: 2008 SRX 3rd row seating purchase

Rembrandt
02-19-09, 11:47 AM
Looking to buy the 3rd row seating for my 2008 srx.. any suggestions?

jimlantz
02-19-09, 02:52 PM
Where are you located, and what color interior.
I'm in Illinois, SW of Chicago.
You supply the labor and I'll swap you.
I'd rather have the storage.

TSS
02-19-09, 05:31 PM
^^ can't beat that offer!

Rembrandt
02-20-09, 11:10 AM
Hey Thanks for the offer!!! but im in Ontario Canada....

Any other suggestions??

jdavis
02-20-09, 11:56 AM
Rembrandt, have you tried out the third row seating? Although it appears to be a useful addition, I have found that it is practically useless for anyone other than perhaps a very small child that needs no foot well or leg room. This is not to mention that it is a PITA for anyone to crawl back there. If you haven't done so, it would be wise to check out a car so equipped before you invest in this expensive transition.

GMJim
02-20-09, 12:15 PM
^^^ What JD said

TSS
02-20-09, 12:44 PM
What Jim said JD said^^^

My issue with it was also that I wanted to have it "just in case". The most I transport is 4 adults and one child. I thought the third row would be a good option to have because the two adults could have the whole second row and the child could have the third row. In those instances, it was a PITA. Unforgivably SLOW. And, you had to take literally everything out of the rear cargo area to raise it. Not worth it. If you need seating for more than 5 on a regular basis, this is not the vehicle. Ironically, when I got my Lade, which does not have the cool fold flat third seat like the SRX and also second row buckets, I actually keep one of the third row seats in my basement. So, in reality, the SRX could legally seat 7 in a pinch, and the larger Lade, only five. I digress...

GMJim
02-20-09, 01:16 PM
What Todd said, that I said, that JD said.

It is worthless..............ok, maybe for infants, and puppies..............

TTopJohn
02-20-09, 04:37 PM
I've got the 3rd row, and don't particularly like it, I'd prefer to have the storage. However, it's not worthless.

Getting back there is no harder IMHO than climbing into the 3rd row of any other SUV, including say a 1985 Suburban. I fit and I'm 5' 10". It's not comfy, but I do fit. I've even riden back there around an autocross course at the GM Auto Show In Motion a few years back.

It is slow to fold, but it's pretty neat to watch. You would want to avoid a situation where you were constantly folding and unfolding it, however I can't really imagine one anyway.

So in a pinch, it adds legitimate person carrying ability. I'd still rather have the cargo organizer, but I liked everything else about our SRX so I went for it even though it had the 3rd row.

miked
02-21-09, 01:31 AM
We've used the third row enough times to make it useful . . . to the point where when we get rid of our 05 SRX, we made sure to get an 08 SRX with the third row.

We have young nieces, and it's been nice to have the extra seating for them, so my wife and I, my sister and her husband, and the nieces can all travel in one vehicle.

I would not wish a long period of time back there for adults, though.

- Mike.

Northern SRX
02-21-09, 07:31 AM
Our '04 had the 3rd row and we used it often enough that it was a mandatory feature when we went looking to replace it last year - not surprisingly, our '08 has it.

To the OP, this conversion has been done before (search this forum) and, technically, it could be DIY but enough panels are in play (you're installing seat belts in the ceiling as well as the seat panels and switches) that I'd give some consideration to getting a shop on this one.

Your best bet is to find a wrecked SRX of the same interior colour. I don't know if the year matters, though -both our '08 and our '04 had ebony interiors and the 3rd row and the only difference (to my untrained eye) is the driver's side panel in the rear - to accommodate the power door piston assembly.

Another option to find a matching wreck would be to buy an older and high mileage SRX with the 3rd row, do the swap, and sell the older one post-swap. If you never move the title into your name, you might be able to avoid sales taxes on the purchase.

I'm near Ottawa - whereabouts are you? trader.ca shows a few SRXs ~$10,000 and an '04 with a grey interior and 3rd row. I gotta believe that it could be purchased for less, and re-sold post-conversion for close to what you'd pay.

Anyway, worth considering maybe?

n7don_srx
02-21-09, 08:49 AM
To the OP, this conversion has been done before (search this forum) and, technically, it could be DIY but enough panels are in play (you're installing seat belts in the ceiling as well as the seat panels and switches) that I'd give some consideration to getting a shop on this one.

Your best bet is to find a wrecked SRX of the same interior colour. I don't know if the year matters, though -both our '08 and our '04 had ebony interiors and the 3rd row and the only difference (to my untrained eye) is the driver's side panel in the rear - to accommodate the power door piston assembly.
Another option to find a matching wreck would be to buy an older and high mileage SRX with the 3rd row, do the swap, and sell the older one post-swap. If you never move the title into your name, you might be able to avoid sales taxes on the purchase.
Anyway, worth considering maybe?

See this discussion: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/144719-3rd-row-seat-install.html

srx05v8
02-22-09, 03:00 AM
Maybe it depends on your needs. I actually find the 3rd seat a great feature - and I do use it about once a week. It is indeed slow to fold/unfold - but as long as it's doing the work itself, i don't really care standing there for 15 sec. I don't use the headrests, though - wish they could self-fold. I put an infant car seat there, with my petite wife. Neither ever complained.