: factory painted 19's vs. factory polished 19's

bigdude74
02-18-09, 01:59 PM
I've got a 2009 cts-v on order and it's coming with polished rims.. but the build date isn't for 3 weeks and i'm having buyers remorse on the wheels.. my dealer wasn't much help in describing the paint color on the painted rims.. could someone please post close-up pics of their painted 19's? it would be very much appreciated.. thank you

pmsteinm
02-18-09, 02:55 PM
I don't have any pictures, but I have seen both wheels. A month ago a dealer here had 2 V's, one with polished, one with painted. I like the look of the polished better, but it might depend on what color car you've got. The polished are shinny, but not overly so. The painted looked like flat gray wheels. I think the polished go wheel with the other bits of shinny exterior trim on the V (like around the doors).

In the end, it prob won't matter since these wheel will prob get as much brake dust on them as the V1's do. I ordered my V with the polished...should build sometime next week.

MYV8ABMR
02-18-09, 04:34 PM
Ive got the polished wheels......they look great but the brake dust does accumulate quickly........they dont stay clean longer than a couple days.......the fronts stay clean for maybe a day......depending on how hard the car is driven of course

OldRoadDawg
02-18-09, 04:42 PM
I've got a 2009 cts-v on order and it's coming with polished rims.. but the build date isn't for 3 weeks and i'm having buyers remorse on the wheels.. my dealer wasn't much help in describing the paint color on the painted rims.. could someone please post close-up pics of their painted 19's? it would be very much appreciated.. thank you

Links here to CadV's:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1719363-post14.html

Razorecko
02-18-09, 05:08 PM
Also as stated by a forum caddy dealer that if you wanted to change anything on your order than your original order would have to be cancelled and a new one created. This would prolong the delivery by a good while.

GM-4-LIFE
02-18-09, 05:10 PM
Here's a pic of my wheels and I love the painted wheels with the silver exterior paint color of the car. The polished wheels look good on all other colors.

SG

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ctsv-silver9.jpg

james4513
02-18-09, 08:53 PM
I got painted on my Red V. Look great - no need to spend the money for polished IMHO.

Good luck - James

bigdude74
02-18-09, 09:34 PM
thanks for your help..

good call on the re-order btw.. my concern is the road salt here in toronto, and what it might do to the polished aluminum.. probably no worse than what my wife will do to them trying to parallel park i suppose.. i guess i'll just have to wait for a bigger selection of oem winter rims to hit the market and buy them when they do.. hopefully they hit the market before next winter

Kadonny
02-19-09, 08:46 AM
I still think the polished look much better.

tedcmiller
02-20-09, 01:01 PM
Regardless of the car color, polished (or chrome) wheels look better. I had a 2004 CTS-V with painted wheels and changed them for chrome. It looked much better. When I traded the 2004 for a 2005 CTS-V, I swapped the chrome wheels with the tires because the new car had painted wheels (even though the tires on the new car's painted wheels had much less mileage). The accumulation of brake dust is the same for polished or painted wheels. That is not a factor. I now have a 2009 CTS-V with polished wheels.

Razorecko
02-20-09, 02:14 PM
Either go paint or go chrome. Polished w/ brake dust over 1 day looks as dull as painted. Atleast chrome looks cleaner for alot longer than either. I have a set of V2 wheels being "black chromed" by california chrome so when i get my V i can just straight swap :thumbsup:

OldDrummer55
02-20-09, 03:37 PM
I ordered painted to save $$, as the painted wheels look good and if I decide to get some bling later, I'll purchase aftermarket wheels that will make my V2 even more unique.

nc09v2
02-20-09, 05:22 PM
Given the price point of these cars, adding $900 for polished rims is a no brainer.

Unless one stumbles upon a car in the showroom with painted rims, spring for the polished, the brake dust isn't that bad, they still look plenty shiny a few days after the car is washed.

Razorecko
02-20-09, 05:52 PM
Given the price point of these cars, adding $900 for polished rims is a no brainer.

Unless one stumbles upon a car in the showroom with painted rims, spring for the polished, the brake dust isn't that bad, they still look plenty shiny a few days after the car is washed.

^ It cost me 900 to get them black chromed. 175 per wheel 200 for shipping

vperl
02-20-09, 11:00 PM
I ordered painted to save $$, as the painted wheels look good and if I decide to get some bling later, I'll purchase aftermarket wheels that will make my V2 even more unique.

FlyBoy, I am cheap also.... the Band is holding

:thumbsup::thehand::thumbsup:

tedcmiller
02-21-09, 12:34 AM
Polished w/ brake dust over 1 day looks as dull as painted.

Not true. I have polished wheels and they look much better than painted wheels even with a lot of brake dust.

CadV
02-22-09, 10:32 AM
I like polished/chrome better as well. I think they hold up to break dust a lot better. Brake dust cakes on painted wheels. If my car came with polished there would of been no need for new rims. I dunno why but I do not like silver paint on rims.

tedcmiller
02-22-09, 03:49 PM
CadV, you don't like painted rims because they don't look as good as polished/chrome rims. Also, practically every other car on the road that doesn't have wheel covers (e.g., BMW) uses the same paint scheme, i.e., silver, on the rims. It is pretty boring.