: I dont really have to go to the dealer for this do I?

Greazy wants a V
02-18-09, 04:13 PM
Do I really have to take my car to the dealer to change the fog lghts. What about the small driving light below high and low beams?

rb92gt
02-18-09, 04:25 PM
I'm assuming your asking about the bulbs???

I did it myself. You can do it the complicated way by removing the entire front bumper, or do it the way I did in my garage:

For the fogs, need to remove front wheels and then remove the plastic wheel well liner (plastic push pins hold it in place). In case you aren't mechanically inclined here is more specific info: remove one wheel at a time and put a jack stand under lift point (indicated by arrow just behind each front wheel) as you don't want to trust a jack with your life or your arm in this case.
For the small bulbs in the inside corner of the headlight housing: Open hood. Remove air cleaner box for driver side bulb access. For the passenger side, need to loosen the fuse box. Open cover, there is a deep nut that you need to get to with an extension. Then fuse box will be able to be pushed to the side so hand can fit to access back of light. You do not need to unplug any electrical connections, as you do not need to remove the fuse box.

ifmracin
02-18-09, 04:49 PM
Anyone replace those little driving ones with some LED's or anything that matches better with the HIDs?
Links?

rb92gt
02-18-09, 09:09 PM
I did. I have HID fogs and small bulbs that are similar in color. In dim light, I usually turn off the yellow daytime driving lights by turning off the automatic lights, and then turn on my fogs, looks awesome. I originally put LEDs in, but replaced them with normal bulbs that are silver coated. The "white" LED's were way too blue and I was afraid I'd get pulled over... in Florida any blue lights are worth a ticket. The bulbs I used were alot less yellow than the original bulbs. It only takes 15min to replace them after you do it the first time... I've done it 3-4 times to try and find just the right color I wanted.

dhemrick
02-18-09, 10:19 PM
Where did you get the bulbs that you ultimately settled on?

rb92gt
02-18-09, 11:27 PM
I got them from Pep Boys, unfortunately don't remember exactly which ones I chose, but they are regular incandescent bulbs with a silver-blue coating. I do not have HID headlights, so I didn't want them to be more blue than my headlights.

I would recommend buying a few different ones and just change out one side (driver side is easier) to compare to stock bulb. Make sure you also compare them at night... that was my problem, the bulbs I originally chose (LED) looked great during the day so I replaced both, but then they looked bright blue (which I personally did not like) at night so I had to start over.

Regulator
02-19-09, 10:45 AM
I'm assuming your asking about the bulbs???

I Open cover, there is a deep nut that you need to get to with an extension. Then fuse box will be able to be pushed to the side so hand can fit to access back of light. You do not need to unplug any electrical connections, as you do not need to remove the fuse box.

Could you clarify what to do after you get to the back of the light? Do I need to remove the entire headlight? How do I access the little bulb?

Is it under the grey plastic cover?

rb92gt
02-19-09, 06:05 PM
On the back of the headlight housing there are two light gray plastic covers, one behind, and one toward the center of the car. The one toward the center of the car needs to come off, I believe there is just one screw holding it on. Once this cover is off, I believe there is a little holder that twists off which has the bulb attached.

It has been a while since I did this, so let me know if I am telling you wrong or confusing you and I will take my car apart this weekend so I can tell you exactly step by step.

The most difficult part is getting the bolt off that is deep down in the fuse box behind the passenger light. I believe I had to use a 8 inch extension with a angled socket attachment to get to it. I used masking tape to tape all the pieces of the socket apparatus I made together so that they would stay together and fall down into the fuse box (socket set isn't the greatest)

Regulator
02-21-09, 11:57 PM
RB92-

Thanks for the detailed information on the bullet lights. I ended up following your information and just unplugged the driver side little light after removing the airbox and then the small cover. I like the look better without them. I noticed that once the airbox was off, the fog light bulbs were easily accessible, I rarely use them, so I didn't bother replacing them with different colored bulbs.

Thanks again.

rb92gt
02-23-09, 04:52 PM
No problem, glad the info helped you.

r_ezy1
02-23-09, 07:29 PM
rb92gt i was wondering what type hids did u get as far as are the 55w or 35w.
and would you know what bulb temp would match the stock hid headlights.

rb92gt
02-24-09, 12:19 PM
I do not have HID headlights. I installed 4300K HID fogs. The higher you go, the more blue and less light output. 3500K would actually be yellow and have the best light output. I believe that to match HID headlights you need between 4300 and 5500K, but I imagine it would also depend on the brand product you bought. I can take pics at night of my car if you want me to. I bought some that were very inexpensive, but look great and have lasted a long time, everyone told me they would last for a few months... several years and 40,000 miles later, still work fine. I would recommend NOT buying a product made in China. Oh ya, and they do not blind anyone as others have stated by placing HID bulbs into projector light housings as the fogs are so close to the ground.
See this post:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/119410-fog-light-hid-upgrade.html

r_ezy1
02-24-09, 06:40 PM
do you know if your fog light hid kit is 35 watt or 55 watt because i heard that if you put 35 watt ones on the fogs they will not work properly that they will flicker and if you do put 35watt you have to adapt a relay to them so they work properly. and ya if you could post a pic that would be great.

rb92gt
02-24-09, 07:56 PM
I used a direct replacement H3 55W HID upgrade kit, included bulbs, wiring, and ballasts needed.

r_ezy1
02-24-09, 08:35 PM
sweet thanks for all your help thats all i need to know youve been a great help:thumbsup:

lreddiablo
02-25-09, 05:40 PM
What is the color temp of the bulbs you got? Looks a little blue-er than the headlights, just trying to figure out what color temp would be a match.

golfin0304
03-17-09, 09:57 PM
Just might be a stupid question but...if you have a CPO 6yr/100,000 warranty, are the lights covered?

cnotesonly
03-24-09, 08:11 PM
Nice grille rb92gt! Is that the grille that matches the valence stock grille? Do you ever feel the front end coming off the ground when exceeding 150MPH? :>)

rb92gt
03-24-09, 10:07 PM
I believe lights are covered with my CPO, mine were not out, I just wanted a slightly different color. Thanks for the grille comment, it is the identical match to the lower mesh grille that came on the car. The front end stays put as the speed limit gets doubled.

chandwork
02-13-11, 09:22 PM
I could not get to any screw to remove the housing for the light bulbs. I called the local dealership, I was quoted over $1400 to replace the lowbeam headlight on the passenger side, plus an additional $800 to replace all the bulbs in that side! So needless to say i'm not happy right now! they told me the entire front end needs to come apart. if someone in here can tell me how to do this I would greatly appreciate it! but right now i dont have that kind of cash sitting around for a damn light bulb! car will have to sit until I get the cash. I got a fix it ticket Friday night so I've already been warned.

EChas3
02-13-11, 09:58 PM
Seems high to me.

turnne
02-13-11, 10:36 PM
I could not get to any screw to remove the housing for the light bulbs. I called the local dealership, I was quoted over $1400 to replace the lowbeam headlight on the passenger side, plus an additional $800 to replace all the bulbs in that side! So needless to say i'm not happy right now! they told me the entire front end needs to come apart. if someone in here can tell me how to do this I would greatly appreciate it! but right now i dont have that kind of cash sitting around for a damn light bulb! car will have to sit until I get the cash. I got a fix it ticket Friday night so I've already been warned.

thats crazy

what amount of labor is that ...labor hours...time?

one of mine was out when I was test driving the car and they replaced it before I took delivery

Looking at it though..it didn't look like a 10 minute job...so I made sure that was on the "fix" sheet before I took delivery

Take the car somewhere else
Having to remove body parts to replace bulbs is asinine

warren

waldo5
03-23-12, 03:41 AM
hello, rb92gt I need some help please? I changed my head lights no problem, but when i went to change my front marker light I could not get the socket back in I was playing
with it for 2 hours is there a trick on putting the socket back in it just won't stay on plaese help Eddie. I left then out for now? Thanks or call me 516 670-4157 I have 06 STS

KRSTS
03-23-12, 01:41 PM
Just might be a stupid question but...if you have a CPO 6yr/100,000 warranty, are the lights covered?

The in-service date on a 2006 was likely more that six years ago so the CPO is no longer in effect.

MacMuse
03-23-12, 02:50 PM

Mine remains active into is April and covers lights, but any CPO that goes beyond that time is likely the revised CPO that no longer covers lights. Visit your Service Advisor and ask them to check. Their opinion/answer is the only one that matters.

Naptownswangin2
06-02-12, 09:02 PM
Bad ass information. Fixed the passenger side in less than an hour.

Thank you!