh - all the while you prance around like a peacock with your chest puffed out. :histeric:

Keep it up. Its obvious you have no idea just how foolish you look taking so seriously postings on an internet BBS.

Yea I was wrong in thinking that you were capable of intelligent debate. Now I see that you are just a low life troll.

the Sandman
06-23-03, 11:22 AM
It seems to me that any chance of intelligent discussion in this thread passed about 70 posts ago. Which is not to say that it's not entertaining. :rolleyes:

scourge
06-23-03, 11:30 AM
It seems to me that any chance of intelligent discussion in this thread passed about 70 posts ago. Which is not to say that it's not entertaining.

Its most certainly entertaining. We have an internet addict throwing a temper tantrum because he feels his manhood challenged. What could be more entertaining online that? :banana:

BeelzeBob
06-23-03, 01:58 PM
This discussion is all about opinions. There's no winner to this arguement - there can't be. So why continue argueing? No one will win and no one will lose. It's opinionated. Regardless, there's never a winner to an arguement anyway. The person you're trying to prove wrong will probably continue to think the way he wants to think AND have lost respect for you.

Furthermore, I don't think anybody here feels emotionally positive or negative to either one of you regarding this discussion. I doubt anybody is interested in the outcome at all. The only thing we're interested in knowing is who's going to drop it first - because it really doesn't matter...

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 02:58 PM
Its most certainly entertaining. We have an internet addict throwing a temper tantrum because he feels his manhood challenged. What could be more entertaining online that? :banana:

You couldn't challenge the manhood of my 4 year old nephew, let alone match wits with him troll.

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 03:03 PM
This discussion is all about opinions. There's no winner to this arguement - there can't be. So why continue argueing? No one will win and no one will lose. It's opinionated. Regardless, there's never a winner to an arguement anyway. The person you're trying to prove wrong will probably continue to think the way he wants to think AND have lost respect for you.

Furthermore, I don't think anybody here feels emotionally positive or negative to either one of you regarding this discussion. I doubt anybody is interested in the outcome at all. The only thing we're interested in knowing is who's going to drop it first - because it really doesn't matter...

That's just your opinion. :wacky:

03EscaladeAWD
06-23-03, 04:59 PM
A Dodge Shadow can be rice if it's got stickers all over the place, a huge spoiler and you know - all the rest.. So while "rice' may be considered a "Japanese" thing - I don't really think people mean it that way. Anything car can be rice...
Exactly. Even a Bugatti could be rice. If it has something stating something its not, like a spoiler that states it handles well and it really doesn't, its rice. I've seen many ricer 911s.

03EscaladeAWD
06-23-03, 05:25 PM
Damn, here it goes. A car has a special purpose that can change when it needs to. A family car is a car designed to haul the family and their cargo. Lets say that car a is a 00+ Cheverolet Impala. Lets say the owner wants to race it. He may choose to keep it stock, or turbo its or whatever. If he intends to or acutally races it, it no longer is a family car. It is a race car and until the cars intentions are off racing, it is still a race car. A car is nothing but slabs of metal, rubber, glass, and body put together with an engine placed somewhere in the car designed to turn certain wheels of the car. We can agree with that. Thats how every car is made, thats the way a Honda Civic was made and thats the way a McLaren F1 was made. Some may use different matterials, but regardless they are all just a mixture of the matterials placed on a frame. There are many designs, like sedans, coupes, convertibles, etc.. There are many countries that make these different designs. Just because one country happens to make one car, like Japan, doesn't mean it is incapable of being anything it wants to be. A McLaren F1 can become a Honda Civic if the body was stretched to accomodate the extra seats and if the hood was shortened to hold the Honda's engine. Then change the suspension and transmission, and there, you've got everything the Honda needs to be, which is an econobox. Take the McLaren parts and put it into the Honda, and you've got a performance car. However, the Civic without the McLaren's parts can also be a race, if thats what it is intended for. Here it is in short. Something we can all agree on. A RACE CAR IS ANY CAR THAT IS INTENDED OR USED FOR RACING, REGARDLESS OF ITS ACTUAL PERFORMANCE, RELIABILITY, GAS MILEAGE, WHERE IT WAS BUILT ETC.. IF THE CAR IS INTENDED OR USED FOR RACING, JUST LIKE THE DEFINITION SAYS, ITS A DAMN RACE CAR!!! GOT IT!!?? That car can be a McLaren, a Honda, or an 80 horsepower Suzuki Hatch. If its for racing, its a race car. Which is better, doesn't matter. Any car can be a race car, just like a ricer, commuter car, etc.. If a guy is using his McLaren to get to work every day, its not a race car. Its a commuter car. Its more of a commuter car than a Civic that is being taken to redline and racing another car. The Civic is designed as an econobox, but that doesn't mean it cant race. The McLaren is designed as a performance car, but that doesn't mean it can't commute. Which ever one does something better is a whole different story. :shhh: Don't go into that. (Longest post I ever made on this forum)

AirJigga25
06-23-03, 05:42 PM
I can also provide you with the name of very nice salesman at Mikimoto in Ginza if you can afford it. :wacky:

HOT ROD SAINT IS BAD ASS! THE MAN BRINGS IT AND HE CAN BACK IT UP!

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 07:06 PM
Damn, here it goes. A car has a special purpose that can change when it needs to. A family car is a car designed to haul the family and their cargo. Lets say that car a is a 00+ Cheverolet Impala. Lets say the owner wants to race it. He may choose to keep it stock, or turbo its or whatever. If he intends to or acutally races it, it no longer is a family car. It is a race car and until the cars intentions are off racing, it is still a race car. A car is nothing but slabs of metal, rubber, glass, and body put together with an engine placed somewhere in the car designed to turn certain wheels of the car. We can agree with that. Thats how every car is made, thats the way a Honda Civic was made and thats the way a McLaren F1 was made. Some may use different matterials, but regardless they are all just a mixture of the matterials placed on a frame. There are many designs, like sedans, coupes, convertibles, etc.. There are many countries that make these different designs. Just because one country happens to make one car, like Japan, doesn't mean it is incapable of being anything it wants to be. A McLaren F1 can become a Honda Civic if the body was stretched to accomodate the extra seats and if the hood was shortened to hold the Honda's engine. Then change the suspension and transmission, and there, you've got everything the Honda needs to be, which is an econobox. Take the McLaren parts and put it into the Honda, and you've got a performance car. However, the Civic without the McLaren's parts can also be a race, if thats what it is intended for. Here it is in short. Something we can all agree on. A RACE CAR IS ANY CAR THAT IS INTENDED OR USED FOR RACING, REGARDLESS OF ITS ACTUAL PERFORMANCE, RELIABILITY, GAS MILEAGE, WHERE IT WAS BUILT ETC.. IF THE CAR IS INTENDED OR USED FOR RACING, JUST LIKE THE DEFINITION SAYS, ITS A DAMN RACE CAR!!! GOT IT!!?? That car can be a McLaren, a Honda, or an 80 horsepower Suzuki Hatch. If its for racing, its a race car. Which is better, doesn't matter. Any car can be a race car, just like a ricer, commuter car, etc.. If a guy is using his McLaren to get to work every day, its not a race car. Its a commuter car. Its more of a commuter car than a Civic that is being taken to redline and racing another car. The Civic is designed as an econobox, but that doesn't mean it cant race. The McLaren is designed as a performance car, but that doesn't mean it can't commute. Which ever one does something better is a whole different story. :shhh: Don't go into that. (Longest post I ever made on this forum)

He get's it.

scourge
06-23-03, 08:03 PM
He get's it.

And yet you still don't. This is why you are so amusing with your chest pounding and need to win over such a trivial issue. :rofl:

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 08:56 PM
And yet you still don't. This is why you are so amusing with your chest pounding and need to win over such a trivial issue. :rofl:

Is this a race car troll?
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/aj/2003/030402mday/tc3.jpg

Mad'lac
06-23-03, 09:37 PM
:helpless:

scourge
06-23-03, 09:38 PM
I can't tell. Can you post about 50 more pictures? And, its hard to concentrate with you constantly prancing around and beating your chest. Its highly amusing :rofl: but distracting to the matter at hand.

lux hauler
06-23-03, 09:47 PM
70's Maverick......an econobox in it's day.
http://www.iit.edu/~petebre/maverick/70mav.jpg
70's Maverick.......this one is a race car.
http://www.maverickcometclub.org/norwalk00/peteola70mav.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:00 PM
70's Maverick......an econobox in it's day.
http://www.iit.edu/~petebre/maverick/70mav.jpg
70's Maverick.......this one is a race car.
http://www.maverickcometclub.org/norwalk00/peteola70mav.jpg

Another one who gets it.

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:02 PM
I can't tell. Can you post about 50 more pictures? And, its hard to concentrate with you constantly prancing around and beating your chest. Its highly amusing :rofl: but distracting to the matter at hand.

Hey troll, is this a race car?
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/mw/030421r12_mon/mn1.jpg

scourge
06-23-03, 11:16 PM
I dunno child. Got 49 more pics? :rofl:

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 11:53 PM
I dunno child. Got 49 more pics? :rofl:

I'll make it easy for you troll. Is this a race car?
http://policecanada.ca/NYSP10.jpg

scourge
06-24-03, 12:00 AM
48 more! :rofl:

Mad'lac
06-24-03, 02:10 AM
Now that Maverick is an awesome car :burn:

Ralph
06-24-03, 02:21 AM
Yeah, didn't they make a Comet GT, they were kinda cool, boring interior though.

Rice comes from Asia, so do ricer cars! Don't degrade your homemade AMERICAN cars by calling them rice!!!!!!! :tisk:

scourge
06-24-03, 02:58 AM
American rice is refered to as "oatmeal." European rice is alled "sauerkraut."

Katshot
06-24-03, 08:31 AM
It drives me nuts that everybody feels the need to "catagorize" these things.

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 08:37 AM
48 more! :rofl:

Ok troll, I guess I should start at your level of comprehension. Is this a race car?
http://aasbd.org/image/98ak8.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 08:40 AM
It drives me nuts that everybody feels the need to "catagorize" these things.

Why did you choose to put your feelings in the 'nuts' category and not 'bonkers'? :wacky:

scourge
06-24-03, 10:08 AM
47 more. You going to go all the way? And you're a grown man? :rofl:

AirJigga25
06-24-03, 10:48 AM
This post is getting out of control. It is fun to sit back and watch. Here's my 2 cents. I don't like Honda Civics. I don't mind the V6 honda accord coupes from about 2000 though. I like the 97-98 Nissan Maximas with a little low profile aftermarket work done on them. I love Acura 3.5RLs. I also like Lexus. I don't think these are bad cars and deserve to be made fun of. However, I hate the fart cans, the spoilers, and the stickers. I wish they would do their cars tastefully.

Nevertheless, I will always go with the American car if I can. I hope to get an Old's Aurora after my Caddy Seville. I also want a GMC truck. Screw Ford. One of these days once I have a nice 3 car garage I'll get a bunch of toys. I'm going to make them all into race/sports cars.

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 10:58 AM
47 more. You going to go all the way? And you're a grown man? :rofl:

Yes, and you're a troll.

scourge
06-24-03, 11:45 AM
Oooooooooooooooh its just killing you to make sure that you get the last word in. :rofl: You claim to have lived in Japan at one time so I assume you were military. Were you a professional bullet catcher by chance? Catch one too many in the head?

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 11:56 AM
Oooooooooooooooh its just killing you to make sure that you get the last word in. :rofl: You claim to have lived in Japan at one time so I assume you were military. Were you a professional bullet catcher by chance? Catch one too many in the head?

My, my. Such a wonderfull display of intellect and maturity from the little Troll.

scourge
06-24-03, 12:15 PM
And yet you keep coming back to get the final word. :rofl: What, you're already a MOD. No need to pad your post count. So, you going to make this the longest thread here with more of your macho prancing?

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 12:53 PM
And yet you keep coming back to get the final word. :rofl: What, you're already a MOD. No need to pad your post count. So, you going to make this the longest thread here with more of your macho prancing?

As long as the Troll continues to display his intellect, I will continue to provide him the forum he deserves. :thumbsup:

BeelzeBob
06-24-03, 01:12 PM
I think I hate it most when I see a V-tec sticker on a Saturn... I saw that a few weeks ago. Or, somebody puts a 5.0 insignia on a Jetta.. Stuff like that I find ridiculous... That's rice...

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 01:25 PM
I think I hate it most when I see a V-tec sticker on a Saturn... I saw that a few weeks ago. Or, somebody puts a 5.0 insignia on a Jetta.. Stuff like that I find ridiculous... That's rice...

I saw a 5.0 badge on a Miata once, and guess what? Well let's just say it was a Monster and not rice.

scourge
06-24-03, 08:05 PM
As long as the Troll continues to display his intellect, I will continue to provide him the forum he deserves.

SInce you insist on acting like a child, I will treat you as such. Now, where are all those pictures.....and your point? :rofl:

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 09:14 PM
SInce you insist on acting like a child, I will treat you as such. Now, where are all those pictures.....and your point? :rofl:

Rather than having an intelligent discussion in this thread, you resorted to attacking my credibility. You implied that I couldn't know anything about Japanese race cars, because I've never been to Japan.

Assuming that you were correct, which you were not, couldn't the knowledge of a Japanese race car easily be learned from magazines, books and on the internet?

When I addressed your false assumption so we could get back to the topic, you questioned my integrity. I'm sorry, but I never questioned your integrity, just your facts. When I addressed that, you began to call me names.

This debate tactic was a sign of intellectual weakness. I should have let it go then. But I smelled blood. You were on the ropes, and I wanted the knock-out punch. I should have just let it be a draw.

For the past 2 days you have continued to call me various names. All I have done is ask you one simple question, "Is this a race car?" I really don't know why that is difficult to answer?

In this long drawn out process, you have confirmed, by your actions and your words, that you are a troll who has no desire to partake in intelligent discussions on this board or make positive contributions. So far, your two visits here have only been catalysts for two endless arguments.

For me, neither of these was about being right. It's about people backing up the statements they make. It's about intellectual honesty. Both of your statement were false and both times you couldn't back them up or back down.

In this discussion, I wasn't even looking for an answer. I was just pointing out the obvious in your statement that 'no matter how much you spend on a Civic, it won't be a race car'.

I will shake hands and end this now. I will never attempt to engage you in a discussion again. You can accept this, or you call me yet another name to satisfy your ego. Either way, I think it best that I ignore you.

scourge
06-24-03, 09:29 PM
Your words are hollow due to your actions. I never said you knew nothing about Japan, only that you don't know as much as you think you do. You also took my statement out of context and you smelled blood? Dude, you NEED some perspective. Fighting to "win" and arguement online is a sign of either a weak mind or a lack of emotional control. As for ignoring me, I can live with that. I haven't taken your shit seriously in a very long time.

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 09:37 PM
Hotrodsaint, I see you are still compteley obtuse about Japan.
<edit>
Stop trying to make points about Japan that you have no concept of.

Out of curiousity, and with no anymosity, how would you have read those sentences? I'm not asking you how you intended it to sound, but how would you ,as the party addressed, read it?

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 09:40 PM
Dude, you NEED some perspective. Fighting to "win" and arguement online is a sign of either a weak mind or a lack of emotional control.

That does sound a little phsyco now that I reread it! :devillaug

I guess I was going for creativity.

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 09:42 PM
Your words are hollow due to your actions.

Then it's a draw. Now we both need to rebuild our credibility with each other. :cheers:

scourge
06-24-03, 09:43 PM
a little? :basketcas

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 09:52 PM
a little? :basketcas

Yes, a little. Ya gotta give some latitude here! :banghead2

Katshot
06-24-03, 11:34 PM
Alright ladies, kiss and make-up for Christ's sake already. This is getting SO BORING.
You're both obviously intelligent guys that SHOULD have better things to do than bait each other here.

scourge
06-25-03, 12:57 AM
But, its only 114 posts now. Whats the record here? Lets blow it away.

DeVillish
06-25-03, 01:53 AM
ok, someone should say it.....CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!? And really, your BOTH right. scourge said that "THE" civic isnt a race car, its an econbox, and thats a fact. Hotrodsaint said that "A" civic can be a racecar, and thats true, he posted enough pics to show that :) So really all that was over two little words, THE and A.

Blackout
06-25-03, 07:48 AM
Damn I don't post for a few days and I come back to this? Well I will help out HotRodSaint's argument here and try to make this thread go to 7 pages :)

Is this a race car?
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/Team%20RTR%20Spec%20V.jpg
This is team RTR's Spec V. Nismo helped them put it together and is currently running in the SCCA racing circuit.

scourge
06-25-03, 08:02 AM
47 more pics! YEEEEEHAAAAAAW! Page seven. :banana: We made it.

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:26 AM
So really all that was over two little words, THE and A.

So your sayin' this whole episode is Bill Clintons fault? It all depends on the meaning of 'the'?

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:35 AM
This is a race car.

Can anyone tell what that yellow car behind it is? This couldn't be a picture of a 4-door V6 family sedan kicking a V8's sports cars a$$ could it? Or worse! It's a 'Merican car getting wooped by one of them there foriegn jalopies. :shocked:

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/events/R01Sebring/03-wc-seb-1.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:37 AM
Ok, here's picture of the 4th place street car turned race car. This is for those who can't stand to see them there foreign jalopies woop a$$.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/events/R01Sebring/03-wc-seb-16.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:38 AM
This photo says it all. :eek:

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/events/R01Sebring/03-wc-seb-53.jpg

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:42 AM
Ok where it really counts, ALMS, the 'Mericans have their act together in the GTS class.

http://www.americanlemans.com/gallery/sebringPhotos/4EED1973.JPG

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:47 AM
But where it really matters, Audi is still in front and looking really good too.

http://www.americanlemans.com/gallery/sebringPhotos/18sebr35.jpg

BeelzeBob
06-25-03, 09:14 AM
This would have been so perfect for www.masterdebating.com

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 09:17 AM
This would have been so perfect for www.masterdebating.com

Are you trying to get the embers bruning again?! :banghead2

BeelzeBob
06-25-03, 09:21 AM
No, just trying to gauge interest in my ole Master Debating idea. You know.. Maybe one day we'll here someone on CNN say, "according to a poll at masterdebating.com......." :D

Katshot
06-25-03, 05:26 PM
No, just trying to gauge interest in my ole Master Debating idea. You know.. Maybe one day we'll here someone on CNN say, "according to a poll at masterdebating.com......." :D
Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes:

the Sandman
06-25-03, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of the fella in my High School, last name Beyda. For 4 years every student and many teachers called him Master Beyda - wonder if he ever developed a complex...

True story. Also, Tim Robbins, the actor, was in my class. I was on the stage crew so I occasionally worked the spotlights or sound for him when he was on stage (who knew?).

Blackout
06-25-03, 05:50 PM
True story. Also, Tim Robbins, the actor, was in my class. I was on the stage crew so I occasionally worked the spotlights or sound for him when he was on stage (who knew?).
WTF this has to do with this topic is beyond me. But thats cool to know anyways! While were on the subject of famous kids we went to school with....here is my buddy who planned out senior trip. Look how good he is doing after high school! http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/13/phony.airline.ap/index.html

the Sandman
06-25-03, 06:08 PM
WTF this has to do with this topic is beyond me. But thats cool to know anyways!You kind of answered your own question there. Just happened to think of it while reminiscing about the young Master Beyda and figured I'd throw it in. This *is* the Lounge after all? :D

BTW, Tim Robbins showed up at the 20 year reunion with Susan Sarandon in '96 and they hung out like regular folks - made me wish I woulda gone...

ultravorx
06-27-03, 01:58 PM
Here is the statement to end all ricers.

HotRodSaint
06-27-03, 03:08 PM
Here is the statement to end all ricers.

I don't know about you, but I'd hate to be beaten by a retarded kid.

After you loose you'd have to ask yourself, is it me who's really the retarded kid?

Not good, nope not good at all.

ljklaiber
06-27-03, 05:32 PM
All I know is this is one fine site that has me ROFLMAO more than any ohter. I have become a believer in the young guys . They will not let anyone crap on them and have a damn fine sense of humor. Hand Salute!

Blackout
06-30-03, 11:44 PM
Well with racing a retarded kid its a no win situation. If you win you get bashed on for beating up on a retarded kid, if you lose you get laughed at for getting beat by one. It just sux either way! :helpless:

elwesso
07-01-03, 12:56 AM
This is my first post in this thread...... And I must say I regret the time I wasted reading all those pages....... This really hasnt stayed on topic....... If i split it, it will just clutter the lounge with more crap, if I close it someone will start a new thread......

I really cant believe that something so trivial can be debated so fervently...... On something like this <where no one is technically right>, cant you just say you have your own opinion and stick to it, and not waste bandwidth....... :rolleyes:

scourge
07-01-03, 02:34 AM
cant you just say you have your own opinion and stick to it, and not waste bandwidth.......

But, then the entertainment is lost, we don't have seven...SEVEN pages (a record here I think), or would I have won the most useless poster award. I ain't giving that back for anything. :bouncy:

Blackout
07-01-03, 01:14 PM
Bandwidth!? We don't need no stinkin' bandwidth!

elwesso
07-01-03, 03:09 PM
Sorry bud, but in like Jan. we had a thread of completely useless discussion, it went on for 10pages!!!!

Blackout
07-01-03, 04:33 PM
Well lets keep on going!!!!

Blackout
07-01-03, 04:33 PM
HAHAHA!!! 8 pages!!! :farting:

Infamous Lac
07-01-03, 04:58 PM
Well there went 45 mins that I wish I had back. :confused:

Elvis
07-01-03, 05:45 PM
Die, Rice Thread, Die!!!

AirJigga25
07-01-03, 06:03 PM
Die, Rice Thread, Die!!!

I'm gonna have me some rice tonight, maybe a little sauteed chicken on top. I'm outta here. Happy July 4th to all you American loving peoples out there.

scourge
07-01-03, 09:01 PM
I had some rice yesterday, twice in fact. I had tofu chanpuru for lunch and some Chinese food over rice last night. Hmmmm, I wonder what I'll have with rice today?

Katshot
07-01-03, 11:18 PM
I had some rice yesterday, twice in fact. I had tofu chanpuru for lunch and some Chinese food over rice last night. Hmmmm, I wonder what I'll have with rice today?

TOFU??
You just LOST what reputation you had with me ;)

banstyle
07-01-03, 11:21 PM
I wonder what I'll have with rice today?

More rice!

I do say, this has been one entertaining thread!
The monkey, however, disagrees.

http://www.banstyle.com/evilmonkey.gif

scourge
07-02-03, 06:37 AM
TOFU??
You just LOST what reputation you had with me

Hey, Okinawa people know how to cook with it. Chanpuru comes with beef strips in it too. I ain't no vegatarian, but its chep healthy food and these people know how to cook it right. I love it in beef stew...over rice of course. :cheers:

Katshot
07-02-03, 08:37 AM
Hey, Okinawa people know how to cook with it. Chanpuru comes with beef strips in it too. I ain't no vegatarian, but its chep healthy food and these people know how to cook it right. I love it in beef stew...over rice of course. :cheers:

BEEF? You THINK it's beef ;)
Where do you get beef in Japan? Oh yeah, the McDonald's!
Not a whole lot of cows in Japan I'm sure.

scourge
07-02-03, 09:54 AM
BEEF? You THINK it's beef ;)
Where do you get beef in Japan? Oh yeah, the McDonald's!
Not a whole lot of cows in Japan I'm sure.

Actually, Ishigaki beef here is famous all over Japan and cost a shit load of money - like $20 for one steak. In fact, a lot of Kobe beef uses cattle from Ishigaki. The inexpensive beef comes from Australia and New Zealand and I always get excited when I see a shipment of US beef on the shelf. Now, its not USDA Prime IMO, but I don't live in Fukuoka, Osaka/Kobe, or Tokyo so I can't just go to Costco to get real USDA beef. At least with the US presence since the end of WWII, Okinawas know how cook with some real flavor. In Okinawa, SPAM is god.

shaggygrosser
07-02-03, 10:37 AM
More rice!

I do say, this has been one entertaining thread!
The monkey, however, disagrees.

http://www.banstyle.com/evilmonkey.gif

Awesome! It's the evil monkey from the Family Guy. Love that show

banstyle
07-02-03, 05:06 PM
Awesome! It's the evil monkey from the Family Guy. Love that show

OMG. Glad to have found another fan! :cheers:

I think it's the best show on TV (or at least was..) I collect episodes on my computer, watch it all the time.

AirJigga25
07-02-03, 05:29 PM
OMG. Glad to have found another fan! :cheers:

I think it's the best show on TV (or at least was..) I collect episodes on my computer, watch it all the time.

I like the evil baby!

Mad'lac
07-02-03, 08:47 PM
I'll stick to "The King of the Hill"

"My name is Rusty B. Shackleford"

Night Wolf
07-02-03, 09:58 PM
I don't like King Of the Hill

Simpsons and Futurama are the best.

elwesso
07-03-03, 12:55 AM
Simpsons all the way!!!

AirJigga25
07-03-03, 09:19 AM
Simpsons all the way!!!

Yeah, Simpson is the all time king of cartoon comedy. King of the hill...for lack of a better word, blows. Family guy is ridiculously funny...
Homer should drive a caddy.

ultravorx
07-03-03, 09:34 AM
homer invented a car that "kinda" looks like a caddy. It was the pink bubble car! :D

Frank

AirJigga25
07-03-03, 10:09 AM
Rice Testimonial!
This is too funny...I'm driving over near the fleet center in boston the other day and I see this early 90's blue accord with 3 things added to it. A fart can muffler, window tint, and a giant Honda sticker across the back window. Hmmm...but something didn't seem right. Then I was like, That MORON PUT HIS BIG HONDA STICKER UPSIDE DOWN!! It was too funny. I was practically crying. And he was still driving it around like that!! Oh man...lmao!!

http://store3.yimg.com/I/xtremedecalzz_1716_2748926

^ turn this upside down

Elvis
07-03-03, 11:36 AM
Hank Hill is my role model.

I think that show falls under the category of "regional humor." If you haven't known people like that, it's probably not funny.

They've done a good job of capturing the essence of the "heterosexual southern white male" and how he reacts to this society. It's probably over a lot of people's heads.

shaggygrosser
07-03-03, 12:04 PM

I think that show falls under the category of "regional humor." If you haven't known people like that, it's probably not funny.

They've done a good job of capturing the essence of the "heterosexual southern white male" and how he reacts to this society. It's probably over a lot of people's heads.

Very true, I grew up in central Texas, near Austin, and that show really hits home. It's funny because it's true. :rofl:

shaggygrosser
07-03-03, 12:11 PM
Rice Testimonial!
This is too funny...I'm driving over near the fleet center in boston the other day and I see this early 90's blue accord with 3 things added to it. A fart can muffler, window tint, and a giant Honda sticker across the back window. Hmmm...but something didn't seem right. Then I was like, That MORON PUT HIS BIG HONDA STICKER UPSIDE DOWN!! It was too funny. I was practically crying. And he was still driving it around like that!! Oh man...lmao!!

^ turn this upside down

that's hilarious! I'm putting this on my back window:

Mad'lac
07-03-03, 04:23 PM

Thats exactly why I like the show. I am surrounded by these folks everyday. For me Futurama blows and the Network agrees cause it's dead and gone. Simpson is a good show but the same joke get lame after awhile. Lets meet Homer's love child with another woman the Marge did not know about.

Blackout
07-03-03, 06:59 PM
Rice Testimonial!

^ turn this upside down
Ummm....I don't get it. The Honda symbol is right. Here http://www.honda.com/ I guess the American Honda has their symbol upside down also then?? :confused:

scourge
07-03-03, 11:10 PM
King of the Hill has its moments but all too often is boring. Family Guy ROCKS! It should have been on Comedy Cnetral to start with. Clerks suffered the same fate being corporate. ANyone else notince that Ren and Stimpy return on TNN?!?!

Ralph
07-03-03, 11:17 PM
Beavis and Butthead all the way baby! Actually, people let their kids watch Simpsons, and that's cool. but it is really an adult Satire meant for adults. I've never seen Futurerama but I hear it is like a futuristic Simpsons. :bulging:

Katshot
07-04-03, 09:37 AM
How the hell did this thread get turned into a commentary on CARTOONS?

Ralph
07-04-03, 10:02 PM

Isn't that all you Yanks do on the 4th of July? :p

scourge
07-05-03, 12:46 AM

Life is like a cartoon. And, many cartoons are drawn in sweat shops in Korea. Koreans eat rice. It all goes together maaaaaaaaan.

Katshot
07-05-03, 09:18 AM
Life is like a cartoon. And, many cartoons are drawn in sweat shops in Korea. Koreans eat rice. It all goes together maaaaaaaaan.
:histeric:

MMNineInchNails
07-05-03, 06:02 PM
Ok, I just joined this board and I was reading the beginning of this thread (about ricers) and my idea of RICE or ricer is a japenesse modified car with the exhaust, lowering springs, occational wing, body kits, really annoying. I call a modified American car "Blown" or "decked out" whatever you want to call it, but an American car is not RICE!!! Japenesse engines cannot compare to the great power that can be pushed out of an american car. A stock Japenesse car is not RICE, it's economical. I understand that some kids can only afford Hondas, but I hate the kids who think it's the fastest car ever. Hondas were made to be fuel efficient, economical cars, Not race cars.

banstyle
07-05-03, 06:54 PM
Japenesse engines cannot compare to the great power that can be pushed out of an american car.

Yowsa! The napalm's gonna fly again! Duck and cover! :hammer:

King of the Hill has it's moments- I'll still watch it from time to time if the Simpsons are coming on and I'm too lazy to click the remote. :bulging:

Another great cartoon is Mission Hill. only 1 season was made, its on Adult Swim from time to time. Very adult humour. :sneaky:

Mad'lac
07-05-03, 09:30 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wieckjoe/myfiles/Videos/omega.mpeg

Think he got what he deserved?

scourge
07-05-03, 11:35 PM
Japenesse engines cannot compare to the great power that can be pushed out of an american car.

You say that like they give shit. Outside the US there are these things called curves where power is nothing without control. The world knows US engines are fast in the 1/4 mile but since thats only one facet of a car's and driver's ability, big deal.

Mad'lac, that video is funny as hell! I've done burnouts but always out in the country here with no one else around who could get hurt. People were crossing the street for god's sake!

Ralph
07-05-03, 11:51 PM
In a drag race on the street, who cares about curves. If referring to the American musclecar Era (1964-'74), the original musclecar era, that will never be duplicated again in history. A 4000 pound car with 400 HP that cost around 4,000 dollars! Lets see the Japs or any other country match that! The thing is that we all should respect these cars because they started it all. Yeah things have changed now and there are all types of racing, but when you get down to it, in North America, it is still a good DRAG RACE that proves the winners from the losers.

I totally agree with 9inch, when you have a bigger engine to start with (American) in theory, you should be able to draw more power out of it. I also think the last Trans Am's and Camaro's were pretty good handling cars. My buddy had an old Iroc, and it could take a city turn at 50 kph with not much lean or roll. Try that on my Grand Marquis and I will scrape the doors.

Elvis
07-05-03, 11:59 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wieckjoe/myfiles/Videos/omega.mpeg

Think he got what he deserved?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

elwesso
07-06-03, 12:43 AM
:rofl: :histeric:

Funny stuff..... What an idiot...... What kind of car was that, a BMW??

I really dont care if they can make a 400hp 4banger, I would rather have that 400hp in a big 454!!!!

scourge
07-06-03, 12:56 AM
In the USA...thats the thing. American cars were so one dimensional. Its well known that US motors pump out a lot of horsepower and can be fast in the 1/4 mile. Its amusing to see Americans whooping up and down about it all the time. Nobody gives a shit outside the USA just like nobody gives a shit about NASCRAP redeneck-round-about racing outside the US. Generally speaking, outside the US sports cars are about handling and power. Its about challenging the car and the driver.

Drag racing is drop your right foot and keep it straight. Its fun for awhile but not nearly as challenging as orner carving mountain roads. So, American power may forever be ahead of the "Japs" I can tell you that they don't give a shit. I can also tell you that there are hoardes of Japanese American car fanatics over here who worship USDM cars. I don't see the slack jawed yokel xenophobe anti-American car guys over here like I saw back home having a ridiculous hatred of Japanese performance cars (the Civic does not count as a Japanese performance car).

As for the dipshit doing donuts on a public street with people around, it seems to be a previous generation Opel Omega. I would think so due to the video's title.

MMNineInchNails
07-06-03, 01:02 AM
I have great respect for good japenesse cars, but I hate ricers with their honda cars. I'd take a 350Z any day and I love 300zxs too. Nissan is a very good sports car provider. I also have great respect for the old Mitsubishi Starions (probably the one and only japenesse muscle car) with their torquy truck engines and turbos and rear wheel drive. There are good japenesse cars, I'm talking about ricers with their honda cars that are rediculas.

scourge
07-06-03, 01:12 AM
I have great respect for good japenesse cars, but I hate ricers with their honda cars.

FOR REAL! I know what you mean. Hondas aren't anything over here in the performance world. I bought my Skyline for less than $3500USD. I could have bought a Civic for more money for less performance. Civics are generally considered a "girls" car over here...not totally, but in general. I had a grandmother surprised when I told here that young American boys worship the Civic in the US and try to race them. She asked me why young men would be so in terested in a girl's car!!!

I also know Honda guys and even they hate the Honda ricers out there.

The 350Z is nice. I got to test drive a Fairlady Z over here with just me and my girlfriend....NO DEALER telling me to slow down! Not a bad car but the style is taking some time to grow on me. The twin turbo kit developed for the 350Z has instantly grown on me. A Conquest/Starion has been known to surprise many people. But then, it is RWD unlike a Civic. Now, the one Honda I do like is the Del Sol. One could swap a b20 and AWD from a CRV into one. It wouldn't be the fastest car out there, but it would be fun. Ricers ruin the Honda name for everyone.

scourge
07-06-03, 01:13 AM
PAGE 10! I knew we could do it! :banana:

Mad'lac
07-06-03, 12:13 PM
I like the Del Sol also. I just won't go out and pay the amount of money some folks are asking. IMHO I think Nissan makes the best sport cars around. The first one I liked was the Nissan Pulsar Turbo Hatchback. Saw it in a Jackie Chan movie and when I went to England a few yrs back my buddy(in the Army) had one and let me drive it. Now that was a pocket rocket! Damn thing was more fun to drive than my Mustang!!! Now my fav. is the Silvia coupe from 89-93.

Elvis
07-06-03, 12:19 PM
I'll take a small-block American V8 any day. I loved the 289 I had in my '64 Ranchero. The GM 305 and 307 were both great engines, too.

Back to the rice debate, I'm willing to just let it go as "a challenge is still a challenge" whether you're trying to get the most out of a 4-banger, or a Cadillac 500. It's all internal combustion, all gasoline-powered, all 4 wheels on pavement.

The problem we have with ricers is the ignorance and lack of respect. I can appreciate what they've accomplished, they should show the same courtesy.

MMNineInchNails
07-06-03, 03:06 PM
Not all teenagers in the US love hondas. I'm 16 and I hate them. I'm into the pure american muscle. I was going to save up for a '69 camaro and drop in a blown 396 until i found my '70 deville and desided I'd be the best at the moment. I have a lot of friends that don't like hondas, I have a lot of friends that love their hondas, and i have a friend that hates his civic.

scourge
07-06-03, 10:47 PM
Damn thing was more fun to drive than my Mustang!!! Now my fav. is the Silvia coupe from 89-93.

Niiiice. Its just too hard to drift old muscle cars. 400hp Silvias are nice in the straights and can drift like a mofo!

Mad'lac
07-06-03, 11:00 PM
Niiiice. Its just too hard to drift old muscle cars. 400hp Silvias are nice in the straights and can drift like a mofo!

Drifting is something new to me but I know I'll like it. I'm a car guy down to the bone. I enjoy going fast in a straight line but also enjoy hugging them corners at speed. Autocross gotten boring to me and so has drag racing. It don't really matter what you drive so long as you enjoy it and its fun to drive. Some guy down here is selling a 93 240SX coupe for a $1000. I'm thinking about buying it and turning it into a Silvia. The thing that is stopping me is that I'm not sure how much it'll cost to convert it and I don't know anyone in Japan to check out the parts or get me the parts I need. I know that the import shops out here are charging 3x as much as what it cost them to buy the front end and to ship it here. That and I don't have loads of income to build the car out in 1 month.

elwesso
07-06-03, 11:03 PM
Try ol' Scourge!!!

AirJigga25
07-06-03, 11:42 PM
Ummm....I don't get it. The Honda symbol is right. Here http://www.honda.com/ I guess the American Honda has their symbol upside down also then?? :confused:

read much? look under the picture where it says ^turn this upside down.

scourge
07-07-03, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't mind helping out, but I have a similar problem. I live on a small island 1000 miles south of Osaka yet only 170 miles east of Taiwan. Getting cheap parts for my Skyline is just as much a real bitch for me as it is for most people in the USA. Even shipping bits me in the ass down here. My friends up on Okinawa help out as much as they can, but its still tough due to shipping costs.

You can try http://www.srswap.com but I would recommend www.freshalloy.com and maybe http://www.240sxforums.com/ to find out about quality distributors for JDM Nissan stuff in the USA. You can try EBAY and I have seen more s13 half-cuts lately. If you got the first generation 240SX, you could swap the S13 front end on and have your own S13 Silvia or if you got the hatch, you could make your own sil80.

SR20DET powered Silvias/240SXs are really nice cars when hte have the suspension setup as well.

Check out some conversions on EBAY (that are not rice):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422334379&category=6396

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421863540&category=6396

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421951038&category=6396

Half-cuts and engines:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422501348&category=33615

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421837384&category=33615

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422160995&category=33615

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421901726&category=33615

------------------

Hmmmmmm, I wonder just how hard it would be to drift a Catera with a Northstar and 5-speed conversion? :devil:

Mad'lac
07-07-03, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the reply!! Yeah I swear they just get rich off bending us over for the shipping cost. I'm gonna look at the 240 tomorrow. I would like to swap the whole front end for a Silvia look while I swap the engine in.

scourge
07-07-03, 12:52 AM
yeah, I want to keep my Skyline but I just cannot justify paying $1200 to ship it from my island up to Okinawa and from Okinawa up to Osaka.:shocked: Getting parts shipped down to me has been expensive too. I've stopped upgrading it simply because iof how much it will cost me to ship to Osaka and I'm selling it. I have to sell it...not that I want to. :disappoin

Elvis
07-08-03, 04:02 PM
I couldn't let this thread die just yet. Here's some humor!

MMNineInchNails
07-08-03, 04:22 PM
lol those are good.

MMNineInchNails
07-08-03, 04:26 PM
check out this one: http://www.scsot.com/wrx/vtecpower.gif

Elvis
07-08-03, 05:30 PM
check out this one: http://www.scsot.com/wrx/vtecpower.gif

"be original, just like your friends..."

I LOVE IT! :histeric:

banstyle
07-08-03, 08:48 PM
nice ones Elvis! cowgirl power! w00t. (-;

Blackout
07-11-03, 03:06 PM
read much? look under the picture where it says ^turn this upside down.
Oh now I get it. I thought the picture was off of the guys car you were talking about. My bad

Night Wolf
07-12-03, 10:26 PM
Not all teenagers in the US love hondas. I'm 16 and I hate them. I'm into the pure american muscle. I was going to save up for a '69 camaro and drop in a blown 396 until i found my '70 deville and desided I'd be the best at the moment. I have a lot of friends that don't like hondas, I have a lot of friends that love their hondas, and i have a friend that hates his civic.

Wow, I think that is great, a fellow 16 year old, but with a '70 Sedan DeVille..... damn.....makes me want one :) that has the 472 right? mmmmm 375hp and 525 ft lbs. of tourqe....

Well, for now I have my '93 Coupe DeVille, I would love to get a '89 Brougham and drop a 500 in it though :D

MMNineInchNails
07-13-03, 01:27 AM
yep, it's got the 472 in it.

MMNineInchNails
07-29-03, 04:35 PM
This is some funny stuff.

http://www.pbase.com/gone_turbo/rice

elwesso
07-29-03, 04:44 PM
:histeric: :rolleyes: :histeric: :helpless:

Katshot
07-29-03, 05:11 PM
:histeric: :rolleyes: :histeric: :helpless:

What he said!!

MMNineInchNails
07-29-03, 07:18 PM
We're up to 11 pages now. We should get it up another 10. haha.

Blackout
07-30-03, 02:05 AM
You think thats good check out this hot Mustang!!
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice1.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice2.jpg

MMNineInchNails
07-30-03, 02:06 AM
wow, that's uber gay.

Mad'lac
07-30-03, 10:22 AM
You think thats good check out this hot Mustang!!
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice1.jpg
http://gallery.thevboard.com/users/FastSpecV/rice2.jpg

Thats totally criminal what was done to that 'Stang:crying2::vomit: Someone please shoot the guy who did that!!!!

Elvis
07-30-03, 11:25 AM
My cat barfed something up that was that color. I think she ate a lizard or something.

AirJigga25
07-30-03, 11:39 AM
My cat barfed something up that was that color. I think she ate a lizard or something.

the car i raced a while back was about that but ugly...and it had a more disgusting spoiler than you can imagine. ha...

03EscaladeAWD
07-30-03, 11:44 AM
Yeah its missin a spoiler. If your gonna go rice, might as well go all out. If you hadn't told me that was a stang, I woulda thought that was some Japanese econobox.

AirJigga25
08-12-03, 10:56 AM
Jokes

You Know You're A Riceboy If..

... you find yourself using the excuse "yo, but you gots twice as many cylindas, dude" after EVERY race

... you drive a 4 door 'type R'

... you have stickers that even most asians dont get

... you have stickers for parts you dont have

... you refer to 50hp as the 'big shot'

... your car has so much camber it can drive on its side

... when you drive by, WWII veterans run for shelter

... your exhaust tip diameter is 4 times the inner muffler diameter

... you have 'power by' anything anywhere on a car made by the engine manufacturer

... birds make nests on your spoiler because its taller than the trees

... you sell crack for the image...not the money

... you have 'N/T' polished on the side of car and you dont know what bracket racing is

... you will only race if the other guy removes four sparkplugs

... you can't race uphills

... you have "All Motor" emblazoned on your rear hatch right next to your 14.50 dial in

... you brag to have nitrous and have a 14.50 dial in

... your exhaust system for your 1.8L is bigger than most Pro-stock cars

... you spent more money on stickers and stripes than your parents paid for your car

... you go to a performance shop and immediately start rummaging through the decal bin

... your tach is bigger than your head

... you have a shiftlight and your car is an automatic

... you refuse to race because it's a "show car"

... your only mods are cut factory springs and a 5" chrome exhaust tip

... at Autocross events you don't participate because you have a drag race setup and at drag events you brag about kicking ass on the autocross.

... your exhaust sounds like a dying Moose

... you have more lights on the front of your car than the USS Voyager

... you brag about a turbo kit that never seems to get installed.

... your bright green $300 air filter is bigger than your engine.
:D

Katshot
08-12-03, 11:39 AM
Funny Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

davesdeville
08-21-03, 11:08 PM
To sum it all up:

Rice is a car that's meant to look fast, but doesn't perform.

Whether you like rice cars or not is up to you, and I couldn't care less. If you have a GTO, and it gets beat by a modified Civic, the Civic won and too damn bad. If you have a GTO, and you race a rice Civic, you don't need to worry about the Civic winning.

STSFreak
08-30-03, 12:41 AM
You all crak me up with the making fun of the "rice". Thanks for a good laugh.

Katshot
08-30-03, 10:02 AM
Nice to see you back STSFreak.

AirJigga25
09-04-03, 02:39 PM
You all crak me up with the making fun of the "rice". Thanks for a good laugh.
http://www.ricecop.com/ricepics/frankencivic-2.jpg

this is a great site. www.ricecop.com Give someone you know a ticket today!

Headlock01
11-09-03, 04:05 PM
I am looking for some V-Tech stickers for my car. Does anyone know how i can get some. Let me know. thanks.

MMNineInchNails
11-09-03, 05:27 PM
I am looking for some V-Tech stickers for my car. Does anyone know how i can get some. Let me know. thanks.

Um no.... Maybe you should ask the folks at honda forums.

Elvis
11-09-03, 05:40 PM
V-Tech makes cheap telephones.

Blackout
11-09-03, 06:48 PM
Are you for real dude? :confused: But I want to know what is V-TECH? Because Honda has V-TEC not V-TECH :rolleyes: But www.clubsi.com would be a good place to start looking at

elwesso
11-09-03, 07:54 PM
Hey..... Dont be dissin' V-tech..... thats what kind of phone I have...... :D

Blackout
11-09-03, 09:15 PM
And I am sure it is a fine piece of mobile phone technology. But if you had a motorola like mwah does then that would be even better ;)

elwesso
11-09-03, 09:45 PM
Im not talking sell phones, im talking wired (but cordless) home phones......

Elvis
11-09-03, 11:24 PM
I don't have a Caddy, but one thing I do have is genuine V-TEC. At about 5200 RPM, I get this really cool kick in the pants.

It feels kind of like a turbo, but more pronounced when it hits. The turbo on our Volvo kicks in more slowly, and doesn't die down, it just keeps building.

Kels55
01-12-05, 11:04 AM
The true meaning of "RICE" comes from "riceburner" which is a reference to the sound that a 4-banger aftermarket exhaust makes, which sounds exactly like the sound of rice fring (Spanish style fried rice).

However, I think of "RICE" as the installation of non-performance parts (sticker, most spoilers, most exhaust on 4 bangers, etc) to give the impression of a high performance vehicle.

Now I admit that I am "Old-School" in that I believe that high performance vehicles are no smaller than a V6. Meaning, I don't believe that a 4-banger should be compared to any "real" high performance vehicle. But if the 4-banger can be modded to produce more power and actually perform better than stock, than I believe that there is a place for them on the race track. I mean look at a go-kart for example. If you mod it to produce more power than it is no longer a kids toy but can now be raced on Kart courses across the country for money. But that by no means makes it a Formula1 car. A modded 4-banger can be raced on courses for money, but by no means do they produce the kind of power or top speed that a nice V8 will give you.

Just like Karts are stepping stones for real race cars, 4-bangers are stepping stones for real performance cars. But only if they look fast and not perform fast are they truely "RICE" in my book.

Katshot
01-12-05, 11:38 AM
I hope you understand that THESE are serious "high performance vehicles".

Kels55
01-12-05, 02:18 PM
THose are the only two that I half way consider, but if you get them to the track then they can only keep up to the end of a 1/4 mile, if they had to go any farther then the real high performance vehicles will blow right past them because even though they do 13 second 1/4 miles, they rarely go into triple digits (i.e. 98mph, 99 mph). My CTS-V averages 109 at the end of a 1/4 mile, Many STi and Evo I race at the track, will pull away at the line, but we are door to door at the finishline. If a drag strip was any longer, the STi and Evo would stop coming because they would have a hell of a time beating any of the V8s.

Besides, cars that have trouble going faster than 100 mph are not high performance. (I'm sure that this last statement will set off a nice debate, but I would like to state again that these two cars are the only 4-bangers that almost prevented me from writing my earlier statement in the first place, so I do respect them).

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 02:42 PM
The true meaning of "RICE" comes from "riceburner" which is a reference to the sound that a 4-banger aftermarket exhaust makes, which sounds exactly like the sound of rice fring (Spanish style fried rice).

Way back when I was younger than you are now, and the Asian kids started lowering their 3rd gen Celicas (yes, the sport compact craze is older than most people think, at least in California where ALL trends start), 'rice-burner' meant it came from Japan, a land famous for eating rice with every meal.

This was long before tin-can sized exhausts, since not only were Monza tips the cool thing, there wasn't much else available then.

Unless you could adapt a VW stinger, which some people tried too.

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 02:47 PM
My CTS-V averages 109 at the end of a 1/4 mile, Many STi and Evo I race at the track, will pull away at the line, but we are door to door at the finishline.

Rent me an Evo or STi, and let's go to an Autocross event, where driving skills are important. :lildevil:

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 02:49 PM
Now I admit that I am "Old-School" in that I believe that high performance vehicles are no smaller than a V6. Meaning, I don't believe that a 4-banger should be compared to any "real" high performance vehicle.

Lotus and Porsche, to name two, made their proud reputations by trashing this line of thought! :lildevil:

Kels55
01-12-05, 02:53 PM
Another good point on the driving skill, but the CTS-V kills straight-aways and handles pretty good so I would be very willing to take that challenge.

Depending on the length of the straight-aways I think that my V will beat your Evo/STi anyday (another statement that will cause debate)!

Kels55
01-12-05, 02:58 PM
Way back when I was younger than you are now, and the Asian kids started lowering their 3rd gen Celicas (yes, the sport compact craze is older than most people think, at least in California where ALL trends start), 'rice-burner' meant it came from Japan, a land famous for eating rice with every meal.

Again, a true statement, but being that I have lived in Florida most of my life, the only times I have ever seen/heard rice being fried has been in the presence of my Spanish friends and the sound is identical.

Kels55
01-12-05, 03:07 PM
Lotus and Porsche, to name two, made their proud reputations by trashing this line of thought! :lildevil:

Yes, I did forget about Porsche when I wrote the first post so I will have to make that correction. Their 4cylinders have always been among the best.

As for Lotus, they had some good days many years ago and are attempting a good come back but there were some years that weren't so good, so my verdict is still out on Lotus.

Also, most people don't try to "RICE" these cars because they are "exotic" and not exactly cheap to own or mod.

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 03:12 PM

I should also add that Ferrari, which built it's reputation in the '50's and '60's on it's racing successes and known only for it's high performance vehicles, campaigned many 4 cylinder cars during the '50's.

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20500%20Mondial%201953.jpg
1953 1985cc 160hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20625%20TF%201953.jpg
1953 2198cc 200hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20750%20Monza%201954.jpg
1954 2999cc 250hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20250%20Monza%201954.jpg
1954 2953cc 240hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20860%20Monza%201955.jpg
1955 3431cc 200hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20500%20Testa%20Rossa%201956.jpg
1956 1905cc 180hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20625%20LM%201956.jpg
1956 2498cc 225hp

http://www297.pair.com/clasjack/images/wc/Ferrari%20500%20TRC%201957.jpg
1957 1985cc 180hp

Stoneage_Caddy
01-12-05, 03:19 PM
bah ...screw pistions ...gimme my wankel !!!!

1.3 litres twin turbos......toss it in a lotus seven and lets go have fun .....thats performance

Kels55
01-12-05, 03:26 PM
I should also add that Ferrari, which built it's reputation in the '50's and '60's on it's racing successes and known only for it's high performance vehicles, campaigned many 4 cylinder cars during the '50's.

There have been too many changes to the ways cars are built now compared to the 50's (i.e. emissions, fuel economy), so I think comparing a 50's Ferrari with a newer 4 cylinders isn't very justifiable. List some of the current Ferrari and Porsche 4 cylinders and then we will start comparing numbers.

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 03:27 PM
bah ...screw pistions ...gimme my wankel !!!!

1.3 litres twin turbos......toss it in a lotus seven and lets go have fun .....thats performance

And there you have it.

Most racers know that it's all about the power to weight ratio and not the size of your... :lildevil:

D148L0
01-12-05, 03:32 PM
There have been too many changes to the ways cars are built now compared to the 50's (i.e. emissions, fuel economy), so I think comparing a 50's Ferrari with a newer 4 cylinders isn't very justifiable. List some of the current Ferrari and Porsche 4 cylinders and then we will start comparing numbers.
The examples provided were not intended to compare between old and new 4s', but to state that a car can be a high performance one regardless of the number of cylinders it has.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-12-05, 03:40 PM
And there you have it.

Most racers know that it's all about the power to weight ratio and not the size of your... :lildevil:

exactly ......its why sprint cars are so much fun .....

i still love my v8s and almighty torque but the real fun is what colin chappman did best ,if you have lightweight and balance gobs of torque arent nessesary......the cars were about smootheness and the abiltyt o keep the thing int he power all the time......unlike hamfisting camaros

its why lotus is known for its cars ....albiet the latter espirta are a bit finicky if dare i say teprimental at the limit ....the rest were all stellar handleing cars

side note , we held track redord @ sebring short coarse for a year or so ..done on 440cc's and 87 hp on a powerband thinner and a sheet of paper ....full boat trans am type cars couldnt touch us .....500cc cars eventually outran us ...we couldnt afford those engine with the wider powerband ...tho we never ran against the cars with our new chassis

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 03:57 PM
The examples provided were not intended to compare between old and new 4s', but to state that a car can be a high performance one regardless of the number of cylinders it has.

Exactly!

This was in response to your statement, "Now I admit that I am "Old-School" in that I believe that high performance vehicles are no smaller than a V6."

I don't think you can get any more 'Old School' than Enzo Ferrari. And the fact is, Enzo himself built and campaigned 4 cylinder high performance vehicles, otherwise know as race cars.

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 04:04 PM
List some of the current Ferrari and Porsche 4 cylinders and then we will start comparing numbers.

In fairness, those cars were built to Le Mans class rules that no longer exist. So there is no need for a 4-banger Ferrari or Porsche in todays racing.

But that does not mean they couldn't build a 4 cylinder high performance vehicle in the future, should the rules change again.

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 04:07 PM
As for Lotus, they had some good days many years ago and are attempting a good come back but there were some years that weren't so good, so my verdict is still out on Lotus.

Have you read a road test on the new Elise?

It's about 1900lbs with a Toyota 1.8l.

Most reviews rave about it's performance but complain it's a 'race car' disguised as a 'road car'.

I don't like the cute as a bug design, but the go-cart handling impresses me.

D148L0
01-12-05, 04:11 PM
I don't like the cute as a bug design, but the go-cart handling impresses me.Is that amazing or what? I want one...

Katshot
01-12-05, 04:15 PM
It HAS a been a number of years since anybody but the Asians have used 4 cylinder engines for performance applications, but the point is still well made that there ARE, in fact many truely high-performance cars with less than 6 cylinders. And the statement about EVO's an STi's having "trouble going faster than 100 mph" is a joke at best. Both cars are electronically limited to speeds in excess of 150mph as I recall.
I'm NOT going to get into this arguement again here. The pure ignorance of statements like that just pisses me off.

Kels55
01-12-05, 04:34 PM
Besides, cars that have trouble going faster than 100 mph are not high performance. (I'm sure that this last statement will set off a nice debate

Depending on the length of the straight-aways I think that my V will beat your Evo/STi anyday (another statement that will cause debate)!

haha, as you can tell, I knew with my first post this was going to turn into a good thread!

I agree and understand about the power to weight ratio, but I tend to think of torque when I think of power, and when I said "Old-School", I should have said "American Old-School", meaning muscle car train of thought not exotic cars that have always been made to be race car ready.

Kels55
01-12-05, 04:39 PM
And the statement about EVO's an STi's having "trouble going faster than 100 mph" is a joke at best. Both cars are electronically limited to speeds in excess of 150mph as I recall.
I'm NOT going to get into this arguement again here. The pure ignorance of statements like that just pisses me off.

My whole point was to start a debate so please argue, but as far as the Evo and STi, of the 20 or so that show up to the track here in Orlando, only the few that have spent serious money on them can break 100+ in a 1/4 mile, and the couple that belong to friends of mine have trouble getting them to 120 before I am already several lengths infront of them and become tired of embarrassing them.

84deville
01-12-05, 04:44 PM
oops.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-12-05, 04:48 PM
one thing i can say against the STI and EVO is the balance ...on paper they dont look so good ....the subaru has ALL of its engine hanging out infront of the front axel line ...but it does have a nice low center of gravity ....then the EVO has its engine on or a bit infront of the front axel line also ..and the same center of gravity as the normal lancer .....

im surpised the awd makes up for some of it handleing wise ......even audi has them mounted infront of the axel line ....

at least the V has most of that v8 behind the line ....

Kels55
01-12-05, 04:50 PM
In fairness, those cars were built to Le Mans class rules that no longer exist. So there is no need for a 4-banger Ferrari or Porsche in todays racing.

But that does not mean they couldn't build a 4 cylinder high performance vehicle in the future, should the rules change again.

That was my point in making the 50's to today statement. But if they can make high performance 4 cylinder vehicles today, then why not? People would love to be able to drive as fast as a nice V8 but still get more than 15 mpg. People (let me say that this is mostly American car guys I'm reffering to) preffer power over economy, but if the economy is there with the power, then I believe that you will see a big shift to the high performance 4 cylinders but because they don't make very many 4 cylinder engines that do produce power, you won't see to many in professional races.

D148L0
01-12-05, 04:57 PM
That was my point in making the 50's to today statement. But if they can make high performance 4 cylinder vehicles today, then why not? People would love to be able to drive as fast as a nice V8 but still get more than 15 mpg. People (let me say that this is mostly American car guys I'm reffering to) preffer power over economy, but if the economy is there with the power, then I believe that you will see a big shift to the high performance 4 cylinders but because they don't make very many 4 cylinder engines that do produce power, you won't see to many in professional races.
Don't forget durability. You can certainly make a 4 perform as an 8, but it's life span would be a fraction of that of the latter.

I find interesting that the american concept of performance is mainly determined by how fast a car runs the strip...