: extended warranties

luciano23
02-19-09, 09:55 AM
i know every dealer is probably different, but how much should i expect to pay on an extended warranty for a 05 sts with probably 40-60k miles on it? and do you think its worth the investment?

sts003
02-19-09, 11:33 AM
When I researched it I was advised by my local dealer to go with the GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) because it would end up providing the best coverage, essentially the same as the original warranty with a few exceptions. While the actual plan (also called Major Guard Coverage) comes directly from GM, you can 'shop' it on the internet and save considerable $$. I got mine from Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA- that is, I paid them and the plan then came from GM. You can find the pricing on their web site www.gmoutlet.com When you purchase it, it automatically goes onto your service record linked by your VIN so that any Caddy dealer will see it when you need service.
I never used to think extended warranties were worth it, but with the complexity of newer cars and my keeping those I enjoy longer, it makes sense to me. Especially when you can get a good, reliable warranty (like GMPP) at a discount. Hope this helps.

pjbizjak
02-19-09, 11:56 AM
If the vehicle can be "certified" through the Cadillac dealer, that's the way to go. It costs between $1000 $1500 and is bumper to bumper for 6yr/100,000mi. If you go with and "extended warranty" then the GMPP is a good deal, but I don't know what the cost is and there are limitations on what's covered. Plus you better make sure that regular maintainence is performed, because that is the first thing the company providing the warranty will look at and use it to their best advantage. This is based on the vehicle mileage, usually "certified" vehicles have less than 35K and basic warranty covers up to 50K, if the vehicle has more than 35K miles then you only have 15K remaining on the warranty. This is where the "extended" warranty comes into play. I get these offers in the mail all the time and they aren't cheap.