: Is it possible to disable the skip-shift in the manual transmission cars?

fleadh
02-19-09, 12:18 AM
It drives me absolutely bat-shit crazy. How can I get rid of it? Can i pull out a fuse? Is there an aftermarket electric device or some physical way to disable this crap?

-mike

proexpert
02-19-09, 01:19 AM
Yes the Corvette guys including me have done this with a resistor from Radio Shack and some electrical tape. I can get a link to the details for the Corvette if you want it. I don't know if the CTS-V transmission is similar or not.

urbanski
02-19-09, 07:24 AM
people have yet to post a cags fix here

Wreckless
02-19-09, 08:00 AM
Hmmm, there's a skip shift on the V2? It hasn't kicked in yet for me.

Kadonny
02-19-09, 09:52 AM
Hmmm, there's a skip shift on the V2? It hasn't kicked in yet for me.

Guess you're driving it like you should be then :burn::mediumbanana::fwll:

wait4me
02-19-09, 10:25 AM
I can tune it out of the ecm if you want. No codes ect...

rgp6373
02-19-09, 03:58 PM
stop driving like a grandma . i used to have a 94 camaro it had skip shift as just like my v2 just give it some gas and it goes away . i can't believe people spend time and money to get ride of this

pmsteinm
02-19-09, 06:54 PM
If it comes on, you are wasting a car like this...or you are stuck behind a mini-van :rant2:

RapidRob
02-19-09, 07:05 PM
OK - please help a n00b - what the hell is, "skip-shift"?:hmm:

Thanks.

Rob

poor-sha
02-19-09, 07:45 PM
Under light throttle application there is a gate that forces you to shift from first to fourth gear in the manual transmission. It's supposed to save fuel that way.

Razorecko
02-19-09, 08:52 PM
Under light throttle application there is a gate that forces you to shift from first to fourth gear in the manual transmission. It's supposed to save fuel that way.

Holy Crap that is GAY!!!!!!!

cmicasa
02-19-09, 09:30 PM
If the Vette and CTS-0V are using the same tranny, the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual, and I beleive they are... then YES.. there is a way around it with a CAG Eliminator. I installed one on my C6 in about 5 minutes one night while I was changing the oil. The ELIMINATOR can be bought from MIDAMERICA CORVETTE and U have to go under the car.. takes about 5 minutes. Use Jack stands or pull it up on ramps. Costs $17.99.. and no codes are thrown at all

http://content.mamotorworks.com/img300/fr101.jpg

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-7-327-101.html

RapidRob
02-19-09, 10:56 PM

Thanks for that poor-sha - weird that there are all these cute little gimmicks built in to save fuel, and they still stick you with a gas-guzzler tax.:helpless:
Oh well ....

Rob

62Jeff
02-19-09, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that poor-sha - weird that there are all these cute little gimmicks built in to save fuel, and they still stick you with a gas-guzzler tax.:helpless:
Oh well ....

Rob

At least when they put it on the vette, it helped the vette avoid the gas guzzler. I managed 30-33 MPG all the way from the vette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky, to Houston, when I drove the car home for the first time, although I get about 13 in home-to-work-to-home driving.

jvp
02-19-09, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that poor-sha - weird that there are all these cute little gimmicks built in to save fuel, and they still stick you with a gas-guzzler tax.

The skip-shift has been part of the GM performance vehicle manual transmissions since the early 90s. It was one of the contributing factors that allowed the then 300HP, then 330HP C4 Corvette (with the aero of a rolling brick) escape the gas-guzzler tax.

It stayed in their manual transmissions (ZF in the C4 Corvettes, Borg-Warner in the F-bodies and early C5 Corvettes, then TREMEC afterward) ever since, to try and fight off the gas-guzzler tax. And it's still with us today, even though the V gets tagged with the GG tax. Just think: it would probably be much higher if the skip-shift wasn't included.

GM knows it's easy to defeat. They made it that way specifically for the performance guys. Think of it as a gift, almost. In the cars before ODB-II scanning, you could just disconnect the skip-shift cable, and no codes would be thrown nor would there be any CELs. Once ODB-II hit, GM had to start recording a code for that "fault" and lighting the CEL. But, they knew it would only be a matter of time (literally, days) until someone figured out the proper resistance value for the connector, and made an adapter.

It's annoying at first, but incredibly easy to work around. Don't bitch about it. Thank GM for sneaking a technology into the transmissions that helps reduce gas-guzzler taxes (or eliminates them), and is incredibly easy to defeat.

jas

Razorecko
02-19-09, 11:10 PM
^ wow i didnt know that. Props to GM :yup:

RapidRob
02-19-09, 11:25 PM
^^ Gotcha JAS - I have to admit that this is my first GM product in a very long time. Went from Mopar to Toyota back to Mopar and now to Cadillac. I've been waiting a long time for an American manuf. to finally produce an outstanding non-sports performance car like the v2, and promised myself that when they finally did, I'd buy one.

Anyway, that's why I didn't know about skip-shift, and I'm not really complaining about it, now that I know what it for - thanks.

Rob

Luna.
02-20-09, 02:31 AM
A tune is one of the best mods to get for a high performance car, which can easily disable the skip-shift feature. I mean, it's EASY. There's like a little box that the tuner can uncheck and...poof...it's gone

Why install a CAGS eliminator? Very, very strange...:hmm:

jvp
02-20-09, 09:04 AM
Why install a CAGS eliminator? Very, very strange...

One needs to be really careful of getting their cars tuned. GM's PCMs are set up so that when you tune it, it leaves breadcrumbs for GM to follow. They'll know it's been tuned. If you roll into a non-cooperative dealer with an engine, transmission, or other drive train problem, the first thing they're going to do is pop a Tech-2 on your car. If they see that your computer has been tweaked, they may deny your warranty claim that day.

Beware of tuners that say, "My tune can't be detected by GM!!" They're wrong. GM will find it if they want to.

This is why the CAGS defeat is a good idea. :-)

jas

Kadonny
02-20-09, 09:36 AM
A tune is one of the best mods to get for a high performance car, which can easily disable the skip-shift feature. I mean, it's EASY. There's like a little box that the tuner can uncheck and...poof...it's gone

Ummmmmm, because not everyone gets a tune? I put a skip shift eliminator on my V1 as many people have done.

Luna.
02-20-09, 02:04 PM
One needs to be really careful of getting their cars tuned. GM's PCMs are set up so that when you tune it, it leaves breadcrumbs for GM to follow. They'll know it's been tuned. If you roll into a non-cooperative dealer with an engine, transmission, or other drive train problem, the first thing they're going to do is pop a Tech-2 on your car. If they see that your computer has been tweaked, they may deny your warranty claim that day.

Beware of tuners that say, "My tune can't be detected by GM!!" They're wrong. GM will find it if they want to.

This is why the CAGS defeat is a good idea. :-)

jas

Look at it this way...you can have them simply turn off CAGS & do nothing else. I'd love to see ANY dealer argue that by turning off CAGS in the PCM, it caused a failure...

Hell, if any dealer even attempted to make this argument, as utterly stupid as it is, they sure as hell can make the argument that the CAGS eliminator caused such failure as well.

The bottom line is that stopping it from working in the first place has to be a better solution than tricking the system...and it is. Hell, the part that takes the longest is just getting the computer/program to talk to the PCM...LOL...turning it off once in the PCM takes all of 10 seconds

Ummmmmm, because not everyone gets a tune? I put a skip shift eliminator on my V1 as many people have done.

Ummmmm, just turn off CAGS if you don't want to tune it?

I turned off CAGS via the PCM on my V1 as many people have done as well.

LOL--you guys can do what you want, not my friggin car. But getting a CAGS eliminator when/if you can simply turn it off via the computer is highly dubious. Yeah, there could be some odd situations where someone who can patch into the PCM isn't easily available, but the part that makes me raise an eyebrow is that turning it off in the PCM isn't the first consideration, which seems strange. It's even EASIER than installing CAGS, no risk of throwing a code, no installation required, no tricking the system, etc...it's stopping it at it's root, which I believe is the best answer.

Like I said, knock yourself out if you want it...not my car.

cmicasa
02-20-09, 08:59 PM

Ummm because if something goes wrong with the Tranny... I can easily go under the car and disconnect it before I take it to the dealer.. as opposed to having to wait for my tuner to get to my house or on the side of the road to hook his laptop up to the car to put the OEM tune back in...:bonkers:

Luna.
02-20-09, 10:47 PM
Ummm because if something goes wrong with the Tranny... I can easily go under the car and disconnect it before I take it to the dealer.. as opposed to having to wait for my tuner to get to my house or on the side of the road to hook his laptop up to the car to put the OEM tune back in...:bonkers:

If you experience a dealer that tries to argue that any transmission problem was the result of turning off CAGS in the PCM...

Find yourself another dealer...

fleadh
02-21-09, 04:29 PM

Where'd you get the V1 eliminator? I might just try it in my car and see what happends. The transmissions are they same aren't they, it's the clutch that was changed w/ the V2?

And my beef with the skip-shift isn't the fact that GM did it. It's that I have to do some stupid resistor trickery to disable it-- that's dumb. Especially when I just paid 70,000 thousand ****ing dollars for a performance car.

As for the ECU programming versus a modified connector/harness-- I have no plans to do any ECU programming, or let anyone else touch it on this car. I have other vehicles that I **** with, this one won't be one of them.

-mike

jvp
02-21-09, 09:38 PM
Where'd you get the V1 eliminator? I might just try it in my car and see what happends. The transmissions are they same aren't they, it's the clutch that was changed w/ the V2?

Transmissions are not the same. The V1 used a similar transmission to the C5/C6 TREMEC T56. The V2 is using the latest TREMEC TR6060. I'll bet good money that the CAGS connector is in the same spot, and has the same exact connector. :-)

And my beef with the skip-shift isn't the fact that GM did it. It's that I have to do some stupid resistor trickery to disable it-- that's dumb. Especially when I just paid 70,000 thousand ****ing dollars for a performance car.

I'm still not sure I understand your beef with it. It saves you money at purchase time by eliminating (or reducing) the gas guzzler tax. And for $20 and 20 minutes of your time, you can disable it completely. What's the downside here?

I say: "Thanks GM!"

jas

CadV
02-22-09, 11:01 AM
+1 get it tuned out

jjsC6
02-22-09, 09:25 PM
I've used those little devices as shown on page one (that you plug the connectors into) on six Corvettes and one Z28 that I have owned. It costs about $18 and takes about five minutes to install. It's a no-brainer.

And to those who say drive it like it is supposed to be driven, I gladly do that when I can. But in typical surface street traffic in the Houston area, it simply makes no sense to run the revs up just to avoid it kicking in.

cmicasa
02-22-09, 09:43 PM
I've used those little devices as shown on page one (that you plug the connectors into) on six Corvettes and one Z28 that I have owned. It costs about $18 and takes about five minutes to install. It's a no-brainer.

And to those who say drive it like it is supposed to be driven, I gladly do that when I can. But in typical surface street traffic in the Houston area, it simply makes no sense to run the revs up just to avoid it kicking in.

Sometimes I think what many of us are missing is that despite the fact that some of us are Gear Heads more or less who can afford $70K Weekend toys.. others here are not as mechanically inclined. I love my Z51 Manny and now I love my V2 Auto, but neither are my "everyday cars" but both will get general maintenance performed by moi... Brakes, Oil, etc. It's not the fact that we are cheap is my point.. it's the fact that we see these things as SIMPLE.. where as many new to the GM family see it as beneath them to get under a car to perform a 5 min mod that will eliminate the Skip-Shift altogether without a tune. All U need are a pair of RAMPS or a Jack and some stands. :yup:

BeagleBrains
02-22-09, 10:18 PM
A tune is one of the best mods to... ..disable the skip-shift feature. I mean, .... . the tuner can ????:
... .. .... charge $18.00? Done in five minutes in my own garage? I like this kind of convenience.
My wife's V and my Corvette: done.
I get 30 mpg in the Vette with the "performance axle" Z51 option. The Vette is my summer everyday work car. Winter, the Vette is stored; I drive a Jeep (17 mpg highway/17 mpg city) through the snow for the winter.

cmicasa
02-23-09, 09:34 AM
... .. .... charge $18.00? Done in five minutes in my own garage? I like this kind of convenience.
My wife's V and my Corvette: done.
I get 30 mpg in the Vette with the "performance axle" Z51 option. The Vette is my summer everyday work car. Winter, the Vette is stored; I drive a Jeep (17 mpg highway/17 mpg city) through the snow for the winter.

Amazing isn't it... 30MPG in a 400+HP car???

GM is... based on the numbers.. the most fuel efficient maker on the planet right now. Ironically.. because of the Prius.. toyota normally gets that credit. My Tahoe normally gets about 20 on the Highway and 15 to 16 in the city due to AFM .. My everyday car a G6... gets about 23 in the City and 36 HYWY

Luna.
02-23-09, 04:14 PM

It's so insignificant, my tuner wouldn't even charge me to turn off that option (& no, it isn't because I'm so cool or anything...I'd be disappointed if any tuner charged more than $20 to do that---it's a simple click for crying out loud...). If you want to talk about your, "no brainers," this is it. Done in as much time as it takes for the computer to "talk" to the PCM. I like that kind of convenience.

Like I said above though, if you guys like it, knock yourself out.

tedcmiller
02-23-09, 11:40 PM
I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this, but if you already have or plan to order and automatic transmission, you don't have to worry about the CAGS (sometimes called skip-shift). Automatic transmissions don't have this "feature."

It should also be mentioned that the CAGS eliminator bypasses the CAGS solenoid in the transmission (the eliminator contains a resistor essentially equivalent to the solenoid resistance) so that when the computer commands it (only under certain temperature and RPM conditions), it thinks that the command has been properly processed. The connector that plugs into the transmission does nothing electrical. It is simply there to prevent dirt and moisture from entering the transmission and it keeps the cable that would normally be connected to the transmission from hanging down and dragging the ground. The connector that the cable from the computer plugs into contains the resistor.

Wreckless
02-24-09, 07:49 AM
I've had to install a CAGS on my Viper and Vette but I have yet to have Skip Shift kick in on the V2 yet. Don't know why, I'm even in break in mode driving the car. Maybe mine doesn't work or wasn't turned on. Who knows? It isn't bothering me yet. If it does I'll just CAGS another one.

Kadonny
02-24-09, 09:53 AM
Ummmmm, just turn off CAGS if you don't want to tune it?

I turned off CAGS via the PCM on my V1 as many people have done as well.

Ok, care to tell me where the CAGS turn off button is? On the dash? On the steering wheel? Where? I would love to find it.

Face it, the plug in is easy, hassle free and cheap. If you don't have access to software or a tuner then this is an easy and cheap way to eliminate it. Why is that so hard to understand?

StealthV sold a ton of them on the V1 for a reason.

Luna.
02-24-09, 11:12 PM
Ok, care to tell me where the CAGS turn off button is? On the dash? On the steering wheel? Where? I would love to find it.

Face it, the plug in is easy, hassle free and cheap. If you don't have access to software or a tuner then this is an easy and cheap way to eliminate it. Why is that so hard to understand?

StealthV sold a ton of them on the V1 for a reason.

Yeah, because the comment below, which you conveniently left out, is SO hard to understand... :bigroll:

But getting a CAGS eliminator when/if you can simply turn it off via the computer is highly dubious. Yeah, there could be some odd situations where someone who can patch into the PCM isn't easily available, but the part that makes me raise an eyebrow is that turning it off in the PCM isn't the first consideration, which seems strange. It's even EASIER than installing CAGS, no risk of throwing a code, no installation required, no tricking the system, etc...it's stopping it at it's root, which I believe is the best answer.

See comment below. I'm done here...

Like I said, knock yourself out if you want it...not my car.

clubho
04-10-09, 07:55 PM
i know my 05 V had it but it only kicked in when i let my dad try my car. I was pretty sure it does not exist on my 09. I even tried to get it to kick in after reading this post and still no go so are you sure it does exist on the 09? I guess it does not matter as i can't drive that slow to get it to even kick in when i try but still knowlede is knowledge so i am curious.