Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Auto Trans: Is it just me or...

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  V-Love 
#1 ·
Does the auto trans shift super super slow?
It doesn't seem to matter what trans mode I have the car in, the downshifts are delayed for seems like a full second or more and manaul upshifts are delayed as well. In a high-tech car like this, I just find it very unacceptable. I had a Dodge Magnum RT, and the shifts on that were light years ahead of this (in auto or manual mode). Makes me wish I had gone with the manual with twin disc clutch, but I was tired of shifting my Z06 so I got the automatic.

Any fixes for this? (Vendors and tuners, this is wher you can chime in.)

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
sometimes new performance vehicles with auto trannies have a "learn" function. Where if you daily drive it'll slowly change the way the tranny shifts to conform to your driving. What you can try to do is disable the neg terminal from the battery. Jump in your car and hold down the brake pedal with the key to the "on" position for a few seconds. This will drain the battery and should reset the tcm. Now hook it all back up and than drive...If you see it shifts better than you'll now know why. If it doesnt than its just the way the auto was hardwired from the factory...another reason I went with the manual on my order as I already know wayyyyy too much about how "nannied" these new auto's are nowadays.

#5 ·
Wow, see I feel it shifts very quickly, especially in sport mode. I'll admit in regular mode downshifts are held on far too long, but upshifts and downshifts in the sport mode are quick and done at the right times.

#6 ·
Does the auto trans shift super super slow?
It doesn't seem to matter what trans mode I have the car in, the downshifts are delayed for seems like a full second or more and manaul upshifts are delayed as well. In a high-tech car like this, I just find it very unacceptable. I had a Dodge Magnum RT, and the shifts on that were light years ahead of this (in auto or manual mode). Makes me wish I had gone with the manual with twin disc clutch, but I was tired of shifting my Z06 so I got the automatic.

Any fixes for this? (Vendors and tuners, this is wher you can chime in.)

Thanks,
Mark
Honestly--I think there is something wrong with your tranny then. Mine shifts very quickly and right on cue..so well in fact that when I was at monticello It convinced me to get the auto and not the manual.

I have a heavily modified 300C (heads, cam, headers, tune, etc..) It shifts very aggressively due to the tune--so I know what you mean about the Magnum R/T. My V is BETTER!

#7 ·
The upshifts are fine, and I'm sure will be even better with some TM removed. It's the down shifts. Press the peddle to the floor and tell me how long it takes to down shift. It's not immediate. People have even commented about this when using the shifter or shift buttons to shift manually. There is an "electronic" lag. I'm still waiting to hear about Wait4me's TCM programming. That combined with ECM, and I know it should be all better.

#8 ·
The upshifts are fine, and I'm sure will be even better with some TM removed. It's the down shifts. Press the peddle to the floor and tell me how long it takes to down shift. It's not immediate. People have even commented about this when using the shifter or shift buttons to shift manually. There is an "electronic" lag. I'm still waiting to hear about Wait4me's TCM programming. That combined with ECM, and I know it should be all better.
no doubt it will be improved with a tune. I am waiting for the same---need to hear/see some feedback on them first tho. In the meantime--I migh go try to "time" the downshift as you suggest.

#9 ·
This trans has one of the fastest learning curves I have encountered, it is great, much quicker to adapt and more aggressive than my SRT-8 Jeep was.

Put it into sport mode and run it through the gears once or twice, do a couple of part/full throttle kick downs from 25 mph. It should wake up big time, mine does so with little or no effort in sport mode. If it does not respond after a couple of runs, there may be something wrong with your car and you might want to have it looked at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.