: Total Newbie - CTS-V = V2?

62Jeff
02-18-09, 08:45 PM
Greetings,
I really did try to search the forum for the answer, but searching for simply "V2" curiously returned no results, maybe the search string was too short.

I'm completely new to Cadillacs and CTS-Vs. I bought my 2009 CTS-V recently (actually bought first one 1/31/09, took it back 2/10 and bought a different one because of the seats)

I see references on the forum to "V2". What is the V2 in reference to here?

Is the "V" you guys refer to, the 2007 and earlier CTS-V and the V2 the 2009 edition?

Thanks Much!
Jeff

concorso
02-18-09, 08:49 PM
yes....

OldRoadDawg
02-18-09, 08:56 PM
Is the "V" you guys refer to, the 2007 and earlier CTS-V and the V2 the 2009 edition?

Thanks Much!
Jeff
You got it!

V1 = First generation CTS-V (04-07)
(although some purists would argue that the 06 & 07 CTS-Vs w/LS2 engines were really the 2nd generation, but we won't go there)
V2 = Second generation CTS-V - 2009 & beyond... hopefully

62Jeff
02-18-09, 09:23 PM
yes....

You got it!

V1 = First generation CTS-V (04-07)
(although some purists would argue that the 06 & 07 CTS-Vs w/LS2 engines were really the 2nd generation, but we won't go there)
V2 = Second generation CTS-V - 2009 & beyond... hopefully

Thank you both for the quick reply.

RapidRob
02-18-09, 11:08 PM
I bought my 2009 CTS-V recently (actually bought first one 1/31/09, took it back 2/10 and bought a different one because of the seats)
Jeff

Welcome Jeff - other than the seat, how do you like your new v2? Any 1st impressions, etc.? Which seats did you end up with? What color is the car?

Rob

62Jeff
02-18-09, 11:20 PM
Welcome Jeff - other than the seat, how do you like your new v2? Any 1st impressions, etc.? Which seats did you end up with? What color is the car?

Rob

Thank you for the warm welcome Rob.

The first car I bought was silver with black interior, and Recaros. The dealer wasn't allowing test drives on the CTS-V and it was the only one with Recaros in a color I wanted, in my city. So I bought the car based on how the seats felt at idle, along with my perception of the likely performance based upon having an 07 vette as my other daily driver.

However after driving the car for a week and trying all sorts of things to make the seats work, they hurt my back after a few miles of driving. Degenerative disc disease wasn't helping things any. So I approached my dealer about returning the car, canceling the purchase, and buying their other CTS-V with normal seats. Short story - they agreed and made it simple and painless.

The second car is also silver, polished wheels, navigation, sunroof, automatic, but this time with the light gray interior. I'll probably add the aluminum pedals later ($72 from gmpartsdirect).

I've only got 180 miles on this second one but I think I'm going to really like it once I get it broken in and start driving it with more spirit.

I traded in a 97 jaguar XK8 convertible, which was a wonderful road car with absolutely perfect ergonomics for me, so it's going to take some time to get used to the different seating position in the CTS-V.

RapidRob
02-18-09, 11:36 PM
Sounds great Jeff! :thumbsup: My, "V2", is being built this week. I ordered because there were no v2"s in my entire area at the time. I went with all options except the recaro seats and automatic. I just had to have a manual tranny with a car like this ... !

In any event shoot us some pics of your car if you have the chance.

Rob

TaVern
02-19-09, 02:23 AM
:welcome: Jeff. This is a great place for information.

814V
02-19-09, 02:32 AM
:welcome:

show us your :v:

btw, good choice on the fastest color!

OldDrummer55
02-19-09, 03:01 AM
Welcome aboard Jeff! A lot of good information on this site.

jwa999
02-19-09, 04:03 AM
Yeah, the recaro seats.... I have a white diamond cts-v for 2 months now... I'm *now* finally getting used to the seats....
I don't have a strong back either.. kept adjusting the seats.. Until I realized I had gone through the same problem with my 2002 porsche turbo. You have to keep the seats as upright as possible. When ever i switched from the cts-v to the porsche I noticed the porsche was set much more upright. So I adjusted the recaro seats more upright. It helped. But still either my lower back pinched, or my upper back pinched.. But I held on, keep refining the settings. The seats are *very* firm. They can use a little more padding. The porsche has a lot more padding and snugs your butt right into the seat from the sides.. From morning to evening the feeling of the recaro seats kept changing. It would feel good in the morning, but then in the evening I was struggling. Keep changing the setting during the drive. First, i kept changing the back position, until I finally settled on one. Then I kept adjusting the steering wheel and found the right position for that (very low, practially touching my upper legs). The car is heavy! It moves around much more than the porsche. Like, this morning I get in, and i felt the seats too much leaning back.. but I kept with the setting... It started feeling better during the ride. I always turn on the sport suspension, bounces me in the seat. Now i'm down to adjusting the lower lumbar support. By default, the seat pushes my middle back to much, so I adjust the lower lumbar to push my butt forward. Thank god it's got the pullout to support your legs. The feeling keeps changing, but i know it's the muscles in my back, not the car, that is causing this. Now, week, after week, it's slowing adjusting and I need less and less adjustment. This evening, I got in the car, didn't have to change any setting and it felt great. The seats and the car are like a new shoe. You need to get used to it. Your back needs to work the muscles, your brain needs to absorb the movement of the car until you are *one* with your car. This car loves bumpy roads. I enjoy it the most going through long 2 lane corners. Has a good road feeling, tells you when it's going to slip. The porsche is a different animal. It is slick, just goes fast effortless. Handles with ease. I love driving it on the highways moving in and out of traffic. It's awd almost never allows it to slip. Gives you total control. The caddy, I enjoy more on smaller roads away from other cars. It is wider, heavier. You need more room to maneuver. But it's a hell of a fun car to drive. You're going 130mph on an access road before you know it. I love the way it handles the bumps in the road. I love the competitive mode. The heavy steering and the way it controls the torque. You get 2 cars for the price of 1!

jwa.

62Jeff
02-19-09, 08:13 PM
In any event shoot us some pics of your car if you have the chance.

Rob

I really thought about the manual, but I decided on the automatic because as much as I like running through the gears in the vette, I also liked having my jag as a luxury car. I wanted the CTS-V to be my sport-luxury car, not my sports car.

Here are some pictures. The last time I tried to embed photos in a forum post here, my post went into limbo while a moderator reviewed it. So today I'm simply linking you to photos.

Front of car at the dealer last week, at new car delivery
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/LeftFrontatDealer.jpg

Rear of car at the dealer
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/LeftRearatDealer.jpg

Interior
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/DriversSeat2.jpg

New car mileage
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/NewCarMileage.jpg

In the garage
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/Garaged.jpg

Kmajecki
02-19-09, 08:45 PM
Very nice!

62Jeff
02-19-09, 09:18 PM
For those who've sent me PMs, thank you. I'm unable to reply until my membership credentials change.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
02-19-09, 10:01 PM
Maybe we should go with:
04-05: V1a
06-07: V1b
09-??: V2

RapidRob
02-19-09, 10:48 PM
Beautiful Jeff!:thumbsup: That color is going to be a lot easier to keep clean looking than the Raven Black on my car when I get it ... :bigroll: Ah well, the sacrifices one makes ... :)

Congrats again Jeff!:highfive:

Rob

OldDrummer55
02-20-09, 12:57 AM
Maybe we should go with:
04-05: V1a
06-07: V1b
09-??: V2

Or...
04-05: V1.0
06-07: V1.1
09-??: V2.0

62Jeff
02-20-09, 01:30 AM
Or...
04-05: V1.0
06-07: V1.1
09-??: V2.0

How about 2009 = THE V.

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 07:18 AM
How about 2009 = THE V.
Welcome n00b! But one word of caution, don't discredit your forefathers...

62Jeff
02-20-09, 09:40 AM
Welcome n00b! But one word of caution, don't discredit your forefathers...

Excellent point, no disrespect intended.

Kadonny
02-20-09, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the club. Nice looking car there.

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 10:23 AM
Excellent point, no disrespect intended.
I do luvs the '09, though. Hope to have a '10 next year...